PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 Engine miss when warm

CloggsA6
01-07-2007, 11:39 AM
:1zhelp:

I have a 2.4 Avant which has been my van/limousine/skip/kennel/dray and friend for 3 great years.

It is a 1999 with 110,000 genuine on her. I have just picked her up from having oil/filters and plug change at my local garage - trusting and knowlegable if albeit very small - and since driving her away she has developed this 'missing' when warm.

I drove her from cold and within 5 miles, the engine warmed and developed the misfire. She is the same when idle. I couldn't drive it back to the garage coz he was closing/leaving as I drove away.

This morning, started her in my garage from cold, smooth as usual, got her warmed up and the misfire has appeared.

I am toying with changing the car but not for a few months yet. Please help as I want to have a cheap fix to this one.

The garage is off for a week on hols hence my post, if it is simple happy days... if it is the MAF or expensive...:aargh4:

Peter D
01-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Is the miss regular i.e. one cylinder or at random. This could be a faulty plug or ignition coil unit. Regards Peter

s6sputnik
01-07-2007, 04:47 PM
TAKE IT BACK... you probably got the wrong plugs or one was bad.

CloggsA6
04-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the posts. I did take the car back to the garage which opened up for me w/o the owner there!!!

The guy that did the service changed the plugs from Bosch 4 prongs to Ngk twins which improved it considerably, but he then went and plugged the diagnostic reader in and we have found that the camshaft sensor on bank 2 (cyl 4,5,6) is faulty.

I've ordered one and will have it fitted next week. I will keep you up to date.

First post, excellent site, great people on line.

Thanks once more.

CloggsA6
12-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Just to let you know, I bought the Camshaft Sensor from a local factors at considerably less money than Audi wanted. £40 +vat. The sensor was supplied by Ukfuelparts.co.uk.

Peter D
12-07-2007, 08:26 AM
We assume then that it fixed the problem. Regards Peter

CloggsA6
13-07-2007, 08:25 PM
B**lox..... picked it up today, problem still there. It misses like hell below 2,500rpm, picks up afterwards...
It was a pain leaving the town driving, but obviously on the open road it was business as usual. I wont push it for fear of damaging it.
Just sat down now, bottle of Stella, Forum and I'll order a new set of leads online.
#### ARE THEY A PIG TO CHANGE? ANY SPECIAL TOOLS?
I think i might give it a go myself.... the garage? well confidence is low.
Plus on Auto trader, 29,000 miler, SE 02 plate £8995....
shall I, shant I????

*** Took it for a drive today 140707. The 'miss' is between 0-2000 rpm.. after that seems ok but haven't pushed it to experiment*******

brokenfib
15-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Hmmm, got a 2000 Bora 2.0 with the exact same problem, i.e. fine when cold, miss on low revs until you boot it and all seems fine. Fuel consumption aint great, but all I do is potter round town (same town as you judging by the O's in that lovely flag ).

Was hoping to find the answer with your thread, but no updates??

PS - Shame about Munster :Screem:

Niall76
16-05-2010, 01:26 AM
I've had a similar problem. It turned out that the oil filler cap rubber seal was a bit old and was letting a small dribble of oil out. The dribble ran into one of the plugs (the plugs are recessed) and would fill the recess. It was gumming up the plug a bit and would cause a bit of misfiring. Cleaning it out confirmed this as it stopped when I did it. New seal and jobs a good un. Certainly something to look at first as it will cost you nothing.

If you're going to change the HT leads then go to Euro car parts as the full set for my V6 was £76. From Audi they are £32 +VAT each!.....

brokenfib
16-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks Niall.

Had a quick check and you are right. The recess wasnt that bad but I suppose it just acts like a well to even the smallest of drips. Right side plug and connecting HT lead cap had some oil. Cleaned it out and it does seem to be running well. Due to one thing and another (the Wife!) not had a chance to take it out for a proper run, but will use the car for work tomorrow and see what happens.

This could work out to be the cheapest 'electrical' problem to resolve ever!

Cheers.

lonky
24-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I had similar issue a few years ago, plug below oil filler is prone to fail before the other five due to oil contamination from filler cap.

You can buy the lead on it's own, only about £30 from audi

cleaning it rectified for a few days then fault came back. Changing lead cured the issue totally