PDA

View Full Version : front wheel issue

ckrisrok
12-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Thought i would have all the wheels off today and give them a good clean inside and out.

all went fine until I got to the drivers side front wheel one of the studs has been rounded off by some animal and obviously wont come undone.

Is there still a tool made that fits over said nut and grips it so as it can be undone, remember something like a big socker with rods inside it that grip..

I know i could go to a garage and they could wind it out but thought i would do it myself.
and is it best to get a new stud from the dealers supposing they dont want an arm and leg for it..??

cheers..:beerchug:

Crasher
12-02-2011, 06:52 PM
That can be horrid to deal with. There are left hand thread damaged nut/bolt removers but they are quite chunky and will not go into wheels that have tight holes around the socket. You could end up having to drill the head off and then mole grip the remains out when the wheel is off.

gblades
12-02-2011, 09:21 PM
How about giving these a try :-
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/5-piece-bolt-grip-set/path/socket-sets-sockets-tool-sets
They do an expansion set with other sizes so make sure you get the kit with the size you need.

Buzzoff
13-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I had this issue some years ago and what my friend and I did was to hammer on a forged steel socket(smaller size) on to the wheel bolt and then un cracked the nackered wheel bolt.

I was lucky and the wheel did not get any damage (I let my friend do that part, I could not watch).

Please note it was a forged socket and not a normal socket that would shatter.

Good luck!

ckrisrok
13-02-2011, 03:29 PM
yeah i bust a socket yesterday trying that,
will look in to getting some nut extractors i think always handy.:biggthump

Buzzoff
13-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Remember you need a forged socket(the one's like garages use) not a normal socket.

Take care with drilling the wheel bolt, the last thing you want to do is snap the drill.

I would take it to a garage and see if they could remove it for you.

All the best

Buzz

Mike2.0TQ
14-02-2011, 10:48 PM
My brother had a similar issue with a rounded wheel nut, admittedly this wasn't on his pride and joy like yours is but he used a gator grip socket. Worked for him but it depends on how bad yours is.

Buzzoff
14-02-2011, 10:50 PM
It's worth a try:approve:

ckrisrok
16-02-2011, 06:48 PM
yeah i dont mind how it comes off, as long as it doesn't damage the wheel at all, then will get a new bolt to replace...:biggthump

the gator grip is what i was thinking of originally...:-))