PDA

View Full Version : Question Best Tyre Dressing

A4 Lad
29-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi folks,
I have tried a few products lately :

A gallon of "Rubberlite" which is an oily brush on fluid ( the type you see in the attended car wash ) It is very good, value for money as it lasts years and very long lasting but does make a bit of a mess no matter how sparinly you use it.
A cheap aerosol silicon type spray from poundland which evaporated before it even landed on the tyre :) Not good in any form but what do you expect for £1
Simonzi Back To Black New Tyre Wet Look aerosol ( or some name to that effect ) Very nice to apply, easy to apply, lovely finish, very long lasting, nice smell if you miss and hit your jeans :) The only thing is that it is £5 a tin and realistically I would say that you would be lucky to get 2 full dressings out of it so very expensive at £2.50 a wash !!
Any thoughts or nice cheap ways out there ( not interested in paint or shoe polish ) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk as I cant be ***** turning on my laptop !

itsonlyme
31-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Have you tried turtle wax extreme tyre gel ,it goes a long way doesnt fling off and stays looking good even after another couple of washes.:D

belfastmark
31-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi Bangorlad !
I have the answer to your problem. Meguires Hot Shine ! I was consulting a detailer today as to which is the best dressing. I was told that any silicone based tyre dressing is good, it all rests as to how it is applied.
People spray it on, apply it with a paintbrush etc.
Clean your rubber, removing any trace of previous efforts and dry. Get a small sponge, the type you would use to apply wax or polish with and spray a decent amount onto the sponge and rub onto the tyre wall. It is trial and error until you find the right amount and stand back and enjoy.
I have found when using trigger bottles there is a lot of overspray and when you paint it on, you are using too much of the product. After a couple of days it ends up looking patchy and oily. Have a go and see !!

JimC64
01-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Belfastmark....thats exactly the approach I use to apply my tyre dressing too.......I use a small shoe shine type sponge and spray the tyre shine onto that then apply to the tyre.......A little goes a longggg way and cuts out the spray effect if you apply too much to the rear panels!

I have used Meguires Hot shine and it is good:approve: however, I find that Wet n black does just as good a job ......As you say, its all about the application :beerchug:

Eshrules
01-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi Bangorlad !
I have the answer to your problem. Meguires Hot Shine ! I was consulting a detailer today as to which is the best dressing. I was told that any silicone based tyre dressing is good, it all rests as to how it is applied.
People spray it on, apply it with a paintbrush etc.
Clean your rubber, removing any trace of previous efforts and dry. Get a small sponge, the type you would use to apply wax or polish with and spray a decent amount onto the sponge and rub onto the tyre wall. It is trial and error until you find the right amount and stand back and enjoy.
I have found when using trigger bottles there is a lot of overspray and when you paint it on, you are using too much of the product. After a couple of days it ends up looking patchy and oily. Have a go and see !!

I'm not convinced by this.

I've used a fair few tyre and plastic dressing products - Megs have always let me down - the only megs product I do use is their glass cleaner.

I would also discourage the use of a wax applicator for tyres, you'll not have much of it left by the time you're finished, you could do with using a proper tyre applicator, something like this :

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/trim-tyre-dressing-applicator/prod_340.html

As far as products themselves are concerned, I've found CG new look trim gel effective for faded plastics, but for tyres (dependant on the finish you're after) FinishKare topkote (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/finishkare-108as-top-kote-tire-dressing/prod_635.html)is good for a more natural finish, repels dirt and water well but doesn't last more than a few weeks.

Valet Pro's trim glitz (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=811)is a lot more durable, requires very little product when being applied and lasts around 4>5 weeks (on a daily hack).

belfastmark
03-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi
Meguires Hot Shine is great, until it gets wet ! Then it looks oily and patchy. Will knock that on the head and try something else. Might have a go with Autoglym tyre dressing applied with a sponge. Shall report back. Just a thought, has anyone tried using detailing spray on tyres ?????

iwaters
03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi
Meguires Hot Shine is great, until it gets wet ! Then it looks oily and patchy. Will knock that on the head and try something else. Might have a go with Autoglym tyre dressing applied with a sponge. Shall report back. Just a thought, has anyone tried using detailing spray on tyres ?????

Let me save you a few quid there. The Autoglym looks great when first applied but lasts about a day before fading.

belfastmark
12-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi
I have found over the last couple of weeks that it doesn't really matter what you use to dress your tyres, it is the quality of rubber that the dressing is to be applied.
Example, if you have really bargain basement rubber and you apply, say, rubberite, after a day or so it looks crap, wheras if you apply rubberite to say, pirelli, goodyear etc, you get a better finish which last longer.
Thats my opinion !

A4 Lad
12-02-2011, 09:04 PM
That is soo true as two of my tyres tend to keep their shine for weeks where as the other two look dull after two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk as I cant be ***** turning on my laptop !

belfastmark
15-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Bangor Lad.
Was down at Elite today and they have the proper applicator sponge for applying the tyre dressing. £1.95. I am presuming that you are from Bangor Co. Down and not Bangor England. I think it was your comment about using rubberite !!!!!!

Phutters
15-02-2011, 07:17 PM
I am presuming that you are from Bangor Co. Down and not Bangor England. There isn't a Bangor in England as far as I'm aware.

Maybe you mean one of the Bangors in Wales. Wales is that funny little wet place just to the left of England where all the people in corner shops stop speaking English and start speaking something completely unintelligible whenever you walk in.

The place where ambulances have 'ambiwlans' written on them and all the policemen are called Hedley.

Most odd.

A4 Lad
15-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Bangor Lad.
Was down at Elite today and they have the proper applicator sponge for applying the tyre dressing. £1.95. I am presuming that you are from Bangor Co. Down and not Bangor England. I think it was your comment about using rubberite !!!!!!

Yes Mark, Norn Iron :) Yea ruberite, thats the one. I just bought a 5 litre drum from Colin Adams so not sure about where they operate from. I will try googling them and see if I can order online. Im very anti social lol

PS - I knew what you meant Mark. I like your description of Wales lol, not that I have anything against it and I think the folk are very friendly from it but just the way you describe it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk as I forget how to use a full size keyboard !