PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant Roof Rails

TinUK
29-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi,

I swapped my a4 saloon for an a4 avant 1.8 20v 1998. The car has no roof rails, and I cant find any for love nor money. Can they be fitted to my car, and if so where the heck can I find any?
Hope you can help.

Thanks.

Tin.

hoggy
01-07-2007, 08:38 PM
They are very hard to find as cars fitted with them have holes in the roof so they are never removed unless from a dead car (salvage/scrap) also if your car does not have rails you will not have the holes in your roof for them they can be done but the three holes needed (each rail) are all different shapes to cut out of your roof!! I have done this my self by drilling the bolt holes from inside the car (req roof lining removal) then templating the rail stems around the holes. it req some acurate cutting (leak testing ect ) not recommended if it is just for looks unless you are a skilled hand or are willing to pay a *******/garage to do it!!! as for finding the rails search breaker is your best bet!!!!!!

hoggy
01-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Sorry should have said the bolt holes for the rails are pre drilled on the inner roof piller skin (can be seen under roof lining) Hope this helps you!!!!

TinUK
01-07-2007, 08:49 PM
thanks for your reply, i understand now why they arent so easy to come accross. I will look at my local breakers for some, I reckon I can fit them ok though.

Ta,

Tin.

hoggy
01-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Make sure you keep the rubbers in tact they will be your template and your water seal on the roof and helps to get the allen key bolts with the rails Good look !!!

crisaudi
11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
dealers on line for audi a4 avant roof rail

the_wave_rider
14-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I looked into that then bought a roof rack off e-bay for £20 that fits an audi without the rails hell of a lot cheaper and easier!