PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 2009 A4 2.0T S-tronic Piston problem?

nays
07-02-2011, 01:48 AM
hi
i bought a new A4 2.0T quattro S-tronic mid 2009 (B8). i've had recurrent problems with engine not feeling right, gear changes being slow and jolty.

the audi dealer/service centre has tried various things. After a year of driving, the engine/car became very rattly/shaky- through trial and error, they found “engine mounts” were damaged (?why) and were changed, and then later service centre told me that they have to change the pistons to “modified pistons” (they said one of the original pistons had a leak on the “wrong side” of the piston). The pistons came from germany 2 months later. They have changed them now, but they say engine is not running normal, because they think the new “engine PCV” valve that came with the pistons is not working properly.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this kind of problem with this engine (I’m guessing if the pistons audi has made are actually different/”modified”, it would be because it’s a widespread problem).

I’m trying to get audi to swap the car with a new one, but not sure how I will succeed with that one.

Would really appreciate any info or leads.
Thank you
n

iwaters
07-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Sorry who looked at this and said you need new pistons? Sounds to me like they are talking utter b*****ks.

A PCV valve does not come with a set of pistons, unless it has been specifically ordered at the same time. A PCV valve allows gases from the crankcase to be entered into the air intake to be rebunt. Nothing to do with the pistons.

Pistons don't leak on any side unless the rings are worn, which they shouldn't be on a 2 year old car. Changing the pistons involves a complete engine rebuild, how much have they charged for that and who did it? I woudl have expected them to swap the engine if they really thought the pistions had a fault.

Time to find a new service centre, preferable one with a mechanic who has a basic knowledge of how engines work.