PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 8L - cluster swap, now won't start, help!

Endacy
11-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi.

So I decided I hated my dead DIS in my 2000 A3 1.8TQS, and bought a 'new' dash from ebay, I think it's an exchange dealer one possibly. It was zero miles.

I have the SKC for both new and old clusers.

I transferred the soft coding from the old cluster, and set the mileage fine. I coded the keys fine. This is using my newly registered VCDS.

I try and start the car and it dies after 1 second, the engine then shows DTC 17978, start blocked by immobiliser.

I have followed the Ross-Tech instructions on how to swap an Immo 2 cluster including the adaptions - 00 - read - save, bit to match to the ECU. I've done this several times but with no luck. The cluster is happy with the keys so it's something else. I did wonder if the new dash somehow was IMMO 3, so tried to access channel 050 after entering the PIN to see if it would pull the VIN etc. but it said 'channel not available' so i'm pretty sure it's Immo 2. I've disconnected the battery as suggested somewhere else to reset everything, no luck. The battery voltage has been fine, it was on a charger at the time.

I have put the old cluster back, coded the key, and it starts fine - it's running outside now!

The only difference I can see is in the old cluster 'extra' field has some funny symbols like it's misread the data followed by the Immo ID. The new one has XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX followed by an Immo ID.

Help! Why won't it start, the immobiliser doesn't like 'something' - but what? It's not the keys and the immobiliser light isn't on.

I also posted this on another forum but since then checked some other things including measuring blocks 22-24 finding the following, although they are listed as Immo 3 measuring blocks from here (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-measuring-blocks.html)

engine start permitted - yes
ecu responding - yes
key condition ok - yes
key variable code matched - yes
immobiliser adopted normal conditon
lock out minutes = 0 (not locked out)

The only odd one was
transponder status - Transponder in key is not locked. Key has not yet been adapted to Instrument Cluster (new replacement key)

However the other option is Transponder in key is locked. Key can no longer be adapted to a different Immobilizer System. so I don't think that's what i'd want it to say anyway.

Here are the screeshots of the cluster info:

Old one:

New one:

I really can't see why the ECU thinks the immobiliser has stopped it running when the cluster seems perfectly happy. I see one is a D09 model and the new one is D12 but they *look* identical...