PDA

View Full Version : Help-fan wont turn off

csducks
29-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Hey guys,

as always im in need of some of your experience.

Ive just parked my car and it seems the fan wont turn off.
well something is blowing anyway, sounds like a vacum cleaner, i presume its the fan.

as it is, the heater works fine, although just about to go back out with my vag-com cable see if that can uncover the problem.

any help as always is greatly appreciated.

cheers

csducks
30-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Right to give a better description of the problem.

The fan of the radiator does not turn off upon turning the car off ie taking the key out. At moment its sitting in car park with a disconnected battery, as tbh i have no idea how i could solve this.

how did it happen, only idea i can think of was a bout a month ago or so there was a air leak somewhere in the system, unfortunately the garage couldnt find any problem with it, and after advice from different sources i decided to use that stuff you put in your coolent which blocks air leaks. yeah seemingly a stupid thing to do with hindsight.

anyway, maybe its just a coincidence, but yeah the state its in now the fan just doesnt stop.

Not sure if this is the problem(please can anyone confirm) but this is what shows up on the vag-com system print

01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100011
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 168
Mileage: 156208 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.01.01
Time: 19:05:36

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 14.30 V
Temperature: 10.0°C
(no units): 167.0
(no units): 32.0
Temperature: 6.0°C

now, am looking at banging it in garage at weekend for repairs, but would apreciate if anyone could give me a bit of guidance towards what im looking at.

and if this above error is the problem.

thanks guys

Crasher
30-01-2011, 04:39 PM
The V71 fault will not affect the cooling fan. I would start by unplugging the radiator fan switch and seeing is the fan stops, if it does you know you need a new switch. If it does not stop it is likely to be a faulty fan controller which is the box under the battery.

csducks
30-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Oh to clear up a few questions, upon originally finding the problem

I had a gas check done and that was fine, and they checked the heater that worked so did the air con..

and now i dont think there is a problem with overheating has there was no indication on the dash that it was getting hot, nor did it overheat, didnt go up above the normal temp at all if im honest.

so with my very little knowledge i imagine something is stuck on, or something, or rather me putting that **** in my coolent has caused either a fuse to blow or something to burn out.. there was a slight smell of a srange odour for a few seconds when i was driving back, but just noticable and not for long at all, i just though it was the stuff doing its job, blocking air leaks or whatever.

anyway, yeah, please please help.

cheers

csducks
30-01-2011, 06:07 PM
@Crasher

Thanks pal, that is really appreciated.

er where is the switch.. lol

csducks
30-01-2011, 06:26 PM
if anyone else has the same kind of probs i found a really helpful link which explains how these fans work etc etc

http://audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/59532-possible-radiator-fan-problem.html

Does anyone know if i can still drive my car safely while having this problem.

cheers

Crasher
30-01-2011, 08:48 PM
The switch is on the radiator low down adjacent to the battery.

csducks
30-01-2011, 10:42 PM
cheers pal, much appreciated. I read on a different site that if i turned econ off and it made that fan turn off it would show the problem as being fan problem.

Have you any thoughts on this subject?

cheers

Crasher
30-01-2011, 11:56 PM
If you turn ECON off that turns it onto AUTO which kicks the fan in, piutting it on ECON takes out the A/C compressor and makes th fan only run when the engine colant gets too hot.

csducks
31-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Right,

I gave it a bit of a road test, and my findings are as follows:

The fan(next to the radiator) doesnt turn off regardless of what i do.

The heater ie the coolent temp is not effected, at all, its completely normal in that regard.

The heater in the car works, the air con in the car works, goes up and down, seemingly without any difference to normal.

So my guess is the switch for the radiator fan is stuck on, or maybe i read the box under the battery maybe... lol tbh whati know about cars i could write on the back of a stamp, and a small one at that.

but in your experience, what am i looking at.

cheers

Crasher
01-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Unplug the fan switch on the radiator and see if the fan stops. The switch is difficult to get your had to so that you can squeeze the locking tabs to pull off the plug.