PDA

View Full Version : Dpf

roadiescot
01-02-2011, 07:53 PM
is this a common problem to play up?

My 3.0 has done just over 34K miles (I've just bought it so someone else's running) and the glo plug warning started to flash the other day when I started it. It went out after a few miles but it ran like a pig until then.

Was told by the local dealer to run it at 40ish, 2500rpm for 10 minutes or so to recharge it.

Will this be a recurring problem??

theskyfox
07-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi,
First of all, dpfs are fitted onto all diesels that go into production now as they remove the smoke from the exhaust that would otherwise go into the air (the "particulates"). Doesnt matter if you have a BMW, Audi, Skoda etc..they all have to have it.

The DPF basically fills up with the particulate soot, and burns it off when your engine gets hot and is used on long runs. If you are driving around town mostly (i.e. start/stop traffic, less than 30mph average) then the DPF fills up and you'll need to take it for a run to burn it all off.

In answer to your question...if you use it around town mostly and short runs, then yes it will be a recurring situation for you because the engine needs to be run in 4th/5th gear at 2000rpm+ for about 10 minutes to burn it off. I think on average this will only be once every 600-900 miles though.

Simple solution is just to take it out for a blast on some dual carriageways/motorways every now and then just to get it nice and hot and burning off.

Just a tip though...don't ignore the warning light when it does come on the dash. The DPF continues to fill up with soot..and if it goes over a certain level you have to take it back to the dealer to get it regenerated which can potentially cost you money.

Hope this helps,

-Andrew