PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Windscreen for 93 Coupe!?

ellomoto
04-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi

I have been trying to ignore it for weeks now but that stone chip in my window of my 1993 Coupe V6 has now grown into a huge crack across 70% of my window!!

Im not covered by my insurance so will need to pay for the replacement myself.

Ive just been quoted £476 which is almost half what I paid for her! :confused:

Does anyone have any experience with this, or other suggestions of where to source one?

Im thinking scrapyards or something, but looking online everyone seems to point to..."Get a Professional"... I dont mind getting a professional... just mind the £476! Ouch

Cheers

Moto

raymondbilko
11-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Hi i have a spare screen off my 94 coupe so iff you email me on sgtbilko0795@hotmail.co.uk we can talk.

ellomoto
17-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi..

Some good advice....Look after your windscreens!!

I was quoted a laughable (I did actually laugh!) £634 by Auto Glass to fit a windscreen on a Saturday!! Madness!

Thanks @raymondbilko for your offer, I've decided to add 'windscreen' protection to my insurance and then claim in the not too distant future and pay the £75 excess!...

Until then.... ski goggles at the ready... :1zhelp:

Moto

raymondbilko
18-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi moto, makes sense m8 and make sure you add cover to your goggles just in case.

ellomoto
18-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Hahahah 'Goggle Cover' nice one funny! :biglaugh:

NickPicks
18-02-2011, 04:52 PM
You could try a local windscreen fitter rather than Autoglass. When I needed a screen on the Golf (cracked whilst sitting SORN on the drive), Autoglass quoted £475, a local mobile windscren fitter came and fitted a new one for £120.

ellomoto
18-02-2011, 11:56 PM
@NickPicks you are probably right, but from my conversation with Autoglass I get the impression that as these cars get older... getting hold of windscreens will get harder.. (??). When I confirm that my current windscreen has the 'section' that displays the VIN and the green tint at the top.. they seemed to 'sigh'?? -

Out of curiosity though, I will see I can find a local guy(s) for some quotes!

Cheers

Moto