PDA

View Full Version : Heater Control Cable (air Distribution)

kwic50
01-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Hi I wonder if anyone has removed the heater control switches and had the control cable fall out of place? any idea's to the location of where it belongs, I have been under the dash with a torch and mirror all day.

Quatrelle
01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Hopefully Jim (Flash2) will be along to help....In the meantime have a read of this earlier thread on here:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=10837

Flash2
02-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Yes, I'm here:)
The easiest way to get this sorted is to pop into your local VW dealer and tell them that it has stopped working. They'll fix it for you for free under warranty. just don't tell them you've had the controls off.

I assume that the cable has detached at the heater box end. If you lift the heater controls out and look into the right side of the hole, up under the radio you should see the hole where the cable connects. It's a barsteward to refit so if it's not obvious that you've had the control panel off, take it to the dealer. If that's not an option, switch on the heater and find out where the air is coming out. If it's coming out the demister vents then rotate the control to the demist symbol. If it's blowing out at your feet, set the control to that position. That gets the cable and the socket on the heater box aligned in the correct positions. Remove the radio. There is a hole at the bottom of the space where the radio fits. Get the fingers of your left hand in that whole and try and grip the end of the cable as you push the heater panel in with your right. Now, do you remember where that hole you saw earlier is? Your goal is to try and move the cable about until it pushes into that hole. Like I said, it's a barsteward. I usually remove the side panel from the off side of the floor consol and get someone to lie on their back and look up under the dash and guide me towards the hole.
Sorry, but there is no by the numbers way to do this. It's just touchie feelie until it clicks into place. Take it to Western (isn't Edinburgh in the East?).

Good luck - Jim.

Flash2
03-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Well I managed to snap a couple of photos of the heater cable to see if it will help you refit it. I did a bit of mucking about to see what was the best way to refit it. I found that the best way to get at the cable is to remove...wait for it...the airbag, steering wheel and lower steering cowling. I know that sounds like a lot of bother, but it only takes a few mins to strip it all off if you have the tools handy, (a T20 torx driver for the cowling and a 10mm spline socket for the steering wheel) and it'll be quicker in the..eh..long run...if you see what I mean.

The airbag is removed by adjusting the steering column down as low as it will go and pulling it out towards you. Turn the steering wheel to the 3 o'clock position and insert the blade of a plain screw driver in the hole on the back of the steering wheel and rotate the driver towards the off side. Rotate the wheel through 180 degrees and repeat the last step. Disconnect the yellow airbag connector by pulling the release lever at the top towards you with your finger. Keep the ignition off while the airbag is removed or you'll bring the warning light on.
Make sure the wheels are straight before removing the steering wheel. There is an index mark on the wheel and another on the steering shaft that help ensure the wheel is refitted straight. Don't rotate the airbag slip ring while the steering wheel is removed.

Below are a couple of photos taken through the space where the steering cowling is fitted.

I hope that helps, Keith.

Jim.

bluetba
29-10-2007, 03:31 PM
These pictures saved my bacon this morning, I removed the heater controls and then discovered the cable had come a drift, I had no idea where it had come from, but thanks to this post and pictures I was easily able to see where and put it back in without having to strip out the dashboard, steering wheel etc as you had!!
:beerchug:

Flash2
29-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Glad I could help.

Jim.

bogweed
24-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Two years later, and this post is still helping.

I fitted the Connects2 IPOD adaptor and the heater control cable fell off - couldn't work out where it went until I came across this post. CHEERS!!

Flash2
24-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Your very welcome.

Jim.

BEASTOFMACDOOM
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi bluetba. Im new on here, but have the same problem locating where the cable goes. exactly where is it? Ive stripped the centre console out and still cant see.....please help

monzo24
13-10-2011, 10:48 PM
These pictures saved my bacon this morning, I removed the heater controls and then discovered the cable had come a drift, I had no idea where it had come from, but thanks to this post and pictures I was easily able to see where and put it back in without having to strip out the dashboard, steering wheel etc as you had!!
can you pls enlighten me. Were you able to refit cable by only removing heater controls, without removing the radio?

monzo24
14-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Pls pm me, as I have the radio and controls out, and still cannot figure out how to refit the cable, its 10" long overall, and it was positioned through a oval gap of the metal bar behind the controls. behind there I see like a two pronged plastic fork on the heater housing, but between it is no hole. As the cable is so short, it has to be there somewhere. pls help, so frustrating

monzo24
15-10-2011, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Flash2;52551]Yes, I'm here:)
The easiest way to get this sorted is to pop into your local VW dealer and tell them that it has stopped working. I wonder where you get that idea from, my vw dealer knows nothing about it, in fact he's never come across the problem.

monzo24
22-10-2011, 08:18 AM
update for those coming up against the problem of losing connection of the heater air flap control. Having learned how to do it, in fact it really is not as difficult as some suggest. On the passat B6 remove the radio and a/c control facia. It is all done by feel, so search to the top right corner of the radio housing, beyond where you can see, you will feel the teeth of the linkage, a bit below that explore the plastic heater housing lower down, you should clearly feel a hole aiming upward, this gives you an idea what you are aiming for.

Before you connect, operate the heater fan and aim the flaps to screen, and prepare the rotary control pointing to screen too.
Now, Clip the air flap cable (bowden cable) to the front rotary control, as you push the whole a/c assembly in, guide the cable in to the right side, angled about 45 degrees away from you, now its a matter of finding the hole in the heater housing. I removed the glove box to get to the wheel which operates the flaps and gently wiggled that to align the cogs, but you can simply wiggle the front rotary as you work the whole assembly in, be patient and do not turn the control too far else you lose the alignment. Good luck.

monzo24
22-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Would anyone warrant it? Before I solved the problem, I telephoned 4 different vw service departments. All hummed its a big job requiring dash board to come out, its all electronic, the rotary is electrical they all said, and none had any idea how to fix. Once I discovered it is indeed cable operated, my local dealer, even after talking to their technician, could not tell me where the cable is fed to as they have never come across the problem. They want us to pay over £100 an hour so that they can learn how to fix our cars. Call themselves experts?

hammermason
21-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks to everyone who have contributed to this thread, esp Monzo24 - I managed to sort this out today. I found that you don't really need to take out the heating controls - for me taking the stereo out is sufficient. Finding the hole took a while - I would describe it's location as top right of the Stereo plastic casing - the hole points down and the Bowden cable (which is pointing up!) just slots into it - too be honest, I'd thought I'd stuck it into a screw housing for the casing - but was very pleasantly surprised when the thing actually worked - it didn't slot in with a click or any other sign that it was supposed to go there.
Anyway - I hope this adds to the already good advice posted

Happy bodging! :zx11:

neildennis
26-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I too owe someone here a beer! Once I had seen the photo, I disconnected the bowden cable at the heater control end and by putting my hand through the largest hole at the back of the radio space put the cable back in within a minute. Wow my bluetooth kit is harder to fit then I thought. Next question - can anybody explain where I can should attach the loose red wire of my SOT harness which I am using to fit my bluetooth kit - mki9100. The harness comes with an ignition live but I think I need a permanent 12v live. I have ordered an 'add a circuit' and am hoping to find a permanent live on one of the interior fuse boxes - not sure which one though. I will get my multimeter out - but have read that the CANBUS may confuse things.

Thanks again for the help. 12V permanent live anyone?

patomlin76
26-03-2012, 10:58 PM
When i installed my parrot kit a while back, I'm sure the loose red SOT wire was for ignition live, as the permanent live is taken from the connection from the stereo block itself...

neildennis
27-03-2012, 09:29 PM
When i installed my parrot kit a while back, I'm sure the loose red SOT wire was for ignition live, as the permanent live is taken from the connection from the stereo block itself...

Here is why I am looking for a permanent live.

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii495/neildennis/loosered.jpg

The 12V label clearly ends up on the loose red wire. Am i wrong?

Flash2
27-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm glad the photos helped with the heater cable.

I think patomlin is correct, the loose wire is usually for an ignition supply. The easiest place to pick up an ignition supply is the passenger airbag warning light on the radio surround trim. From memory, it's the yellow wire (yellow/blue) that is the ignition supply to the lamp. If you disconnect the warning lamp, don't switch the ignition on or a fault will be logged in the airbag ECM and the airbag warning light on the instrument panel will come on. I don't usually disconnect the passenger airbag warning light when I remove the radio. I Simply place the trim over the gear stick, with the gear stick through the radio aperture on the trim.

A permanent live can be found on the radio connector. It's a kinda heavy red/yellow wire, opposite the brown earth, but I don't think a permanent live is what your looking for in this case.

Regards.

Jim.

Paul757
25-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the pics and fantastic description, AAHHHHH The answer to my problem....... SOLVED !!!!

Dayljake
18-08-2017, 10:29 PM
Hi all my cable has also come out of place but when put back in place feels like we're cable comes from heater unit seems seized hence only having heating only coming out or air vents on dash can't move it to feet or windscreen could anybody advise what to do it is not electronic unit it is manual again seems seized if this is possible. All help greatly appreciated

Paul757
19-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Hi , I have just read a great discription to a solution to your problem, by user - FLash2, under the "passat B6" fourm. look it up as a just read it and its good info.
I had the same problem last year with my heating control dials, and joined this form and got the info from the helpfull folk on here,
As FLash 2 reply says , it a touchy feelly job, and a heck of alot a patience required. I had my heater controls and radio out on 4 seprate occasions, and it was the 4th time that I finally got it sorted.
The cable that connects from the back of the heater direction control knob , I found out is called the "Bowden Cable". It connects from the rear of the heater directional control knob , up just behind the radio casing in the dashboard @ the rear right hand side of the radio. As FLash2 details say, its the bit behind the radio thats the touchy feely bit with no direct access, I was useing 2 of the Misiss smallest make up mirrors to try see in / behind / right hand side of radio panel. You need to take the radio out, you'll see few we circle triangle type holes in the casing were the radio slides into, you need to try stick 1 or 2 of your left hand fingers in through the bit nearest the rear right hand side of the radio unit and feel about for a wee round connection with very small plastic teeth on the inside of the circlular connection, this is were the top of the "Bowden Cable " connects to, in order to turn the air vent direction from windscreen/ dash vents/feet etc. Like a says it took 4 attempts at it, but stick with and you will get it eventually.
Here what order I got Bowden cable reconected:
1) Take out radio & Heater controls from dash
2) Connect Bowden cable to rear of heater control dial
3) As you push heater control panel back into dash, route the bowden cable up the right hand side Behind the plastic casing of were the radio slids into in the dash
4) As you put heater controls back into dash board, you need to know were the top end of the bowden cable goes, as it is only just long enough to fit exactly, there no play in it, so as you put the heater controls back into the dash with you right hand , you need to wiggle them bit and grab top end of cable with your left hands fingers that are poking through the right hand side of radio casing, to position the top of the cable onto the wee circular bit with the small plastic teeth on the inside of the circular connection, so as you push in the heater controls back in flush with the dashboard, the top of bowden cable will push in at same time as its an exact fit with no play in it.

Hope this helps.
Paul757

Flash2
19-08-2017, 05:11 PM
I have just read a great discription to a solution to your problem, by user - FLash2, under the "passat B6" fourm. look it up as a just read it and its good info.
Aw shucks...cheers mate :beerchug:

Would that be this post : Heater-Control-Cable-(air-Distribution) (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/11461-Heater-Control-Cable-(air-Distribution)?p=52551#post52551)

Degsy
14-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Hi, can you let me know what the symptoms of your problem were please? First 'cold' day today and I found that the driver's side would only blow cold air but the passenger side worked fine. I'm thinking that I may have dislodged the control cable when i changed my head unit but would have thought that it would have affected both sides rather than just one. Thanks

Flash2
15-09-2017, 09:23 AM
I found that the driver's side would only blow cold air but the passenger side worked fine.
Sounds like your car has dual zone climate control?

If that's the case there aren't any cables. It's a fully electronic system that uses electric motors to operate the controls. Maybe one of the motors has failed.

Degsy
15-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Thanks - yep, does have dual zone climate. Guess I'm off to get it scanned for faults.

Just an update. Scan complete and all blower motors working however the sensor in the driver's vent appears to have failed as it's stuck on 80degrees. I don't profess to understand how this works but guess the sensor thinks it's warmer than it is meaning it blows cold air? Anyway, I'll change the sensor and see what happens.

Oscaroscar
20-12-2017, 10:28 AM
Hello flash. I have the same issue but my cable came off both side. I know the control panel side but where is the other side goes and what is look like. Dont know what i am looking for

DieselMonster
20-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Hmm....I've seen where to top part goes, now I don't know whether you can get to it by removing the radio or the dash board. The top part connects to a wheel like system which as you turn the direction of where you want the air con to blow, it turns this thing that controls the air flow direction. The position of the part that connects to the opposite end of the control panel is located at the right side of the radio/below right side vent of the middle vent. It won't be hard to find, just start removing trim. All I can help you with is where it's located, I'm not too sure what side you'd need to get to it but the cable is like only 20-30cm long so it isn't too far from the air con control panel!

ChunkNorris
07-05-2018, 09:54 PM
I had the same problem with my 07 Passat today. The holder for the cable is right behind the top right back corner of the radio console. The easiest way to reinsert it is to remove the radio, loosen out the heater control panel. This gives you a bit of extra play with the cable itself. Put your hand in and direct the cable to the top corner. There is only one way it can go back in, but once you have it in line with the holder itself, it's just a case od adjusting the cable, via the dial, until it clicks into place. Takes about 5 mins. Hope this helps.

sanjeewa.singha
11-04-2021, 09:10 AM
I managed to do the same and struggling to put the cable back in place. I can't find the photos. I'd be much obliged, if you could send those photos again. Kind regards.

Paul757
11-04-2021, 11:33 AM
A don't recall putting photos on here as my post was way back in 2017 !
A think possible someone else had put photos on here so keep scrolling back previous posts on here a hopfully you find some.

Flash2
13-04-2021, 07:38 PM
I can't find the photos.
The photos are HERE

(https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/11461-Heater-Control-Cable-(air-Distribution)?p=53296#post53296)

DMitch16
16-04-2021, 08:52 AM
The photos are HERE

(https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/11461-Heater-Control-Cable-(air-Distribution)?p=53296#post53296)

Doesn't seem to be an active link to them anymore on your old post unfortunately. At least not for me using a mobile phone.

Flash2
17-04-2021, 10:27 PM
I'm still able to view them on my computer.

Joey35
03-11-2022, 05:03 PM
Me and my younger brother have just done this job on a 2003 Polo Twist (9N). It's a simple enough job to connect the bowden tube/heater cable to the heater flap control matrix IF you know where to look!

You'll need to remove the stereo and any other bits necessary to access inside the central facia area. The cable reaches in and up slightly from the lower right hand corner of the area accessible behind the radio/storage compartment. You can most easily see it from the RH side drivers footwell too on my brothers model, which may be different to the newer models, but most likely accessible by taking off some trim. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE WHOLE DASHBOARD ASSEMBLRY TO RECCONECT THE BOWDEN TUBE/HEATER CABLE!

Me and my bother did this job with the central facia panel removed, which was straight forward enough to do and gave us a bit more work room. But you could probs do it with just the radio and central storage bits removed. Again, this is on 2003 polo, which has 9N interior.

The cable was most easily connected from the RH side footwell as you can get you hands on the cable and just about see what you're doing if you slide yourself well in the footwell!

I'm not too sure how to attach pictures on here though... I've uploaded pictures to another forum here which you can view hopefully: cable from heater control dials | UK Volkswagen Forum (https://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/threads/cable-from-heater-control-dials.13988/)

VW1999
13-04-2023, 09:26 AM
Thanks for this....... I have located it just cant attach:zx11:
Patience is the key!!!!!

slee2308
29-09-2023, 03:11 PM
Well I managed to snap a couple of photos of the heater cable to see if it will help you refit it. I did a bit of mucking about to see what was the best way to refit it. I found that the best way to get at the cable is to remove...wait for it...the airbag, steering wheel and lower steering cowling. I know that sounds like a lot of bother, but it only takes a few mins to strip it all off if you have the tools handy, (a T20 torx driver for the cowling and a 10mm spline socket for the steering wheel) and it'll be quicker in the..eh..long run...if you see what I mean.

The airbag is removed by adjusting the steering column down as low as it will go and pulling it out towards you. Turn the steering wheel to the 3 o'clock position and insert the blade of a plain screw driver in the hole on the back of the steering wheel and rotate the driver towards the off side. Rotate the wheel through 180 degrees and repeat the last step. Disconnect the yellow airbag connector by pulling the release lever at the top towards you with your finger. Keep the ignition off while the airbag is removed or you'll bring the warning light on.
Make sure the wheels are straight before removing the steering wheel. There is an index mark on the wheel and another on the steering shaft that help ensure the wheel is refitted straight. Don't rotate the airbag slip ring while the steering wheel is removed.

Below are a couple of photos taken through the space where the steering cowling is fitted.

I hope that helps, Keith.

Jim.

Hi, ive got to the point of where it goes but as to the pictures mine doesnt point down does this mean there is a missing part? Im confused