PDA

View Full Version : a6 timing belt

dexsan
01-07-2007, 11:58 AM
hi i am thinking of buying a 02 a6 1.9tdi avant my question is when should the timing belt be replaced, as this has 89k and in the service history has no metion of it being done.another thing is the engine temp sensor is reading wrong ( as in the engine is running hot but its not) is this a problem in a6s and a expensive thing to fix.
cheers

adamss24
01-07-2007, 12:29 PM
If there is no mention in the service history of the timing belt being replaced, then have it done straight away+ all the tensioners and water pump. The CTS (coolant temp sensor) is easy, just unplug the conector, pull the spring clip and replace with the new one. On some models, there may be 2 of them, one for the ECU, the other for the temp gauge.

paul b
30-07-2007, 10:54 PM
hi i am thinking of buying a 02 a6 1.9tdi avant my question is when should the timing belt be replaced, as this has 89k and in the service history has no metion of it being done.another thing is the engine temp sensor is reading wrong ( as in the engine is running hot but its not) is this a problem in a6s and a expensive thing to fix.
cheers
Hi
If there was no mention of it being done and it has 89K, I would get it replaced immediately. I would guess they do 40-60K to a timing belt, so the belt has lasted a while, must be good quality! Anyway, if you are a DIY mechanic you can buy a timing belt kit on e-bay for £29.99 which would sort it out.

chrisvrscrx
30-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I have a passat 1.9 tdi and i think I have the same engine as you AWX. The intervals are 4 years or 80,000 miles. If you haven't bought it yet get the garage to do it, unless its a private sale then I wouldn't bother just incase it goes when you drive it away.

morticiaskeeper
31-07-2007, 07:42 AM
The A6 1.9tdi I've just bought has a full Audi history, the belt was done at 54k.

Before I bought, I asked my tame MOT tester/mechanic when it should be changed. He reckoned there was no set mileage, but he wouldn't take it beyond 60k.