PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Mark Removal !!!

belfastmark
08-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi All
I own a 2001 MK4 VW Golf in Jazz Blue. The bonnet has some unsightly swirl marks and I am wanting to have them corrected.
A local valeter siad he would do a polish/buff with poorboys blackhole and charge £60. Just back from my local bodyshop/repair centre to show him the marks, he turned and said "What am I supposed to be looking at ?" !
He said they could paint the bonnet for £200 or do a three stage 3M polish for £60 in half a day.
I am considering going to the body shop for two reasons. One being the price and two being that they are local.
What would you guy's recommend ? Has anyone had this swirl marks issue ? how did you correct it ?
Any feedback appreciated.

JASEA4
08-02-2011, 04:28 PM
swirls are usualy caused by main culprit bloody car washes and people dont realise, i always dio mine by hand and use a two bucket method, you dont need a re spray, i machine polish cars regular and a good strip back of wax machine polish with g3 will cut back the dead paint oxidisation and swirls , then build back up with wax , some may remain faint but majority will go £60 aint too bad for a body shop

i do them in my spare time and got some cracking results and charge 40/ 60 £ for a whole car......

;)

JimWD
25-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Is it just your bonnet you're after having sorted..? Chances are, in the right light, the whole car is covered.

Is it a new car to you? How do you go about performing your weekly/bi-weekly wash...?

You will not need a respray to remove the swirls.

To correct (properly) a mkiv golf to a flawless 95% defect free finish, you're looking at two days minimum and £300-350. I have a jazz blue mkiv infact to play with early March in readiness for 'Ultimate Dub' in Telford...

If done correctly, with machine polishing, you could be looking at results like this:

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss102/WhiteDetails/Volkswagen%20Touareg%20V6%20TDi/DSC_1695.jpg

belfastmark
25-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Is it just your bonnet you're after having sorted..? Chances are, in the right light, the whole car is covered.

Is it a new car to you? How do you go about performing your weekly/bi-weekly wash...?

You will not need a respray to remove the swirls.

To correct (properly) a mkiv golf to a flawless 95% defect free finish, you're looking at two days minimum and £300-350. I have a jazz blue mkiv infact to play with early March in readiness for 'Ultimate Dub' in Telford...

If done correctly, with machine polishing, you could be looking at results like this:

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss102/WhiteDetails/Volkswagen%20Touareg%20V6%20TDi/DSC_1695.jpg
The car is a MK4 Jazz Blue. The bonnet has the majority of the swirl marks, in the right light. There are others on the rest of the car, not as severe as the bonnet.
Weekly wash is usually done at the local valeting shop, though with the better weather starting to come, I shall be washing her in the driveway with Autoglym bodywork shampoo and drying with a microfibre drying towel,
Is the car new to me ? Well, I like to keep her as near to perfect as I can.
There are plenty of valeting shops in belfast, though none that I would leave the car with to be honest. Not sure what to do at the minute.

belfastmark
26-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Yep. I have seen the sign for Ben ( BK Detailing ).
Might call up and see him, iit's only a couple of mlies up the road.
Thanks.

drpellypo
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Blackhole won't remove, it will just cover. You could do this yourself! £60 to do paint correction is a joke. There's no way you could do it that cheap and well. If you're looking for a detailer make sure you've seen their work and had testimonials. Also make sure they have full insurance, not just public liability!

blackgrill
03-03-2011, 05:59 AM
Hahahaha, :beerchug:

The wife has a got an e91 in that sexy blue metallic like the one in the vid, Id love to get her car spotless (up to full gloss and clarity), but can still see the hologramming effect all over the car (300 watt security light above dont help), its not as bad as most ive seen ( i could live with it..not!)

Ive washed rinsed and washed with autoglym body wash (will never ever use that turtle wax again - seems to stains rubber and chrome regardless of dilution)
then tried a combination of polishes to reduce but not remove the swirls visible at night under the security light.

Meguiars ( I think im addicted to the smell tbh)

Claybar all over (BMW only)
Deep crystal Paint cleaning (Audi only as yet tried also Autoglym paint renovator seems a little more aggressive but a little harder to get off)
Deep Crystal Polish (BMW and Audi)
Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax BMW Audi)
Wonder wheels 3 part kit (bloody wicked) "Perfection" - My Best BUY

"Completely K-nackered after 6 hours" :aargh4:

Car (BMW) looks shiny and clean and holds it own in the bad weather pretty water resistant beading.

Any thoughts on Ixstar(sp) comes as a paste in a tub products supposedly better than Meguiars and less aggressive and cheaper than Farecla - gonna try this on the Audi see if get rid of some swirly-wirlies.
Its US import

cheers Jim WD

LJ

(now with "bmw logos right way up"!) :p