PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Kit and Nokia 6300?

martd
30-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Ok, so my dad has bought himself a 2006 Passat which has Bluetooth prep. The previous owner (dealership manager) had a Nokia 6230i which worked fine.

My dad has a Samsung D600 which he loves but isn't compatible.

I'm getting him a new phone so he can use the BT prep.

My questions are:

1 - Is the Nokia 6300 fully compatible with the BT kit in the Passat?

2 - Is this the best phone for the old man? He needs big keys for his attempts to text and a big screen for his attempts to see ;) !!!

Thanks in advance

Martin

lostmarbles
30-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Hi. The best thing to do would be get in touch with your local dealer as they may well have a list of the latest compatible phones. I work for a Bentley dealership, which is VAG owned, and we regularly get updated lists of phones that will work. Hope this helps.

onzarob
30-06-2007, 11:03 PM
I have a 6300 and it a great phone and the keys are a decent size. It works well with my bluetooth kit, but it a nokia kit CK 7W.

martd
02-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks,

Do you know if its compatible with the Passat OEM kit?

Its a bit of a pain in the **** all this!!

Spoke to some numpty at VW who checked his list and said its not listed so its not compatible.

Personally i think he didnt have a damn clue!!!

Catster
18-07-2007, 08:23 PM
The list I have from the dealer when I collected my car on 1st March 07 does not have 6300 on it.
The list is mainly Nokia phones, as apparently the integrated system is made by, guess who... yep, Nokia plus some mainly out of date Siemens models:
Nokia: 6021, 6230, 6230i, 6233, 6810, 6820, 6822, 8800, 9300, 9500
Siemens: S65, SK65, SP65, S68, S72, S75.
It may be worth visiting a dealer to see if there is a newer list.
Hope that helps!

Ben
18-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Is it a bluetooth connection? if so the basic features should work.

Take freeview tv as an analagy.

your local retailer will have a book of all post codes where freeview can and cant be recieved.

Ignore it.

I used to live in a B93 post code which could not recieve it according to the book.

I had years of 100% clarity.

Catster
18-07-2007, 09:18 PM
[quote=GOLFMK5GTTDI;57785]Is it a bluetooth connection? if so the basic features should work.....quote]

The VW oem setup isn't as simple as that. I had a nearly new Sony Ericsson W810i and the integrated kit didn't recognise it.

Bluetooth can have many 'profiles' and to be compatible in the VW, it has to have RSAP (Remote Sim Access Profile) and guess what, Nokias are about the only phone that has it. As I said, the onboard kit is made by Nokia:mad:

martd
18-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks for all of your input guys.

Dads got the 6300 and it works great. Not tried SMS yet but the phone book works fine.

Cheers :)

Nikos_GR
08-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi from Greece. If you are talking about the BT carkit with the integrated keyboard (as the photo bellow) you need a phone with Sim Access Profile as Catster mentioned. You can find a list here (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_Access_Profile).
I got a Nokia E65 and works fine.

http://www.vwclub.gr/vwforum/index.php?&autocom=registry&cmd=view_attach&type=registry_gallery&id=585

jonesey
11-08-2007, 12:49 PM
The official VW list along with suitable cradles is here:
http://www.zubehoer-service.de/news/news.php?id=25&carid=9&lang=en&mcarid=

However don't build your hopes up on it listing a modern phone as it takes VW ages to even acknowledge that any other mobile with sim access profile will work with the premium kit. I've been using the Nokia N73 OK with it for 6 months and have proved the Nokia N80 and N95 will also work with it. Will VW pass this info on? No they won't!

passatMP
04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
hi Martin,

how did it go - did you find a solution.

i bought a new passat with BT prep and to my disapointment my phone does not work (N80 and Blackberry) :(

do you know any website with up to date list for compatible phones?

best regards,

Michael

jonesey
04-10-2007, 10:46 PM
hi Martin,

how did it go - did you find a solution.

i bought a new passat with BT prep and to my disapointment my phone does not work (N80 and Blackberry) :(

do you know any website with up to date list for compatible phones?

best regards,

Michael
Are you sure the Nokia N80 does not work? I have used one on my Passat with Bluetooth Prep. You need to enable Bluetooth and switch on Remote Sim Mode which you should see at the bottom of the Bluetooth menu on the N80. I am currently using the Nokia N73 in my Passat.

The official Volkswagen list of compatible phones is at http://www.zubehoer-service.de/news/news.php?id=25&carid=9&lang=en&mcarid= but as they do not have a cradle for any of the Nokia N series it is not listed. The BT prep is manufactured by Nokia and you can find a list of compatible Nokia mobile with SIM access profile at http://europe.nokia.com/A4403254

Not sure about the Blackberry though!

passatMP
07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi Martin,

You made my day as i know have a decent phone that works with the BT prep!!!!

i will carry on the surge to see if i can get my blackberry to work with it.

THANKS for all your help.

Michael

jonesey
07-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Hi Martin,

You made my day as i know have a decent phone that works with the BT prep!!!!

i will carry on the surge to see if i can get my blackberry to work with it.

THANKS for all your help.

Michael

Pleased Martin helped you out, but did you get your N80 working on the BT prep ok with the info I posted earlier?

Jonesey

passatMP
07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Sorry - got mixed up with the names!

I did get the N80 to work after your advise to switch the Remote SIM Mode on.

I am now looking to see if there is a similar solution for my Blackberry.

Thanks for your help

martd
10-10-2007, 03:52 PM
6300 works great but the Voice Dialing wont work as the 6300's voice commands work differently to most.

rtp
10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all of your input guys.

Dads got the 6300 and it works great. Not tried SMS yet but the phone book works fine.

Cheers :)

Great! that's the first time I hear someone has tried the 6300 with VW premium bluetooth. Does your dad have the premium kit by the way? I'm gonna receive my passat with premium bluetooth kit in october and thought of changing my phone to Nokia 6300. As said on this forum before this phone isn't in every list of SAP compatible ones but I got one from VW recently where it is.

Teflon
10-09-2008, 12:59 PM
The official VW list along with suitable cradles is here:
http://www.zubehoer-service.de/news/news.php?id=25&carid=9&lang=en&mcarid=

However don't build your hopes up on it listing a modern phone as it takes VW ages to even acknowledge that any other mobile with sim access profile will work with the premium kit. I've been using the Nokia N73 OK with it for 6 months and have proved the Nokia N80 and N95 will also work with it. Will VW pass this info on? No they won't!
NO! This list is wrong, wrong wrong!

I've been swapping phone calls and correspondence with VW UK and with the dealer for the last 3 months. The integrated premium bluetooth kits works with a handfull of (mainly old) Nokia phones and some old Siemens models which you can't get in this country. NOTHING ELSE THAT IS AVAILABLE TODAY. NOTHING. Not Motorola, Sony, LG, iPhone, Blackberry, Samsung. The Freeview TV analogy is wrong - the PBK is too smart to work like a simple bleutooth kit like a Nokia CK-7W or a Parrot. But the good news is that the 6300 is on the latest list from VW, dated 21/7/08 so at leqast martd's dad has a phone that works.

Never, ever spend £575 on a factory fit of this kit unless you are happy to use only a Nokia phone until the day you sell the car.

If you have an older "telephone prep" kit, you can get a cradle to match one of the the phones in jonesey's list, but expect to cough up £250-£350.

rtp
10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
yep I agree with Teflon. I've got a list from VW dated 16/7/08 so i guess pretty musch the same. Must notice though that the list is incomplete since the Nokia E and N-series are missing (only 3 Es in the list) and there are ALL SAP compatible since they integrate the S60 user interface. Please find the list attached (in German)

I hope this helped :approve:

ledburyloafer
10-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Great! that's the first time I hear someone has tried the 6300 with VW premium bluetooth. Does your dad have the premium kit by the way? I'm gonna receive my passat with premium bluetooth kit in october and thought of changing my phone to Nokia 6300. As said on this forum before this phone isn't in every list of SAP compatible ones but I got one from VW recently where it is.

the 6300 works fine with the factory fit premium system. wife also has one and it stores her phone book fine in the car, system is brilliant, just a shame its limited to Nokia. Blabckberry wont work though.

rtp
10-09-2008, 02:23 PM
the 6300 works fine with the factory fit premium system. wife also has one and it stores her phone book fine in the car, system is brilliant, just a shame its limited to Nokia. Blabckberry wont work though.

yeah it's a shame but as I'm married to a Finn and I live in Finland, my wife would never forgive me if I had something else than a Nokia. She'd probably file for divorce. Ok by me, I think Nokia phones are cool.
Is there such a setting in the 6300's bluetooth menu as "allow SIM (or remote) access" or something similar? On the model I checked at the Nokia store there wasn't as on the E and N-series. That's why I started to doubt whether 6300 worked with VW premium system. Now that I got 2 confirmations that it works it's cool. I like small, compact and light phones. Nokia 6300 fits that description and it's rather cheap.

rtp
10-09-2008, 05:06 PM

By the way ledburyloafer, do SMS work with your wife 6300? Do you read tham directly on radio display? I read that were some problems with messages on some phones.

ledburyloafer
10-09-2008, 08:20 PM
By the way ledburyloafer, do SMS work with your wife 6300? Do you read tham directly on radio display? I read that were some problems with messages on some phones.

SMS works fine, with both phones when in situ, i get the readout on the highline display on the dash. Not something that is really a good idea to read/do when driving! only pain is if I want to save message I have to copy it back to the phone or else it stays stored in the car.

rtp
12-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Never, ever spend £575 on a factory fit of this kit unless you are happy to use only a Nokia phone until the day you sell the car.

Actually an alternative can be found here (http://www.govolkl.com). It only requires a bluetooth compatible phone, i.e. pretty much every single phone available these days, no more SAP involved. ;)

Teflon
14-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Looks like at least there is a dealer supplied solution in the USA. Hopefully it will make it over the pond. Shame it's too late for us poor schmuks with the OEM kit.

crox
15-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I can confirm that the Nokia 6300 works well as does the N95.

I have had iffy results with the 6230i, and the 6310i was having none of it, though need to try harder tonight.

I also bought the cradle for the 6230i but can't work out how it fits in, or if the mount plate comes out.

The picture on the link above matches up with what I have, so I might have to wander across to my local dealer and have a chat.

I also have a Blackberry Bold as my own phone, it has rSAP but I have had no luck connecting it up to the car, though other people have. Again, will try tonight.

Teflon
16-09-2008, 08:06 AM
I have had iffy results with the 6230i, and the 6310i was having none of it, though need to try harder tonight.

I also bought the cradle for the 6230i but can't work out how it fits in, or if the mount plate comes out.
The 6230i will work (it's the phone I am having to use), but only if it has the "original" version of software. The first one I tried had enjoyed a trip to carphone warehouse for a software upgrade when I first got it. It had been suffering from the infamous "Nokia car kit bug" which made it freeze up when used with a Nokia cradle and Nokia car kit (on previous car). There was no way I could get it to work consistently with the VW kit so I slung it.

I managed to get two unadulterated 6230i phones to work without a problem. Maybe yours been mucked about with or has the later software.

crox
16-09-2008, 10:03 AM
hhmm, no idea to be honest. It came from the network provider (Vodafone) and all has been done is to have it unlocked.

It should still be original. I will try later though ...

robborover
22-09-2008, 12:25 PM
I also have a Blackberry Bold as my own phone, it has rSAP but I have had no luck connecting it up to the car, though other people have. Again, will try tonight.

Any luck? I have a new bold... and a new audi on it's way :confused:

jonesey
22-09-2008, 02:06 PM
NO! This list is wrong, wrong wrong!

I've been swapping phone calls and correspondence with VW UK and with the dealer for the last 3 months. The integrated premium bluetooth kits works with a handful of (mainly old) Nokia phones and some old Siemens models which you can't get in this country. NOTHING ELSE THAT IS AVAILABLE TODAY. NOTHING. Not Motorola, Sony, LG, iPhone, Blackberry, Samsung. The Freeview TV analogy is wrong - the PBK is too smart to work like a simple bleutooth kit like a Nokia CK-7W or a Parrot. But the good news is that the 6300 is on the latest list from VW, dated 21/7/08 so at leqast martd's dad has a phone that works.

If you have an older "telephone prep" kit, you can get a cradle to match one of the the phones in jonesey's list, but expect to cough up £250-£350.

YES! This list is right, right right!
...if you want an official VW cradle for your premium or standard preparation. It is produced by Votex GmbH who are an official VW supplier and manufacture the cradles. It only lists mobiles they manufacture a cradle for and not all mobiles that will work with the two types of factory fitted preparation.
I fail to see why you think this is list is wrong, it is more useful than anything VW (UK) can produce who do not have a clue! The list of Nokia phones that work with the VW premium bluetooth preparation is well over 30 (a large handful), including current handsets but even Nokia have difficulty keeping their list of compatible phones up to date. There are many other non-Nokia mobiles, including current models from other manufacturers that work with the premium prep the key feature to look for is Bluetooth Sim Acces Profile. even some cheap pay as you go mobiles from O2 (Jet) will work.
As for the cradles which are available for the premium and standard bluetooth prep, last time I checked they were around £120 from a VW dealer or cheaper from eBay, especially Germany were they are listed as a VW Handy Adapter. There is also an official VW bluetooth pairing adapter 3C0051435PA which will plug into the central armrest for non-SAP mobiles including the Apple iPhone, see this on eBay while it is still listed http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neu-VW-Handy-Pairing-Adapter-3C0051435PA-Bluetooth_W0QQitemZ140269228378QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item140269228378&_trkparms=39%3A2%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.

I have also tested a non SAP mobile, the Sony Ericsson K750i in the official adapter 3C0051435M in the central armrest and it worked perfectley, even the emergency/service call buttons were re-programmed on the premium prep to non-0800 numbers while the adapter was plugged in.
My wife and I are currently using Nokia N95's (including the latest 8GB version) in my Passat. The premium bluetooth prep works perfectley, recognising which mobile is in the vehicle and storing both of our very different contact lists (mine has over 600 for work related contacts). I maintain the VW premium prep is a good factory fitted option, it's only problem is total lack of any meaningful support by Volkswagen UK.

rtp
22-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Well I don't know if the list is right or wrong but at least there are some unconsistencies. For instance in the Nokia's list the 6300 you linked jonsey it is said to support only handfree profile but it (obviously) does support SAP profile. On the phone's user guide it reads that SAP is supported. That tells me that things are pretty unclear on Nokia's side too. It's a shame since the premium prep is made by Nokia. I guess the only way to know whether a specific phone works the premium prep is to try it out in the car.

Teflon
22-09-2008, 03:35 PM
YES! This list is right, right right!
Methinks there's some confusion here. The question was about bluetooth kit, not cradles. Ergo, the list of cradles is both confusing and wrong. Yes, of course the premium kt works with some N95's on bluetooth, providing they have the latest software. It also works with the 6300, which was the original question.

Maybe you can fit one of the old style cradles, although the phones on jonesey's list are all pretty much no longer available new from UK network providers. Curiously, after 3 months of beating VW UK to death they didn't have the temerity to suggest that I bought a cradle for an old phone and nor did the dealer. The standard (cradle based) phone preparation is no longer available on 2009 model year Passats. Even if a cradle is a half-rrrssed solution for some phones, it's hardly bluetooth is it? It doesn't exactly fit with the idea of using the phone while it's still in my handbag. And you will find that by the time you have bought the cradle, plus the cradle holder, loom, etc. and coughed up for a couple of hours of workshop time for the dealer to figure it all out, the idea of getting it done for £120 is a pipedream. It's nearer to £250, on top of the £575 for the premium bluetooth kit itself.

Yeah, it's magnificent with just a small range of phones, but this isn't good enough. Kelly Brook is a magnificent looker, but can she cook or iron a shirt, or belch out a decent tune after a skinful? All pretty is one thing, but all round performance is what matters.

If anyone wants the latest VW list of bluetooth compatible phones, PM me. It's not a good read.

jonesey
22-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Methinks there's some confusion here. The question was about bluetooth kit, not cradles. Ergo, the list of cradles is both confusing and wrong. Yes, of course the premium kt works with some N95's on bluetooth, providing they have the latest software. It also works with the 6300, which was the original question.

Maybe you can fit one of the old style cradles, although the phones on jonesey's list are all pretty much no longer available new from UK network providers. Curiously, after 3 months of beating VW UK to death they didn't have the temerity to suggest that I bought a cradle for an old phone and nor did the dealer. The standard (cradle based) phone preparation is no longer available on 2009 model year Passats. Even if a cradle is a half-rrrssed solution for some phones, it's hardly bluetooth is it? It doesn't exactly fit with the idea of using the phone while it's still in my handbag. And you will find that by the time you have bought the cradle, plus the cradle holder, loom, etc. and coughed up for a couple of hours of workshop time for the dealer to figure it all out, the idea of getting it done for £120 is a pipedream. It's nearer to £250, on top of the £575 for the premium bluetooth kit itself.

Yeah, it's magnificent with just a small range of phones, but this isn't good enough. Kelly Brook is a magnificent looker, but can she cook or iron a shirt, or belch out a decent tune after a skinful? All pretty is one thing, but all round performance is what matters.

If anyone wants the latest VW list of bluetooth compatible phones, PM me. It's not a good read.

The list of cradles may be confusing, but they are not wrong as they are from the manufacturers web site. The cradles can only be fitted either on the dashboard socket for the factory fitted mobile preparation, or in the centre armrest console if you have the premium bluetooth preparation, the cradles cannot be retro fitted to a VW without the factory fitted preparation.
I paid £575 for the premium bluetooth preparation and the centre console has a dual flip up lid to take a cradle as in the list. The space for the cradle, on the premium kit is to allow charging of the handset even if bluetooth is being used. Unfortunately there is no cradle for my Nokia N95! A colleague bought a new Passat at the same time as mine and ordered the cheaper standard mobile prep and was a bit miffed to pay the extra £120 for the cradle, but the cradle for his mobile also contained a bluetooth module for standard handsfree. As in my previous reply you can now buy a VW approved bluetooth pairing module to plug on to the cradle socket if you have the basic mobile preparation which will give you the basic bluetooth functionality to work with all bluetooth enabled phones for basic handsfree.
Of course VW (UK) haven't got a clue this is available, next time you speak to them quote part number 3C0051435PA, it will be interesting to know their reaction! On eBay you can buy this for €99 from Germany plus postage and no extra cost or professional fitting is required if you have the basic or premium preparation. If you can read German (or use an online translator) put 3C0051435PA in a search engine for more info.

All Nokia N95s (in fact all "N" series after the N70) work with the premium kit and do not need the latest software, if it doesn't then you need to enable remote sim mode in the bluetooth menu on the phone, it's always been there but maybe some users have not noticed it.

If you think VW support is bad for this factory fitted option, you should see some of the Mercedes forums for their bluetooth preparation which also works on sim access profile. What everyone needs is a central updated list of mobiles with bluetooth remote sim profile. If it's of any help, below is a list of mobiles I have personally tested on my 2007 Passat with Premium Bluetooth Preperation:

Bluetooth Sim Access Profile

Nokia 6230 - OK including phonebook
Nokia N73 - OK including phonebook
Nokia N80 - OK including phonebook
Nokia N95 - OK including phonebook
Nokia N95 8GB - OK including phonebook
O2 Jet - OK unable to upload phonebook, but workaround swapping sim to Nokia 6230 to upload contacts.
O2 XDA Orbit - OK did not try uploading phonebook

With 3C0051435M Cradle in centre armrest console (includes built in Bluetooth adaptor)

Sony Ericcson K750i - Works OK in Cradle and out of cradle using bluetooth HFP which is not supported by premium prep alone.

jonesey
22-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Having trawled the Internet to find some definitive list of mobile phones with Sim Access Profile I have found a very good reference/guide on the German version of Wikipedia at http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_Access_Profile

You can get a very acceptable translation through Google translations, and below I have copied the list of mobiles with Sim Access profile from the site which should work with the Bluetooth Premium prep as used in VW/Audi/Bentley vehicles and maybe even a Bugatti Veyron!
Nokia still dominate the list, but you may be pleased to see Samsung, O2, HTC, Blackberry and Palm among the list.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mobile phones, the SIM Access profiles include:
• Nokia 2600 Classic, 2630, 2660, 2760, 3109 Classic, 3110 Classic, 3250, 3250 XpressMusic, 3500 classic, 5200, 5300, 5310 XpressMusic, 5500, 5610 XpressMusic, 5700 XpressMusic, 6021, 6085, 6086, 6103 , 6110 Navigator, 6111, 6112, 6120 Classic, 6121 classic, 6125, 6131, 6151, 6210 Navigator, 6220 classic, 6230, 6230i, 6233, 6234, 6267, 6270, 6280, 6288, 6290, 6300, 6301, 6500 Classic , 6500 Slide, 6555, 6810, 6820, 6822, 7280, 7330, 7370, 7373, 7390, 7500 Prism, 7900 Prism, 8600 Luna, 8800, 8800 Arte, 8800 Sapphire Arte, 8800 Sirocco, Communicator 9300, Communicator 9300i, communicator 9500 (from software 5.22), E50, E51, E60, E61, E61, E65, E70, E71, E90, N71, N72, N73, N76, N77, N78, N80, N800, N81, N82, N810, N91, N92 , N93, N93i, N95, N96 (list upon request by the manufacturer 18.Mar.2008),
• BenQ-Siemens C81, CX75, E71, EL71, M75, M81, S65, S68, S75, SK65, SL75, SP65
• T-Mobile Ameo, MDA Mail, MDA Pro, MDA, touch, touch, plus MDA, MDA Compact II, MDA Vario III, MDA Vario II and I (only with the latest equipment update - in addition to Bluetooth the program "SAP Settings" start and SIM Access on)
• O2 XDA Trion, O2 XDA Nova
• O2 XDA Orbit (after the activation of the SAP Profiles - will not operate in the Passat B6)
• HTC all models, except for S310.
• Vodafone VPA compact III (Program "SAP settings" to activate the remote SIM access)
• Samsung - SGH-i450V, SGH-i455, SGH-i455L, SGH-i458, SGH-F480, SGH-i550V, SGH-i560V, SGH-U700, SGH-F700 (or Qbowl), SGH-L770, SHG G600, SGH-G800, SGH-I900, SGH-U900
• Mio A701
• Bold BlackBerry 9000
• Pro Palm Treo Smartphone

crox
24-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I think I might have the right cradle for the arm rest but can't work out how to connect it in.

Mine looks like this picture http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/f2/da/552f_1.JPG

but I can't work out how to remove it?

jonesey
24-09-2008, 10:33 AM
I think I might have the right cradle for the arm rest but can't work out how to connect it in.

Mine looks like this picture http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/f2/da/552f_1.JPG

but I can't work out how to remove it?

The picture above is of the cradle holder/mounting plate which cannot be removed. You need to push the top of the cradle holder up/forward with the underside of the cradle. Then slide back for the cradle connections to mate with the holder which are behind a spring back flap. The 2 cradle buttons (spanner and ! icons) should be at the bottom of the picture above. I must admit I thought it was some sort of blanking plate/holder myself when I first saw it and it only became clear after I borrowed a cradle for a colleague with the basic VW mobile prep with the holder on the dashboard that it all became clear.

Teflon
24-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Having trawled the Internet to find some definitive list of mobile phones with Sim Access Profile I have found a very good reference/guide on the German version of Wikipedia at http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_Access_Profile

Sorry to pee on you bonfire, but the wikepedia.de list is wrong for everything non-Nokia that is currently available in the UK. I checked with Sony and Samsung 2 months ago, before falling out with VW. I also tried half a dozen of the models listed, without success. I do speak some German, (and some Swedish) so I'd also perused the VW.de site and gone to the horsees mouth at Sony-Ericsson before getting all hot under the collar.

Jonesey, let's kiss and make up and agree to disagree. For my money, the Premium Bluetooth Kit is a poorly set-up, expensive waste of money and I don't want a cradle. I want to use my Samsung. Here endeth the rant.

jonesey
24-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Sorry to pee on you bonfire, but the wikepedia.de list is wrong for everything non-Nokia that is currently available in the UK. I checked with Sony and Samsung 2 months ago, before falling out with VW. I also tried half a dozen of the models listed, without success. I do speak some German, (and some Swedish) so I'd also perused the VW.de site and gone to the horsees mouth at Sony-Ericsson before getting all hot under the collar.

Jonesey, let's kiss and make up and agree to disagree. For my money, the Premium Bluetooth Kit is a poorly set-up, expensive waste of money and I don't want a cradle. I want to use my Samsung. Here endeth the rant.

Without getting access to some of these mobiles to try for myself, I can't dismiss the list as wrong especially for the O2, HTC, Blackberry & Palm devices shown.
The problem seems to be that the SIM Access Profile is often a hidden unlisted feature in some mobiles, the O2 XDA and O2 Jet which was not on the wikipedia list works on VW Premium Bluetooth prep. The spec for both mobiles made no mention of SIM Access Profile in the manuals, but I saw it in the Bluetooth menu and tried them and they worked. All mobiles I have tried in my Passat have either been owned by me (all Nokias except the N80), or borrowed from colleagues in the office. Unfortunately I have not seen any Samsung's to try, but I will keep a look out. In the absence of the vehicle manufacturers (VW, Audi, Mercedes etc), not maintaining an up to date list of compatible mobiles, it seem it is left for the customers to find out for themselves which is not very satisfactory.

I am seriously considering purchasing the VW Bluetooth pairing adapter (picture below) to plug in to the centre armrest cradle holder. This is desgned for the non-premium prep to provide basic bluetooth handsfree profile, but it also offers Bluetooth A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) for MP3 players to stream stereo audio through the car audio system and is compatible with the N95 media player. For €100 on Ebay Germany (about £80) it's worth me trying it out, if it doesn't work on the premium prep I'm sure I'll be able to sell it on Ebay to a VW owner with the basic prep. If I go ahead, I'll publish the results on this forum.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/04/c5/a195_1.JPG

robborover
25-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Soon find out tomorrow - get the car and will be trying my Bold in it. Will report back specifically on that.

crox
25-09-2008, 10:56 PM
keep us posted! I tried tonight and the car doesn't even see the Bold .., :aargh4:

jonesey
26-09-2008, 12:24 AM
From the Blackberry web site http://www.blackberry.com/news/press/2008/pr-12_05_2008-01.shtml

FIRST CLASS PHONE
The BlackBerry Bold smartphone features a new acoustic design that increases the size of the phone’s audio sweet spot, improving listening quality and clarity. It also comes with numerous premium phone features including Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), Bluetooth® 2.0, with support for hands-free headsets, stereo headsets, car kits (including car kits that adhere to the Bluetooth Remote SIM Access Profile) and other Bluetooth peripherals. It is a quad-band EDGE and tri-band HSDPA handset that supports global roaming**** and features dedicated 'send', 'end', and 'mute' keys, smart dialing, speed dialing, conference calling and call forwarding. It also features noise cancellation technology that offsets background noise, a powerful speaker phone and support for polyphonic, mp3 and MIDI ring tones.

robborover
26-09-2008, 08:02 PM
First signs not good :zx11:

Bold can see car and asks for PIN - Car will only generate the PIN if you enter a number on the Bold, which then does not accept as it's not the rand0m 16 digit Audi code. The PIN will then sit there for 30 secs - try and then find car again from Bold but it cant as car is in pairing mode - catch 22.

Headset only (fixed PIN) won't connect to Bold.

Gave in after about 30 permutations.

robborover
26-09-2008, 08:09 PM
keep us posted! I tried tonight and the car doesn't even see the Bold .., :aargh4:

Crox - did you try that "listen" solution on the BB forum (unless there is another Crox I assume that was you on there)? That guy seemed to have it working with the VW kit.

crox
27-09-2008, 08:54 AM
yeah, tried the listening thing.

I have picked up a 335d for a fortnight, the Bold connected first time ... typical.

robborover
27-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Yup. Bold works fine in bmw, parrot and tom tom. Not holding out much hope.

robborover
27-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Some (limited) progress. Using the Bold to search for devices I have been able to pair with the Audi as a headset. Can't push contacts but can Import via "name" function but that it is limited to 150 entries.

Disappointing but safe.

crox
27-09-2008, 06:24 PM
is the VW unit visible when it is searching for a device. That said, I think that I will have to give it a try when I have the car back.

robborover
28-09-2008, 06:34 PM
is the VW unit visible when it is searching for a device. That said, I think that I will have to give it a try when I have the car back.

Yes (this is an Audi btw) - weird implementation though, entries showing on phone book in car but display as "unknown" when dialling out but show name when someone calls me.

Basic headset implementation must be as good as it gets.

crox
07-10-2008, 11:30 PM
got the passat back tonight, what a difference to the 335d!

anyway ...

tried connecting again, no joy. I always set the Bold to listen, thought that was the only way to get it to pair? Haven't tried any other way.

I got a 6310i cradle of german ebay, but it says on it bluetooth only, and given that the car doesn't recognise that it is plugged in, I assume that it won't work as the 6310i doesn't have rSAP. I will have to flog it I suppose and try and get a 6230i version which works via connection not bluetooth.

All together not happy, just thankful that I haven't done any mileage in it, I normally would have done 10K since this thread first started ...

ledburyloafer
08-10-2008, 09:09 AM
I've got a cradle for the premium factory fit phone kit, genuine VW will do Nokia 3100, 3200, 6100, 6220, 6230, 6230i, 6820, 6822, 7210 phones, any good to you?

robborover
08-10-2008, 09:24 AM
got the passat back tonight, what a difference to the 335d!

anyway ...

tried connecting again, no joy. I always set the Bold to listen, thought that was the only way to get it to pair? Haven't tried any other way.

I got a 6310i cradle of german ebay, but it says on it bluetooth only, and given that the car doesn't recognise that it is plugged in, I assume that it won't work as the 6310i doesn't have rSAP. I will have to flog it I suppose and try and get a 6230i version which works via connection not bluetooth.

All together not happy, just thankful that I haven't done any mileage in it, I normally would have done 10K since this thread first started ...

No - I used "Add" from the Bold rather than listen - that way it added the basic Audi BT connection and I got hands free / phone book etc. Is a simple 4 digit PIN broadcast from the car, set to trusted and been working ok.

rtp
08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
on my side i finally bought the Nokia 6300. I works brilliantly with the Passat bluetooth kit. I love it. Great quality, really simple to use and good features. It is so convenient to have the phone book available at all time.

Hillsy
09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi - I have the same phone kit and it has been working fine but just reently I haven't been able to use it. When i go to use it theer are no bars on the signal strength . A message then comes up, "Initialising Phone, Please wait" This stays on for a while but does nothing.

Any ideas what's wrong or does it need to go in ?

Gary

rtp
10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi - I have the same phone kit and it has been working fine but just reently I haven't been able to use it. When i go to use it theer are no bars on the signal strength . A message then comes up, "Initialising Phone, Please wait" This stays on for a while but does nothing.

Any ideas what's wrong or does it need to go in ?

Gary
Have you changed the PIN on your phone or any bluetooth settings? Does the car still recognise the phone?

Any way you should try to do the installation again from scratch after you deleted the pair both in the car and in your phone settings.

Let us know if this worked.

Hillsy
10-02-2009, 05:44 PM
No change of PIN. it's an old 6021 that was working fine with it (having previously had problems with other ophoned that do not pair)

I will delete the pairing on my phone and see what happens but the phone system on the car won't even let me get to the menu options to dlete from the car pairing

rtp
10-02-2009, 09:28 PM
the phone system on the car won't even let me get to the menu options to dlete from the car pairing
If so I'd say the problem is in the car kit. Just a guess.

If the deleting trick doesn't work you can try to ask your car dealer but I doubt he would even know what you're talking about.

ledburyloafer
10-02-2009, 09:53 PM
If so I'd say the problem is in the car kit. Just a guess.

If the deleting trick doesn't work you can try to ask your car dealer but I doubt he would even know what you're talking about.

would suggest getting someone with a known device that is compatible, at least that way you will no for sure. When i first started it wouldn't "see" the bb, and getting it to delete was impossible because it couldn't "" anything to delete in teh first pplace, think you need to be connecte dto delete, if that makes sense! Could be something in your current phone has gone off kilter?

yarre
04-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I got mine from Fiscon www.need4street.de works with all phones ( even with my iphone ) easy to install, the main unit is like pack of ciggaretes and it stays in the dash.

mark381
13-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi, I'm currently looking at getting a new Passat CC and am considering the phone prep (keyboard popping out of dash one), my phone is provided by my employer, but I am considering purchasing a more functional handset, from this post is it safe to conclude that the 6300 works with this kit with full functionality?

ledburyloafer
13-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi, I'm currently looking at getting a new Passat CC and am considering the phone prep (keyboard popping out of dash one), my phone is provided by my employer, but I am considering purchasing a more functional handset, from this post is it safe to conclude that the 6300 works with this kit with full functionality?

Yep!:biglaugh: