PDA

View Full Version : A3 TDi Quattro Sport Knocking and Whining

strimmer
06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Evening all

I collected my 2002 A3 1.9TDi Quattro Sport yesterday afternoon and have discovered a couple of suspiscious noises. The garage is happy for me to return so they can look and put right, so I hoped to learn possible causes before I go.

When pulling away from rest a knocking noise, to me sounds like the exhaust moving a little?

A whining noise like a belt, seems to be originating from the left hand of the engine block?

When pulling away from junctions and roundabouts and only in 2nd under load a distinct rumbling from the front nearside.

The car is perfectly poised on the road, displays no bad handling traits, no wobbles shakes and feels fine.

Garage has changed a spring on the front, at the time the salesman could not say on which side, the mechanic will be back on Monday.

Comments :confused:

dandam
10-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Take the salesman or even better the mechanic out for a drive in the car and point everything out, otherwise it'll never be sorted properly

strimmer
15-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Happy day, arranged time off work and got thru to the garage. Seems that an engine mount is worn and allowing the engine to tilt under the torque in 1st and 2nd it is bouncing/vibrating off a steel plate causing the knocking.

As I drove home to await the part, within a couple days :approve:, when I hear the noise again it feels exactly as the mechanic has said. The rumbling noises alluded to above are a part of my imagination trying to work out what might be making a noise in the first place.

Noticed on another thread the whining could be power steering fluid needing topped up and promise myself to check out in a day or two.