PDA

View Full Version : mk2 1.8 golf Auto carb

mayedd
10-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi guys (first post),
I have a 1.6 driver and have just fitted the weber 32/34 and what a difference that makes!!! Anyway, my father has a 1.8 auto and is so impressed with my new carb he wants one on his. However when I spoke to GSF (where I got mine) they said that it would only fit the manual version! Does anyone know if it is possible to fit the weber 32/34 to an automatic?
Cheers

paulhumphries
10-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi guys (first post),
I have a 1.6 driver and have just fitted the weber 32/34 and what a difference that makes!!! Anyway, my father has a 1.8 auto and is so impressed with my new carb he wants one on his. However when I spoke to GSF (where I got mine) they said that it would only fit the manual version! Does anyone know if it is possible to fit the weber 32/34 to an automatic?
Cheers
Not sure which versions of the Weber I have but I bought a proper twin choke conversion for my 1.8 GL auto to replace the original twin choke Piersburg.
Cann't remember where I got it from but found it searching the various suppliers on-line. Main differences were brackets and the solenoid valve to raise tickover via vac to distributor when drive selected. I think I paid £199.

Paul Humphries.

mayedd
10-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks for that.
I can find a carb for the 1.8 its the weber 32/34 however they say that it is only for manual transmission!!! I have spent hours searching the net but so far no joy!!

paulhumphries
10-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks for that.
I can find a carb for the 1.8 its the weber 32/34 however they say that it is only for manual transmission!!! I have spent hours searching the net but so far no joy!!

I NEVER throw any kind of instructions away.
Problem is I have thousands (I've even got pre WWI motoring literature !) so give me a little time and I will find the ones for the Golf 1.8 Auto.
Hopefully that might give you the kit number at least for the auto version of the conversion plus I could scan them so you could check against your manual gearbox copy to see differences.

Paul Humphries.

paulhumphries
10-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Found the instructions !
The Weber 32/34 manual kit number is 22670916 and auto kit number 22670917. It replaces original fitment Pierburg 2E2.
The differences SEEM to be just throttle cable attachment bracket and the vac control solenoid.
I can scan instruction if that is of help.
Is there anywhere on this site where such scans can be posted so others can view them too ?
Only problem was with airfilter. The fitted carb is about 25mm higher . That means breather pipe from rocker doesn't reach and front air filter bolt doesn't fit bracket. I used machined spacers to extend the front bracket studs as I have a lathe but removing original studs and replacing them with long bolts or threaded rod and pile of washer would do same job.

Paul Humphries.

mayedd
13-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks Paul,
Thats great, I will get searching now!! I hope I can track one down as it should make a noce difference to his golf. Out of interest, how did you find your fuel economy with your auto. My dad feels that it is a bit of a gas guzzler!! I don't know what millege he is getting but the car is a G reg with 40K miles on it!!
Cheers

paulhumphries
13-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks Paul,
Thats great, I will get searching now!! I hope I can track one down as it should make a noce difference to his golf. Out of interest, how did you find your fuel economy with your auto. My dad feels that it is a bit of a gas guzzler!! I don't know what millege he is getting but the car is a G reg with 40K miles on it!!
Cheers
Our is G reg 1.8 GL auto but has now done 128,000 miles.
The carb change didn't make any difference to performance or economy - it was the same as the old Peirburg. I only changed due to the tickover unit on Peirburg developing a fault and a new Weber wasn't much more than repairing the old carb.
Fuel consumption is a sore point - it's thirsty. It's a while since I did any checks but reckon it's only doing 25 mpg on a run and a lot less around town / when cold. This is based on getting just over 110 miles on £20 of fuel.

Paul Humphries.