PDA

View Full Version : YAW RATE SENSOR DEFECT '02 1.8T Passat

rosco
07-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Just had a diagnostic check done at my local garage, not a VW dealership.
They use the Snap-On Solus Pro Scanner and they have the most up to date software installed on it.
The traction control light has been showing on the dash for a week now. It was showing before Christmas and then simply went out.
The diagnostic showed 2 codes:

16825 EVAP Emission Control Sys Incorrect Flow P0441 Intermittent
&
01542 Yaw Rate Sensor (6202) Defect.

We cleared the codes which extinguised the traction control light but it came back on just after pulling away from the garage.
Can anyone shed any light on these codes as they don't mean a lot to me.
Thanks

iwaters
07-02-2011, 06:25 PM
The Yaw rate sensor is mounted on the stearing column and measures how much you turning the steering wheel. This is used by the ESP system to correct any loss in stability. It would appear from that fault code that the sensor is defective. Think they are pretty expensive.

The EVAP system allows evaporated fuel to be put into the air intake to be burnt rather than vent to open air. Here you may have a leaky pipe/canister or it maybe one of the valves is jamed.

ajshoe
21-11-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty sure this sensor is located under rear seat. Haven't seem any passats with it mounted on steering column

zollaf
21-11-2014, 03:49 PM
yes, the yaw sensor is under the rear seat and measure how much the car is yawing, or slewing side to side when you lose control. remoe plug, clean with contact cleanr , dry and re assemble. th sensor under the steering column is the steering angle sensor which tells the ecu where the front wheels are pointing.
now, lift the passenger carpet and you will find a pool of water most likely. its this water thats got into the connector for the yaw rate sensor. probably got into the connections as well for the rear abs sensors each side of the rear seat, and the crash sensor under the passenger seat. a good drying session and unblocking of plenum drains will most likely be needed.

Flash2
21-11-2014, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure this sensor is located under rear seat. Haven't seem any passats with it mounted on steering column
I think he'll have found it by now. This thread is from 2011, but at least the next person with a yaw sensor fault will know where to look.

zollaf
21-11-2014, 06:49 PM
it actually takes 4 years to find a yaw sensor, on average. :biglaugh: