PDA

View Full Version : vw golf mk5 6cd

eghuws
30-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Hello everyone,
I have just bought a mk5 gamma 6 cd in dash changer which looks very identical to the mk4 version(same dimensions). I have a single slot gamma cd in there at the moment with a gamma tape control underneath it which has a "cc" button thereon.
I have been told that the mk5 version will not work on my mk4 golf?????? If it does not work then i'll have to sell it back again, if it can be connected can someone kindly tell me how and how much will it cost me?
Many thanks all,

eghuws

Ben
30-06-2007, 10:19 PM
so you have a mk4 golf and you want to install a 6cd changer that would normally go in a mk5 golf armrest in to the din dash slot beneath the existing radio?

eghuws
30-06-2007, 10:25 PM
I have a single slot one above my gamma tape

and now I have bought a 6 cd changer as pictured

Sorry matey I am hopeless with stuff like this

will this just plug in straight away or will I need new connectors??

Thanks

Ben
30-06-2007, 10:30 PM
so the one on the left is the standard mk4 cd unit and i can tell you that the one on the right is deffo a 6 disc out of a mk5

do you have images of the rear of the units?
Are the connections the same?

this is where the mk5 one goes. and as you can see, there is no space in the dash for it
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/26112006047.jpg

eghuws
30-06-2007, 10:37 PM
These are the only pictures i have as i'm waiting for the unit to be delivered. Any clearer?

Ben
30-06-2007, 10:47 PM
not really, you may have to wait till it arrives and compare the two.

my gut feeling is that it won't work.

the mk5 head unit is where you select the disc you want to listen to.
whereas the mk4 head unit may only be able to select the cd as an input and not have the finction to select from a chouce of cd's.

don't worry though. mk5 6 disc cd's always sell on ebay as they are damn expensive from the dealers, so i wouldn't feel to let down.

My gut feeling may also be wrong.

colb666
01-07-2007, 04:29 AM
I think from memory you'll find the armrest mounted changer from the mk5 and the dash mount changer from the mk4 are the same type of unit and they work in each model

Ben
01-07-2007, 09:40 AM
i didn't know that col.
I wouldn't of thought theat the older radio would of been capeable of selecting from a multiple cd.

I'll stand corrected tho. thats what we're here for;)

Just looked at the first image again - maybe you select the disc via the 1 - 6 buttons.

v6dub
01-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey guys i'm not 100% sure of what is being said here, but the mk4 gamma radio can deal with cd changer, cause i have one fitted in my golf it is not an in dash one it sits in the boot, not sure if this is of any help, i'm also not sure about a mk5 working with a mk4, that is a suck it and see issue.

Flash2
01-07-2007, 10:45 PM
No, the MK5 CD will not work with a Gamma radio. Although the two units look the same, the MK5 golf unit has a different connector, a 13 pin male plug as shown in the small photo above. The unit that connects to the Gamma has a small blue female plug and the lead coming out of the unit is longer so it will reach the back of the radio. There is also an additional connector on the Gamma unit that connects to the side light circuit to light up the CD.

Regards -Jim.

eghuws
03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Wouldn't the likes of motorworld, halfords and other non named audio fitters be able to adapt the connectors to suit both the mk4 gamma and the mk5 cd unit?
thanks all for quick reply

colb666
03-07-2007, 11:31 PM
I know you can have both the single play dash mount and a multi changer connected to the Gamma at the same time as the single play has an input socket as well...... I bought the leads direct from Bosch to do this and the changer was boot mounted in a Bora.

eghuws
04-07-2007, 01:19 AM
I have been thinking..............................
My dad has a VW Passat 1.9TDI 140 highline on a 55Plate, He has a gamma tape player as a head unit and underneath that he has a 6cd changer like the one I have just purchased. If he wants to listen to a cd he clicks the "cd" button on his head unit. he can then choose from the cd unit which cd he would like to listen to(mostly classical). Why can't I do that with mine then???

I have checked the two cd units that I have and can say that both are different in connections, but surely with a bit of electrical expertise I could connect the two????

Any further thoughts ladies and gentlemen??

E

Flash2
04-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I have been thinking..............................
Careful now.

I have checked the two cd units that I have and can say that both are different in connections, but surely with a bit of electrical expertise I could connect the two????

E

I could probably knock you up a lead that will do the job. I'll find out how much the connectors cost and I'll get back to you.

Jim.

Flash2
06-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey E.

I'll make you a lead that will connect the MK5 CD to the Gamma radio. No need to modify the unit, just plug in to each unit.

If your interested send me a PM with your e'mail address.

Jim.

caddy
10-10-2007, 10:05 PM
So what is the outcome can the mk5 cd changer part no 1k0 035 110work with the mk4 gamma radio? If yes where do you get leads from to connect the two
cheers