PDA

View Full Version : Allroad wheel arches and bumpers

Phutters
11-02-2011, 07:34 PM
I wonder if anyone can suggest what I might use on my Allroad's painted plastic bits.

When it was new the wheel arches and bumpers had a smart semi-matt finish, but over the years they've collected unavoidable scuffs and scratches. Some are from dragging cadavers out of the back, some are the result of Mrs Phutters getting out without applying the handbrake (resulting in a very low speed wall/front bumper altercation), and there are some faint scuffs on the wheel arches caused by chasing water buffalo through the thick and unforgiving scrub of the Serengeti.

I've tried one or two things which sort of worked; that Auto Glym green bumper toothpaste and something in an aerosol. The bumper toothpaste works well in disguising the scratches, but leaves a kind of cheap 'n' glossy 40 watt fairground dodgems finish.

The other stuff - I can't remember what it was now, though I do remember it being an exterior trim treatment of some sort - was okay in the low-sheen department, but it didn't last long.

And rather than the pleasantly refreshing hint of citrus it was supposed to impart, it left the car smelling like a tart's handbag.

Is there anything which will disguise small scuffy scuffs and leave a nice semi-matt finish, or am I hoping for too much?

Any and all suggestions welcome

Pete

P.S. The car is a Mk I Allroad with the standard bumpers and wheel arches, not the Special Edition half-painted pimped-up job with the drug dealer rear windows.

kite
11-02-2011, 11:43 PM
I have heard about warming the plastic with a hairdyer has good results or believe it or not
Peanut butter !!!!

Phutters
12-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Peanut butter !!!!Outstanding :cool:

I'd try it if I thought I could do it without puking. Peanut butter is the scrapings from the Devil's smalls.

How about Marmite?

I could do Marmite, no sweat...

kite
12-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Not sure if marmite will work....it might, it might not.
Have a look on detailing world for idea's

Phutters
12-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Have a look on detailing world for idea'sI will.

But only when I'm absolutely sure nobody's peeking over my shoulder.

TurnipLicker
10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
I have heard about warming the plastic with a hairdyer has good results or believe it or not
Peanut butter !!!!

My neighbours think im a complete retard, but im definitely an advocate of the butter of peanut.

Been using it for ages, and its just as good as any off the shelf product from halfords, and a lot cheaper.

Only downside of peanut butter is that i quite reguarly find cats licking my cars plastic parts.