PDA

View Full Version : Question wax removal

TimS996
30-01-2011, 09:00 AM
I've just bought my car which the dealer detailed badly. I want to wash it down and remove the detailing wax they sprayed everywhere before doing a proper job . Any suggestions for what to wash it with to remove the wax?

ddave05
30-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Use something like fairly liquid. Mix a high concentration in a spray bottle and use it on the stubbon areas with a detailing brush if you have one, or a mitt/sponge if you don't.

You can wash the whole car with fairy as long as you rinse thoroughly and protect afterwards.

itsonlyme
31-01-2011, 08:50 PM
I would never use fairy liquid or other household products as they are full of salt and other strong detergents,better to use a good quality shampoo with no wax added and then clean the paintwork with a paint cleaner then a quality polish then top it off with the best wax you can afford.:D

belfastmark
31-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Hi
I would take it to your local car wash. Ask them to spray the car with neat tfr ( Traffic Film remover), leave it for a minute and then power wash it off.
TFR is the stuff that they spray on the lower parts of the car to remove traffic film, the more stubborn residue that the car picks up from the road.
That should do the trick !

TimS996
31-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks. Having a go this weekend, weather permitting.

ddave05
01-02-2011, 02:35 AM
I would never use fairy liquid or other household products as they are full of salt and other strong detergents,better to use a good quality shampoo with no wax added and then clean the paintwork with a paint cleaner then a quality polish then top it off with the best wax you can afford.:D

I'd normally agree, but it is very good at removing existing wax. TFR is actually very caustic and can damage the paint if left on too long.

Nothing wrong with using washing up liquid, IF you rinse thoroughly and protect afterwards.........as I stated.

Eshrules
01-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I'd normally agree, but it is very good at removing existing wax. TFR is actually very caustic and can damage the paint if left on too long.

Nothing wrong with using washing up liquid, IF you rinse thoroughly and protect afterwards.........as I stated.

x2

Washing up liquid strips the paint of everything placed upon it - as long as it's washed off properly and the paintwork is sealed and waxed accordingly after, I see no reason to have to resort to TFR.