PDA

View Full Version : How to bleed breaks

nickeym1
12-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Hey fellas how do i bleed the breaks on my car. I changed the pads a few months but did not bleed the breaks and they feel quite spongey. How hard is it to bleed them

abyrne153
12-02-2011, 10:26 AM
You should not need to bleed brakes after changing pads. Bear in mind though that you need a special tool to screw back the pistons in the rear calipers. If you force these back, as some people have, you can damage the calipers.

nickeym1
12-02-2011, 11:08 AM
You should not need to bleed brakes after changing pads. Bear in mind though that you need a special tool to screw back the pistons in the rear calipers. If you force these back, as some people have, you can damage the calipers.
Hi mate i do have the tool for that but i thought the brakes did have to be bled after changing pads. What could it be then if the brakes dont need to be bled. I drove my sisters 98 toyota avensis the other day and the brakes were so good i realised how bad mine were id really like to get them sorted

Columbo
12-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Brake fluid needs changing every 2 years or when it feels spongy.

Correct way is:

Clutch slave (yes, clutch) first, FL, FR, RL then RR. As taken from Elsawin.

spartacus 68
14-02-2011, 11:08 PM

Correct way is:

Worth mentioning, wire brush the brake nipples before completing the job, and spray Duck Oil penetrating release on them a few days before attempting this. A proper 10mm (if memory serves me) hex-brake spanner is a worthwhile investment. :D

benjie
15-02-2011, 12:07 AM

Correct way is:

Just out of interest, why does the slave cylinder need draining? (I'm changing my brakes soon - getting a VW tech mate to do it though!)

nevo
15-02-2011, 11:43 AM
It shares the same reservoir and fluid,pointless changing the brake fluid then leaving the clutch full of old stuff,this is text book changing but isn't often done.

SWARCUP
15-02-2011, 12:01 PM
You only bleed the brakes after changing a caliper not pads, thats what ive always been told. I would have thought you can change the brake fluid by opening the bleed nipples on the calipers and pumping the brake pedal to remove the old fluid (one at a time)but make sure you keep the resvoir topped up with new so not to drag air into the system. You will use quite a lot of fluid though i would imagine. Or take it to a garage and get them to do it.

nevo
15-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Nickeym1 are you having to pump the pedal a couple of times?

nickeym1
16-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Nickeym1 are you having to pump the pedal a couple of times?
Ya mate very spongey pedal no bite at all. Where do i bleed the clutch though and how much brake fluid should i get roughly to change the fluid and is there any paticular make i need to get for audi or anything

nickeym1
16-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Actually im getting the clutch and flywheel changed next monday should i wait to change the brake fluid or does it matter or maby i should get the mechanic to change the fluid at the same time but i would really like to know how to do it but im just worried bout doing something wrong and damaging something :o

nevo
16-02-2011, 01:58 PM
When you changed the pads did you just push the pistons back in the caliper or did you undo the bleed nipple? anyway its a lot easier to do when the cars in the air, any dot 4 fluid is ok (dont shake the bottle)also check you have'nt twisted any of the flexi hose's to the caliper.your mechanic will should have a pressure bleeder which is a lot easier.

nickeym1
16-02-2011, 02:02 PM
When you changed the pads did you just push the pistons back in the caliper or did you undo the bleed nipple? anyway its a lot easier to do when the cars in the air, any dot 4 fluid is ok (dont shake the bottle)also check you have'nt twisted any of the flexi hose's to the caliper.your mechanic will should have a pressure bleeder which is a lot easier.
No i didnt go near the bleed nipple i bought a tool to push it back in. One way or the other the fluid has not been changed and i have the car about two years i think. Didnt check the pads i think there still ok though and dont think i twisted any of the hoses or anything like that but i dont think the brakes were even very good after i changed the pads (about a year ago i think maby less

nickeym1
16-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Sorry nevo but where do i bleed the clutch from? Might go at it now i think nothin to do anyway and how much fluid should i buy

nevo
16-02-2011, 02:10 PM
At the slave cylinder on the gearbox,a litre should do it,where did you get the pads from and what make.

nickeym1
16-02-2011, 02:12 PM
At the slave cylinder on the gearbox,a litre should do it,where did you get the pads from and what make.
I would need to get underneath to get at that then?? Not sure what make the pads are mate i got in my local motor factors so there not genuine anyway

nevo
16-02-2011, 02:48 PM
All the pads look the same but they dont stop you the same!anyway get the system bled before we start pointing the finger at the pads.

nickeym1
16-02-2011, 06:19 PM
All the pads look the same but they dont stop you the same!anyway get the system bled before we start pointing the finger at the pads.
Couldnt get at them today lashing rain here in the sunny south east as its known :) No garage unfortunately