PDA

View Full Version : Tow bar fitted to garage wall for bike rack/cycle storage?

PHPsauce
08-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi,

I'm about to fit a tow bar to my Audi B8 saloon for a mainly cycle transport and occasion caravan.

I'll search the forums for advice on the tow bar type etc, but I have a question about the cycle rack.

I'm decided on one of the Thule types as I like the features. As I need to store the rack and the cycles when not in use I was thinking of installing a tow hitch on the garage wall and fitting the rack to that with the bikes when not in use,

Has anyone else done this? If so, any pictures or advice?
Is is a good idea? If not what is a better solution for storing the bikes and the rack?

What do you guys think?

zollaf
08-02-2011, 08:03 PM
i use some roof mounted winchy type things that lift the bikes up to the ceiling. very useful.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bike-Mate-Bicycle-bike-lift-/220731964245?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item3364a67b55#ht_500wt_949. i actually found mine in our local aldi or lidl for £5 each and got 4.
mounting a towbar to the wall would work, i ahve one of those as well, but to attatch a winch to to pull dead vehicles in with. just get some proper wall bolts, drill big holes and away you go. the lift things above are suitable if you have a high ceiling so they dont get in your way.

AudiIan
10-02-2011, 07:33 PM
You don't need to fix the carrier to a towball - just place it on the garage floor and stand the bikes on in the same way you would if you were in the car!