PDA

View Full Version : Audi servicing dilema

nohope
29-06-2007, 10:52 AM
No doubt some of you have been through this . Would you recommend main dealer or independent? I bought my a4 avant new last year and its due its service. Main dealer wants £380. That is taking the ****. However, not sure how the next buyer of my car would feel about a stamp from some generic garage in the book. Its only an oil change and filter. Should I just pay up and get it done at the main dealer? I know my warranty is not affected if I go independent.

Also any know of a good independent in s.e London/north kent? I've heard about a mobile servicing company called 4 rings in Dartford but know little else.

£380! That's extortion.:zx11:

mluton
29-06-2007, 10:59 AM
As long as they are VAT registered, just go for an independant.

£380 is alot of money, but thats Audi's Labour charges for you. It wouldnt bother me to buy a car without dealer stamps, as long as the schedule is stuck to.

Im in Birmingham, so i have no idea of a garage, sorry.

onzarob
29-06-2007, 11:28 AM
whats the hourly rate for London, its £65 +vat in Cornwall. I reckon you could have a night away in Cornwall and get it service at the same time for the same money;)

I'm sure I read a while ago it was cheaper to go to France and get the car serviced, than use London dealerships:confused:

Sam
29-06-2007, 11:29 AM
If it really is an oil and filter change - DIY.

Keep receipts of all the work and you're done.

mluton
29-06-2007, 11:34 AM
whats the hourly rate for London, its £65 +vat in Cornwall. I reckon you could have a night away in Cornwall and get it service at the same time for the same money;)

I'm sure I read a while ago it was cheaper to go to France and get the car serviced, than use London dealerships:confused:

I read that to, it was in one of the national papers.

MarkBS
29-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi, I had my TDI serviced recently at Bexley Audi...here is teh link to my previous thread...
http://vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7511&page=2
Seeing as I am on long service - 1 service every 2 years it works out at a reasonable cost plus you get a courtesy car
Just my 2p worth!!!
Mark

nohope
29-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Mark,
thats where I bought my Audi and they are the ones looking for 380. Bromley Audi want 375. heres the thing though: I bought it on a long life service but after 10k service light has come on. IIRC it should go to 18k before needing service?? When I rang the dealer, they said its cause I do lots of short journeys (which is true) that the engine has detected that I need a service now. I did tell the salesguy my driving pattern. So should I reset the service light (think Ive got a link to doing that) and just wait til next year. As a precaution I could get it serviced in a local reputable garage so as to have oil changed etc but not get them to stamp book.

Sam
29-06-2007, 01:55 PM
The guy told you it had detected your driving pattern and worked out you need a service?!

The service interval is set by the dealership within the car's ECU. When it nears the interval, it lights up the warning light.

nohope
29-06-2007, 02:13 PM
hmm, in the documentation i got with the car, the dealer ticked the long life service box but it would seem didnt set the ecu to reflect this.

RickT
29-06-2007, 07:44 PM
heres a tip..

if you want a VAG stamp.. the VW garage chargers less... and then the Skoda is less...

my dad took his to a VW Express a month or 2 back... yes its a VW stamp.. it wont put any buyers off if you ask me on his...

If you dont want to go AUDI,... i would try and stay in the VAG range at least just for the history..

RickT

gazza57
29-06-2007, 08:53 PM
My experience of dealers mostly VW is that they are indifferent, their work is shoddy and above all expensive. We have two dealers where I live, one of which I bought a Golf from new a few years ago.
Like many others I thought as you, that having a main dealer stamp in your service book meant a greater chance of getting a better price when you came to sell it.
What a price to pay, had several faults with the new car, pulldown choke unit faulty, took six visits and patronising and indifferent attitudes from service dept toward my wife probably because she was a "girlie" it's the way you drive luv! yeah right.
Found oil in coolant 12000 miles in, split oil cooler £300, new coolant £18.
No repair under warranty despite jaw marks on the cooler body.
Split rear suspension bush, not replaceable, new rear subframe £600, discs worn and uneven, one blue and pads down to the metal, no note made despite £400 major service 60 miles earlier.
Refused to consider warranty claim because I had an independent garage do a small roll bar bush replacement and had therefore invalidated the warranty!
Crash damage, minor repair to rear wing and door, £1850 insurance job.
Paint blistered and patchy, refused to accept it, went back a day later door merely buffed and now showing white primer spots, again refused to accept it. After three more attempts paint was passable, but after six months respray area turned pinkish. no refund or respray, in short a crap job.
Needless to say, I could not resist telling them that I consider that the standard of their work is so poor that it could be considered a positive selling point not having dealer stamps in your handbook. I would not even trust them to make a cup of tea let alone service my car!
I use an independent, the same one whose "unauthorised non VW repair" had invalidated my warranty, he is thorough and professional and has serviced my vehicles ever since. His rates are £38/hour +VAT compare that with £99/hour +VAT at the dealer.
Get a good independent, they're more professional, knowledgeable and above all have integrity, you don't get the feeling you're being ripped off!
Gazza57

4RingsDH
01-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Also any know of a good independent in s.e London/north kent? I've heard about a mobile servicing company called 4 rings in Dartford but know little else.

4 Rings - Mobile maintenance for Audi vehicles

Labour Rate £39 per hour + VAT

Hi all, as you can see i am a new on here. I look forward to visiting this forum more often.
Apologies to the moderators for plugging '4 Rings', i just felt there was a question that needed to be answered.

Dean

Sam
02-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi all, as you can see i am a new on here. I look forward to visiting this forum more often.
Apologies to the moderators for plugging '4 Rings', i just felt there was a question that needed to be answered.

Dean

It's a shame your first post was a plug though.

Shoot a quick PM to the Boss (Stuart) to let him know your advertising intentions (if any) and all's well.

It'd be good to have you on board ;)

MarkBS
02-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi again, the long service is up to 2 years and yes it does depends on journey type but also driving style - if you floor it to pull away the 'time' between services goes down. My car was 6 montsh old when I bought it with 3k on the clock. Just been serviced at 11.5k but car now 20 months old....I don't have too heavy a right foot!!!
Mark

mluton
02-07-2007, 12:49 PM
On Variable service mine came on at 20K and 37K. Concidering going to fixed now its out of warranty.

dah1164
26-07-2007, 08:24 AM
My experience of dealers mostly VW is that they are indifferent, their work is shoddy and above all expensive. We have two dealers where I live, one of which I bought a Golf from new a few years ago.
Like many others I thought as you, that having a main dealer stamp in your service book meant a greater chance of getting a better price when you came to sell it.
What a price to pay, had several faults with the new car, pulldown choke unit faulty, took six visits and patronising and indifferent attitudes from service dept toward my wife probably because she was a "girlie" it's the way you drive luv! yeah right.
Found oil in coolant 12000 miles in, split oil cooler £300, new coolant £18.
No repair under warranty despite jaw marks on the cooler body.
Split rear suspension bush, not replaceable, new rear subframe £600, discs worn and uneven, one blue and pads down to the metal, no note made despite £400 major service 60 miles earlier.
Refused to consider warranty claim because I had an independent garage do a small roll bar bush replacement and had therefore invalidated the warranty!
Crash damage, minor repair to rear wing and door, £1850 insurance job.
Paint blistered and patchy, refused to accept it, went back a day later door merely buffed and now showing white primer spots, again refused to accept it. After three more attempts paint was passable, but after six months respray area turned pinkish. no refund or respray, in short a crap job.
Needless to say, I could not resist telling them that I consider that the standard of their work is so poor that it could be considered a positive selling point not having dealer stamps in your handbook. I would not even trust them to make a cup of tea let alone service my car!
I use an independent, the same one whose "unauthorised non VW repair" had invalidated my warranty, he is thorough and professional and has serviced my vehicles ever since. His rates are £38/hour +VAT compare that with £99/hour +VAT at the dealer.
Get a good independent, they're more professional, knowledgeable and above all have integrity, you don't get the feeling you're being ripped off!
Gazza57
Dear Gazza, i'm having the same problem as well with my Audi A3 1.9TDI. This car cost myself £10000. I split the sump in 3 months of purchasing it.I stopped the car imediatley phoned for the breakdown service and waited for them to transport my car to a garage reccomended by my insurance company. Having examine the damage a new turbo and sump was fitted to the tune of £1800 courtesy of direct line. Soon after picking the car up which was four weeks later and £300 lighter due to hiring out a vauxhall astra (courtesy car is only for 14 days) a low oil pressure light appeared on the dashboard. This i had looked at by an engineer sent by direct line to my home who confirmed that the car had low oil pressure. Upon learning this i requested that the car be fixed by Audi thinking that they would do a better job! How wrong was i wrong. Nine months later after much investigation and no conclusion as to why they could not fix the engine they replaced the bottom half. All the time they were debating this i was spending £100s on hired cars. Audi did give me some courtesy cars but all i wanted was my car fixed. Having got the car back with new engine THREE MONTHS LATER DRIVING ALONG A DUAL CARRIDGE WAY THE CAR STARTED TO ACCELLERATE OF ITS OWN ACCORD FORCING ME TO PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL AND TURN THE IGNITION OFF. Coasting to a standstill i managed to start the car again. The engine revved right up to the red line which is at about 3700. I switched the ignition off well before this infact as soon as i detected the revs were not going to fall. When the car was towed back to Audi they examined the engine stripped the engine to bits and concluded that the Engine had been deliberatley OVER REVVED AND THAT THEIR WARANTEE DOES NOT COVER THIS. This is inspite the fact that i have been DRIVING FOR 25 YEARS AND I DO KNOW WHERE 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH AND 5TH GEARS ARE. THE DEALERS ARE VERY SMUG ABOUT WHAT THEY KNOW. I can empathize with the way you feel my case is still on-going i shan't ever by an Audi again. dah1164

onzarob
26-07-2007, 11:21 AM
I switched the ignition off well before this infact as soon as i detected the revs were not going to fall. When the car was towed back to Audi they examined the engine stripped the engine to bits and concluded that the Engine had been deliberatley OVER REVVED AND THAT THEIR WARANTEE DOES NOT COVER THIS. T

you cant over rev a diesel it has a rev limiter! the only way it can over rev if the seals are leaking oil on the turbo and the engine run on the oil...

this causes the engine to implode only way to stop is put it in gear and stall it.

I really suggest you get an independent engineer and legal advice,, your being fed some lies.

dah1164
27-07-2007, 01:15 PM
you cant over rev a diesel it has a rev limiter! the only way it can over rev if the seals are leaking oil on the turbo and the engine run on the oil...

this causes the engine to implode only way to stop is put it in gear and stall it.

I really suggest you get an independent engineer and legal advice,, your being fed some lies. Hello onzarob 59922 thanks for the advice. So far i have had two engineers reports. One from the rac stating that i should get a second opinion of which i did from car checkers. they said that they would need to see the engine running as far as they can tell the engine has been over revved. All of this to the tune of £300 for each examination. I shall seek legal advice as i have been through the citizen advice bureau, trading standards and oftel. They all say get some legal advice. If i can brandish their name in the process for the sake of the common citizen in the street then so be it.:zx11:

onzarob
27-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I think you'll need to be persistent, but sounds like you have a case.

Couger
06-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Hello onzarob 59922 thanks for the advice. So far i have had two engineers reports. One from the rac stating that i should get a second opinion of which i did from car checkers. they said that they would need to see the engine running as far as they can tell the engine has been over revved. All of this to the tune of £300 for each examination. I shall seek legal advice as i have been through the citizen advice bureau, trading standards and oftel. They all say get some legal advice. If i can brandish their name in the process for the sake of the common citizen in the street then so be it.:zx11:

Any News on this yet m8 ?

GH20TDI
08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
The guy told you it had detected your driving pattern and worked out you need a service?!

The service interval is set by the dealership within the car's ECU. When it nears the interval, it lights up the warning light.

Mine sets itself about 2 weeks after the service - it works it out. Typically it is about 16k miles. We do short journeys around London mostly, with fortnightly long journeys out of London.

Replying to another question - Wimbledon Audi are very proud to point out that they will charge you the Princely sum of £115 per hour for their trainee scrotes to change your oil! That trip to Cornwall beckons, although may to a Cronish Skoda dealer!

dah1164
18-11-2008, 01:44 AM
I have had my car serviced at an Audi main dealer. After a new bottom end and no warrantee it blew up. they kindly asked me for £2000 storage fee's or my logbook and keys! On the plus side I did get to drive an A4 Quatro S line as a coustesy car.

dah1164
18-11-2008, 01:53 AM
:zx11: I had an Audi A3 which i had serviced at a main dealer. After a new bottom end, which blew up and had no warrantee. They refused to release the car unless I paid for storage (£2000) or hand over the log book. On the good side I got to drive an Audi Quattro 2.7 S line.:zx11:

TheMatador
18-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Dear Gazza, i'm having the same problem as well with my Audi A3 1.9TDI. This car cost myself £10000. I split the sump in 3 months of purchasing it.I stopped the car imediatley phoned for the breakdown service and waited for them to transport my car to a garage reccomended by my insurance company. Having examine the damage a new turbo and sump was fitted to the tune of £1800 courtesy of direct line. Soon after picking the car up which was four weeks later and £300 lighter due to hiring out a vauxhall astra (courtesy car is only for 14 days) a low oil pressure light appeared on the dashboard. This i had looked at by an engineer sent by direct line to my home who confirmed that the car had low oil pressure. Upon learning this i requested that the car be fixed by Audi thinking that they would do a better job! How wrong was i wrong. Nine months later after much investigation and no conclusion as to why they could not fix the engine they replaced the bottom half. All the time they were debating this i was spending £100s on hired cars. Audi did give me some courtesy cars but all i wanted was my car fixed. Having got the car back with new engine THREE MONTHS LATER DRIVING ALONG A DUAL CARRIDGE WAY THE CAR STARTED TO ACCELLERATE OF ITS OWN ACCORD FORCING ME TO PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL AND TURN THE IGNITION OFF. Coasting to a standstill i managed to start the car again. The engine revved right up to the red line which is at about 3700. I switched the ignition off well before this infact as soon as i detected the revs were not going to fall. When the car was towed back to Audi they examined the engine stripped the engine to bits and concluded that the Engine had been deliberatley OVER REVVED AND THAT THEIR WARANTEE DOES NOT COVER THIS. This is inspite the fact that i have been DRIVING FOR 25 YEARS AND I DO KNOW WHERE 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH AND 5TH GEARS ARE. THE DEALERS ARE VERY SMUG ABOUT WHAT THEY KNOW. I can empathize with the way you feel my case is still on-going i shan't ever by an Audi again. dah1164

I had this happen a couple of years ago on a Ford Focus. It was a faulty earth connection on the engine which a local mobile mechanic diagnosed and fixed for 15quid (Bracknell Mobile Mechanic). A lot of the mobile/independent guys seem to be the experienced ones who used to work at dealerships then went independent when they had the experience.

thecount
18-02-2009, 06:01 PM
I've just been called by my local dealer and they have offered me a special offer. I have 84879 on the clock of my A4 Avant 2.0 TDI sline. last service was at 67k. Have had a cam belt change recently from an independent, so I dont need that,

They are offering £122.98 for a minor service, inc a pollen filter change. don't know, they are saying it would normally cost about £220

any good?

redducati
18-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Mine has FASH thanks to the last owner, Now i own it, it will never see the inside of a Main dealer. I have a friend who run a very sucessful and reputable garage he only works on German cars and knows them inside out. Minor service to me will be circa £70. Cambelt on my last A4 was £200. He always uses genuine parts, so happy days.

dah1164
19-02-2009, 10:45 AM
I've just been called by my local dealer and they have offered me a special offer. I have 84879 on the clock of my A4 Avant 2.0 TDI sline. last service was at 67k. Have had a cam belt change recently from an independent, so I dont need that,

They are offering £122.98 for a minor service, inc a pollen filter change. don't know, they are saying it would normally cost about £220

any good?
The best thing to do is to get a friend to service your car. Buy the pollen filter from Audi because it is genuine (hopefully) and the oil you can buy anywhere. this should cost you in total about £100. I work at ford in dagenham where they make all diesel engines. So long as you can get the audi service book stamped by any legitimate garage you will be covered. Best of luck.

SINGHY
21-02-2009, 01:21 PM
I was in a similar situation recently and in the end I haggled with the dealers (Bradford, Leeds and Manchester Audi) and managed to get a first 20k service done for £250 all in at Bradford Audi and I still got a courtesy car. I was originally quoted £370 but I told them what they could do with that. Remember there's a "credit crunch" so we need to make these guys compete!

toff
22-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Apparently modern Audi engines have an oil sampling unit:

When the oil has reached the correct temperature, a sample is sucked into a chamber where it is cooled-down. The length of time it takes to cool down determines how effective the oil is and the service interval is adjusted accordingly.

Don't take the above as gospel because:

An Audi salesman told me it
It might be something to do with viscosity or translucency (instead of cool-down time)?

But in either case, I think the engine has a reliable way of gauging the time needed until the next service, depending upon how then engine is used (short trips / mainly motorway / constantly thrashed / driven by grandad!)

Al.