PDA

View Full Version : Audi -residuals.

tlionhart
29-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I was recently in my local audi centre, looking to trade my A3 in for an A5 coupe.
I was surprised that after 2yrs of ownership of my car, I was looking at £3300 equity. (after my settlement was cleared. )

My A3 is a more-less fully spec'ed A3 in pristine condition, just without full leather, sat nav and cruise control. The A5 which was a 1800cc sline special edition up for £28k came with heated seats..thats bout it really.
What the salesman didn't know, is that I know both the A3 and A5 very well. I said I might consider a new one, however he stated it had £1000 worth of extras. I said 'thats why that car is a special edition, it use to come with ami, b&o, y alloys and bluetooth as standard. The only extra is the heated seats' So he slashed another £900 of the price. :)

They seemed very desperate about my car and were willing to cut all the costs to get me into the A5. They even baited the offer up with lifeshine, gap and service into the price. With all fairness, on my drive home I just thought 'the a5 is a nice car, but it just didn't have all the toys inside and on the test drive I will miss the hill hold and servotronic steering.'

After discussing this with my friends last night at the pub, they kinda brought me to my senses that nobody wants high performance cars, due to tax, insurance and fuel. Which I knew about anyway. However, most of audi's cars start at 1.8+, so people certainly still by them, right?
I did look on the audi site for a 1.4 sportback and hatchback...there just doesn't seem to be many. I gathered this is why the residual on my car is high and why the salesman wanted my car? I guess he was thinking, 'yipee! 2 sales coming my way! 1 for the a5 and 1 for his a3'.
Do A5's hold their value just as well as the A3? I see a lot of them about. Glad I stuck to the A3, I guess my next car will be another one.