PDA

View Full Version : B5/5.5 Gear Knob

patomlin76
29-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi

Looking to replace the gear knob in my b6 passat, and the one I've found that is vW and matches my walnut trim is one from a b5. Is this the same fitment (i.e. clips under the gaitor and pulls off)?

Thanks for any help

rosco
04-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm afraid the b6 one is a completely different shape gaitor to the b5 and b5.5.
The gear knob is attached to the gaitor and certainly doesn't look like it would seperate.
I have just changed the gaitor/gear knob in my b5.5. They are £120 from volkswagen! I got mine on ebay from a place in Teeside for £35. OEM part. You can't purchase just the gear knob. It is a complete unit and is crimped on to the gear stick with a hose clip type clamp which is accessed by unclipping the gaitor from the plastic surround.
Hope this helps.

patomlin76
04-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the answer. Seeing as it was a bargain on ebay I took the chance. The gaitor doesn't matter to me as I'm not replacing it, just the knob.

Plus I also know that the B6 knob is attached in a similar way underneath the gaitor, so there is hope that it may fit. I'll either attempt a modification to fit it or just resell it on ebay again, less than a tenner so not loosing too much...

thanks again.