PDA

View Full Version : Which is quietest - Golf vs Focus?

johnski60
30-01-2011, 07:02 PM
For those of you that are interested, I got the chance to compare the cabin noise levels in a 60 reg Focus 1.6 Zetec against my Golf 1.4TSI using a sound level metre. I drove both cars at 70mph on the same stretch of motorway.
The Golf won hands down.
On smooth surface Golf - 67dB Focus - 71dB
On rough surface Golf - 73dB Focus - 77dB
I think road noise was the main difference although the Focus engine seemed more audible than the Golf, particularly on quiet road surfaces. Tyres on both were Michelin - Golf were Energy Saver; Focus were Premacy HP.

mr gee
31-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Great to know that. Everyone who has sat in my car has commented on how smooth/quiet the car is. Having said that, it is quite sensitive to choice of tyres. On the OE Bridgestones, they were teeth rattling atrocious

percymon
31-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Tyre choice akes a huge difference in the Golf, my winter Nokians are miles quieter than the summer Bridgestones (partly due to the smaller contact patch, but probably more to do with the compound and design).

Michelin energy savers are low resistance tyres, which may infer they are also lower noise. Michelin primacy aren't noted for their noise levels.

Having said all that 4dB is a very noticeable difference, given the way dB scales work!

jonfun21
31-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Without going to the sophistication of the original poster the noise difference between my Golf and my partners Auris was staggering.

You can easily hold a conversation at 70 mph without raising your voice in the Golf and don't have to keep cranking the stereo up to hear the music. It was one of the major differences I noticed when I traded in my Mk4 for my Mk6.

Noise issolation is a feature that is often overlooked in car reviews in my view, they tend to focus on handling ability at the limit, which whilst interesting is not as important as motorway noise for most folk.

WeegieBob
31-01-2011, 09:50 PM
......., but probably more to do with the compound and design).

Exactly right Perc - tall side-walls have a lot to do with it, lots of flexible shock-absorbing height.

WeegieBob. ;)

Gerryf
31-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I found my Golf eerily quiet in comparison to a Focus.