PDA

View Full Version : Passat 1.8 Oil pumps

muddy
10-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Having had three previous Passats (all 2.0 litre 2E engined cars) and found them ultra-reliable, even at 150,000 - 175,000 miles, I bought a '99 1.8T.
It was cheap because of a blown-up engine (large hole in side of block) at 120,000 miles.
It is metallic black, spotless, Climatronic, 16" O/E wheels.
Bought another AEB engine from a 75,000 mile Passat that had been shunted in the rear.
Fitted it one very cold day in March after adding :- a new clutch, waterpump, cambelt plus upgraded tensioner & pulley.
Also all new ancilliary belts. All this because I tend to keep cars for at least 5 years and I wanted a degree of reliability.
Runs superbly, flew through MOT.
BUT I'm now told oil pumps are suspect on these cars. Should I have fitted one whilst engine was on workshop floor ?
Is it all 1.8's (mine is an AEB turbo unit) ?
Are replacement pumps any more reliable or are they prone to failure ?
What fails? Gears shear ? Shafts snap ? Any warning noises ?

keland
10-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Just had mine done :-( but it's an APU (1.8T) engine (117K miles). Certainly a lot quieter. Eviently it gets gunked up and fails to supply enough oil to the 1st and 3rd cyls (I think) and the Turbo can get starved of oil. The Hydraulic tappets need pressure the turbo just needs some oil. I think they just cleaned it out.

Golfer7
29-12-2007, 11:13 PM
The main problem is the oil pick ups (mesh strainer) gets partially blocked up thus giving low oil pressure. Engines rattle quite alot from cold hydraulic lifters tend to tick quite loud & cam chain tensioners tend to rattle a bit...
The strainers appear to get blocked with alot of black sludgy carbon deposits this in turn starves the oil pumps.
Appears 1.8T engines appear to suffer worse in my experience....
Just keep up regular oil & filter changes & use good quality oil.
Castrol for instance is what VW recommend.
Hope this this sheds some light on the situation.
Have heard of a few people removing the oil pick ups cleaning or replacing them & this has worked but myself would allways replace the oil pump (which comes with new oil pick up) for peace of mind.:biglaugh: