PDA

View Full Version : VW Paint Warranty & Cruise Control

KathW
01-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi all I am new to this forum and was wondering if someone would be able to give me some advise.

I own a 56 plated vw golf - which i have had for almost 10 months now. I have recently noticed that it appears the paint has started to peel on the side of the drivers door - i notice that VW offer a paint warranty and was wondering if anyone had also had this happen to them and whether this is something that would be covered under the warranty?

Secondly, i'm having problems with my cruise control on my car whereby it's turning itself off (so that the symbol isn't showing on the dash board) but yet it is switched on, on top of the indicator stick - and this is something that seems to be happening regularly - it can switch itself on and off as and when it pleases - has anyone else suffered from this problem?? If so how did you get it resolved?? I'm unsure as to whether or not this is something i can claim under its warranty??

Kind Regards

Kath

Ben
01-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Make use of the warranty. Both these major issues should be covered.
Get it to the dealers. :p

Do you take it through a car wash? if so, i wouldn't let the dealers know. Car washes are not good for paintwork.

KathW
01-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Make use of the warranty. Both these major issues should be covered.
Get it to the dealers. :p

Do you take it through a car wash? if so, i wouldn't let the dealers know. Car washes are not good for paintwork.

I have taken it through the car wash a few times but prefer to wash it myself as i find it much more satisfying.

As for both being covered - I hope so - but i just wondered if anyone else had experience the same thing - especially with the paint - because my dad thinks that because of where the paint has started to peel that they will claim that this is where the door has hit something etc - but i am incredibly protective when it comes to my car - and i know i haven't smacked the door against anything - and its in such a weird place that i very much doubt that someone would have been able to open their door and smack mine causing the damage it has done (i will try and get photos of it at some stage)

Also, as faras i was aware the side strips are further out than the door itself and is suppose to stop this from happening - but i'm not 100% sure if this is true or not??

As for the cruise control - touch wood - it appears to be ok at the moment - but when it does go wrong - if i turn the engine off and back on again it works fine - it's most confusing :confused:

Eshrules
01-07-2007, 06:49 PM
I have taken it through the car wash a few times but prefer to wash it myself as i find it much more satisfying.

As for both being covered - I hope so - but i just wondered if anyone else had experience the same thing - especially with the paint - because my dad thinks that because of where the paint has started to peel that they will claim that this is where the door has hit something etc - but i am incredibly protective when it comes to my car - and i know i haven't smacked the door against anything - and its in such a weird place that i very much doubt that someone would have been able to open their door and smack mine causing the damage it has done (i will try and get photos of it at some stage)

Also, as faras i was aware the side strips are further out than the door itself and is suppose to stop this from happening - but i'm not 100% sure if this is true or not??

As for the cruise control - touch wood - it appears to be ok at the moment - but when it does go wrong - if i turn the engine off and back on again it works fine - it's most confusing :confused:

hmmm...

paintwork.... unless there is a dent there or proof that the door has been accident damaged, the dealer will have no choice but to honour the paint warranty. so i really wouldnt worry about that.

cruise control.... thats a rather dangerous fault to be putting up with, something electrical could be going on there that you do not know about, get it to the dealer, explain what you have explained in this thread and they will have to investigate, even if the fault fails to demonstrate under inspection, you have reported it, so when it becomes more often, they have no choice but to repair. :beerchug:

Ben
01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Yes i have to agree with carl here.

The dealers are there for a reason, go and hassle them, VW's aren't the cheapest so now you can begin to get your money's worth;)

Eshrules
01-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Yes i have to agree with carl here.

The dealers are there for a reason, go and hassle them, VW's aren't the cheapest so now you can begin to get your money's worth;)

another thing i forgot....

HASSLE, if they dont do anything, hassle some more and keep hassling until they sort it. the one thing to remember, dealerships, salesman and all those pesky fools aren't allowed to hassle you. you're a consumer, you have thousands of rights and you're allowed to hassle them until the cows come home. remain polite and courteous at all times and theres nothing they can do ;)

my general tip for getting the service you deserve? expect twice the level of service you currently receive.

i admit i am one of the most complaining people on this planet, but you dont get anything otherwise.... look out for my next post ;)

Ben
01-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Please let us know how you get on .:D

KathW
01-07-2007, 11:08 PM
another thing i forgot....

HASSLE, if they dont do anything, hassle some more and keep hassling until they sort it. the one thing to remember, dealerships, salesman and all those pesky fools aren't allowed to hassle you. you're a consumer, you have thousands of rights and you're allowed to hassle them until the cows come home. remain polite and courteous at all times and theres nothing they can do ;)

my general tip for getting the service you deserve? expect twice the level of service you currently receive.

i admit i am one of the most complaining people on this planet, but you dont get anything otherwise.... look out for my next post ;)

Oh believe me i am one of the worst people for complaining -I've tried to contact my local VW dealership but so far got no response, so i've sent an email to the owner and to the service team asking for them to contact me - if i dont hear anything tomorrow when i get home from work, i shall call them again and see what happens. Thanks for your help and advise guys - i will definitely keep you posted on the outcome :D

KathW
02-07-2007, 08:32 PM
The dealers contacted me today and they have booked my car in on the 11th July to try and resolve the above - and i've asked for a courtesy car so that i can still get to work (which they have agreed to) but have said that i need to take my driving license and my insurance documents (does that mean they want me to insure the car under my own insurance?)

Will keep your posted about what happens....

Ben
02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
no, its standard procedure, they'll photocopy your licence and they need proof you have insurance and that you are covered to drive other cars.

I had to do this today, oh and something else, thay commented today that i had 6 points (2 lots of 3 for speeding) on my licence and they don't usually allow unnacompanied test drives with this many points but they made an exception this time.

I did point out to them that 3 had expired ages ago but i'm unwilling to pay to have a new updated licence.

KathW
02-07-2007, 11:09 PM
no, its standard procedure, they'll photocopy your licence and they need proof you have insurance and that you are covered to drive other cars.

I had to do this today, oh and something else, thay commented today that i had 6 points (2 lots of 3 for speeding) on my licence and they don't usually allow unnacompanied test drives with this many points but they made an exception this time.

I did point out to them that 3 had expired ages ago but i'm unwilling to pay to have a new updated licence.

Yea but i don't see why i should have to pay to insure the courtesy car - if the reason i can't use my own is because they didn't paint it properly in the first place - plus i don't think i am insured to drive other cars anyway....so not quite sure how that's going to work

Oh and i can't say i blame you for not paying to have an updated licence

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Yea but i don't see why i should have to pay to insure the courtesy car - if the reason i can't use my own is because they didn't paint it properly in the first place - plus i don't think i am insured to drive other cars anyway....so not quite sure how that's going to work

Oh and i can't say i blame you for not paying to have an updated licence

do remember.... they're taking the car in for repair, they're providing you with a courtesy car.... they dont HAVE to do this ;) if you kick up a stink about insuring it, they could refuse to let you have it... if you're obstructive of their repairs etc, it will work against you if you ever have to involve t.standards. tbh most insurance companies only charge a £10 admin fee for the duration of the insurance change, so just ask them to swap it over whilst your car is in ;)

danthurston
07-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi Kath,
I'm new here as well.
I have a caddy van- a lot of the electrics are the same as most new VW cars. The cruise control started to occasionally turn off while driving. (sometimes it happended as i pressed the indicator stalk up or down.)

When i say it turned off by itself, i mean that although the toggle switch on top of the indicator stalk was left in the on position but the light on the dash would go off and the van wouldn't hold it's speed.

Everytime i turned engine off and back on it would start working again. It happened more and more often until it just would never turn on. Interestingly, when i took it in for service i mentioned it and asked if they could take a look. I picked up the van and they said no problem found- sure enough it worked perfectly and reliably.

Question: What has cruise control got to do with anything they carry out in the service?

Anyway it's just started happening again, so i'm baffled. I shall take it in to dealer soon but would be very interested what result you get.

Maybe the electrics wer supplied by peugeot!!

KathW
07-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Hi Dan - will do

And who knows maybe the electrics were supplied by Renault - as their's are pretty diabolical as well....I will keep you posted about what happens....

KathW
10-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Ok well my car has just gone in now to be looked at - and i've got a Polo as a courtesy car and i must say it's absolutely TERRIBLE to drive - definitely makes you more aware of the difference and the quality there is in the golf.....

Can't wait to have my car back.....

KathW
11-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Ok well my car is back....they said that the cruise control kept going off due to faulty switch so they have replaced that - but are refusing to repair the paint, so i have requested they put in a paint claim under the warranty.

However, I also want to write/call customer services, when i went to collect my car - they had been looking through all my personal belongings, they'd gone through my glovebox, used my sunglasses, messed about with the stereo, air con etc - and it only went in for cruise control and paint....

Not a happy bunny......

Anyone know the address??? Or how i can find it?? I've tried googling it but i'm not having much luck.... :-(

Ben
11-07-2007, 07:58 PM
it'll be on the VW website www.vw.co.uk (http://www.vw.co.uk)

in here http://www.vw.co.uk/company/faq#contact

danthurston
11-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear your probs.
Hope my cruise is as easy to fix-it goes in tomorrow- see what happens.
Go straight to the top if you don't get anywhere with the claim for the paint and other. There's nothing like a written letter to a managing director- it sometimes does wonders!, (but sometimes doesn't)

danthurston
13-07-2007, 06:35 PM
result! they fixed the cruise the sdame day- combination switch appantly.
Hope you get your paint sorted.