PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat location pls help !!!

cbrpaul
01-07-2007, 01:09 PM
I think my thermostat is sticking ,

Top hose seem hot but not much fluid in them ,coolent dribbles only into coolent tank, rad and bottom hoses seems cold , heater ok ,

I want to replace it

But where is the dam thing located ?

I have a Sharan 1999 1.9tdi non PD ,but guess its the same enigne in most others !!!

some pictures be great too

many THX

andy e
01-07-2007, 09:40 PM
the thermostat is located underneath the engine in the water pump housing,

cbrpaul
01-07-2007, 10:16 PM
the thermostat is located underneath the engine in the water pump housing,

R u serious !!!!

Stevef.
01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi ,i have a golf with the same engine ,thermostat is in the plastic housing which the top rad hose fits onto on the engine block, 2 allen or torx bolts hold it on i would have thought it will be the same ,could be wrong though.;)

cbrpaul
02-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi ,i have a golf with the same engine ,thermostat is in the plastic housing which the top rad hose fits onto on the engine block, 2 allen or torx bolts hold it on i would have thought it will be the same ,could be wrong though.;)

thats more like it, thx Steve,

i did see this plastic housing just above the oil filter , and wondered if it was indeed the stat housing !! , it has various pipes going into it too , correct ? ,

Im getting the VW manual on CD soon , so will confirm then !!!

andy e
02-07-2007, 05:01 PM
the thermostat housing on the 1.9tdi engine code afn is underneath the engine, i know cos i've changed mine. unless i'm australian:p:D

cbrpaul
02-07-2007, 06:36 PM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1730221

front left side lower of engine :D

andy e
02-07-2007, 07:02 PM
sorted now have fun changing it, a piece of advice get a thermostsat with the sealing ring that wraps round, not one that is separate, as trying to hold themo, sealing ring, and thermo cover, you need three hands:D

cbrpaul
05-07-2007, 11:55 AM
sorted now have fun changing it, a piece of advice get a thermostsat with the sealing ring that wraps round, not one that is separate, as trying to hold themo, sealing ring, and thermo cover, you need three hands:D

andy

I just got the VW Elsesis or what ever it is CD , and the stat is indeed in the bottom of the water pump !!!

Did you do the job from underneath the car ?

I got ramps and will get the car on them i think, and work from underneath !!

andy e
05-07-2007, 05:12 PM
that is wot i did, ramps, work from underneath car. if u have elsawin diagrams for pollen filter r in maintenance manual under dust and pollen filter won,t be online over weekend, from tonight cheers andy:o

cbrpaul
06-07-2007, 01:50 PM
cheers Andy

Pollen filter now changed !!! i dont think it was ever changed !!!:zx11:

The only problem i had was re-fitting the wiper system incorrectly , and couldnt get that dam air dam back in lol

sorted now though !!!

next job stat , but i may jsut wait and see what heppens on a long run !!
:beerchug:

andy e
18-07-2007, 09:50 PM
hi did u get thermostat and filter sorted? had major probs with mine see thread "cambelt what a plonker" regards andy

cbrpaul
18-07-2007, 10:14 PM
filter all done m8 ,,

I have not touched the stat as been on along run and all sems ok , so leaving it ;-)

andy e
13-11-2007, 11:31 PM
this one