PDA

View Full Version : fastners for sump guard and skid pan

johnmccracken
01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi,

I am looking for some of the fasteners for the skid pan and sump guard, do these have a special name that I can refer to when I am talking to the audi dealer,I assume they will sell these ?

Thanks

johnmccracken
01-02-2011, 01:39 PM
I meant to ask can I get these mail order ?

Thanks

SWARCUP
01-02-2011, 02:16 PM
there were some new sets on ebay a few days ago,

here you go http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-A6-A8-TT-RS2-RS6-UNDERTRAY-FIXING-KIT-GENUINE-/270566076629?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3efefeb0d5

;)

iwaters
01-02-2011, 03:09 PM

here you go http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-A6-A8-TT-RS2-RS6-UNDERTRAY-FIXING-KIT-GENUINE-/270566076629?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3efefeb0d5

;)

Yes I bought a set of those from that chap. Bloody good value, they cost about £40 at the main *******.

mikeybutch
01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
I find it easier just to use cable ties

JohnyIre
02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Cable ties all the way.

iwaters
02-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Will do that the next time I loose the lot. Cheers.

danclyon
03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Will do that the next time I loose the lot. Cheers.

A mate of mine described the under-trays and the fixing kits as a "cash cow" when he worked at a main dealer......said basically every vehicle that came in for service had one of the two under-trays broken in some way - and they would quote for a new tray kit each time, and most people will pay it. £110+vat for the rear tray inc fitting......and that's the small one!

Dan.

iwaters
03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
A mate of mine described the under-trays and the fixing kits as a "cash cow" when he worked at a main dealer......said basically every vehicle that came in for service had one of the two under-trays broken in some way - and they would quote for a new tray kit each time, and most people will pay it. £110+vat for the rear tray inc fitting......and that's the small one!

Dan.

Doesn't suprise me. My trays are crakced and split, was going to fix them with some galss fibre repair stuff but then thought whats the point? No-one will see it unless I run someone over and I doubt they would be interested.

nickeym1
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Hate to be the one to ask but is the undertray really necessary. I took mine off before lost all the fastners so just left it off. Does it deaden the sound of the engine or somethin

Martin F
03-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Nah, Audi just put it on for the sake of it :rolleyes:

danclyon
03-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Hate to be the one to ask but is the undertray really necessary. I took mine off before lost all the fastners so just left it off. Does it deaden the sound of the engine or somethin

It'll have negligible effect on noise given it's not the right sort of plastic, but it does stop a LOT of water and road spray etc from going up onto the parts under there. I looked under the tray on mine today as it was in the garage for something else, and it's in pretty good condition with only very light corrosion on some un-painted parts - so it must do SOME good :)

D.

nickeym1
03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
It'll have negligible effect on noise given it's not the right sort of plastic, but it does stop a LOT of water and road spray etc from going up onto the parts under there. I looked under the tray on mine today as it was in the garage for something else, and it's in pretty good condition with only very light corrosion on some un-painted parts - so it must do SOME good :)

D.
Mmmm maby ill put it back on tomo using the cable tie trick after i change the oil. No harm to have it on there i guess :beerchug:

nickeym1
03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Nah, Audi just put it on for the sake of it :rolleyes:
Do i sense a little sarcasm :biglaugh:

mikeybutch
03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
I think its useful in keeping the under side protected from muck and directing air up to cool the engine but it can be a pain.Splits caneasily be fixed by making holes and using cable ties which are much cheaper thanthe fixings which often go missing at garage servicing.First thing to check when snagging another car or when it gets back from servicing

danclyon
03-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Do i sense a little sarcasm :biglaugh:

To use a little Monty Python inspiration....

Oh no no no no no no no, yes.

:D

danclyon
03-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Mmmm maby ill put it back on tomo using the cable tie trick after i change the oil. No harm to have it on there i guess :beerchug:

ofc it's also there to drive the air over the bottom of the engine and axle to reduce drag a little so probably reduces road/wind noise also.....sadly I haven't got a wind-tunnel to hand to check that theory though ;-)

D.

nickeym1
03-02-2011, 10:06 PM
ofc it's also there to drive the air over the bottom of the engine and axle to reduce drag a little so probably reduces road/wind noise also.....sadly I haven't got a wind-tunnel to hand to check that theory though ;-)

D.
I was thinking the car wasnt as quick after taking it off alright im really after messin up the aero dynamics :biglaugh: the handling is gone to **** too :biglaugh:

yaman
03-02-2011, 11:29 PM

D.

Case for the defence of under-tray removers.. well someone had to.

It is not made of anything acoustically suppressant. In fact it acts as an
amplifier and an echo chamber.

Dirt, oil, muck and road-salt stay under the engine bay and sub-frame for years
because it never gets power-washed.

The trouble, of having to remove it, is a contributory factor when oil changes
are skipped.

It provides aerodynamic lift and could flip the car over, Bluebird style.

I rest my case,
Jim

iwaters
04-02-2011, 10:38 AM
It acts as sound deading and also to protect the parts of the engine from water and stones etc. Probably not strictly necessary, I haven't had mine on for about a year since I lost all the fastners and havent had chance to put it back

johnmccracken
04-02-2011, 06:51 PM

;)

Thanks, I got hold of some. I think next time cable ties will be the way to go.

spartacus 68
05-02-2011, 12:30 AM

Agree with that. The fasteners are a waste of time, and invariably shake free over time. ;)