PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Oil Pump Conversion Kit for BLB Engine

James1965
26-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Can anyone please advise where i can purchase one of these from and likely cost. Is it only available from VW-Audi?

Many thanks

Mr-Rob
27-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi mate, I'm not sure about a conversion kit, but give this guy a call.

Mike - 07970478931 - Volksspares in Coventry, West Midlands

He does the full conversion for around £800 with a years gaurantee.

Rob

Crasher
27-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Buy it genuine and it comes with a two year labour inclusive warranty.

Mr-Rob
27-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Crasher,

What do you mean by that?

Crasher
27-01-2011, 11:55 AM
If you buy the part genuine from an appropriate VAG dealer and the parts are fitted by a garage, they are covered by a two year VAG parts and labour warranty so should they fail, the car goes into the appropriate VAG dealer and is fixed for free including any consequential damage. This is why we only fit genuine VAG timing belt kits.

Mr-Rob
27-01-2011, 04:37 PM
If you buy the part genuine from an appropriate VAG dealer and the parts are fitted by a garage, they are covered by a two year VAG parts and labour warranty so should they fail, the car goes into the appropriate VAG dealer and is fixed for free including any consequential damage. This is why we only fit genuine VAG timing belt kits.

Thanks buddy !

James1965
11-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Hi hoping for a little advice here. My A4 has been in a independant garage for a few weeks now.

My question is this. The garage has advised that the engine and turbo has thankfully not been starved of oil or overheated.

Consquently the reconditioned engine i had been quoted £1500 for a reconditioned engine is now not required.

My garage has quoted me £1700 plus VAT for the repair of the engine which includes the purchase of the direct driven Audi conversion kit which i know costs £780 plus VAT.

I have quizzed why the cost is so high, when they originally quoted me £400 plus VAT to take the old engine out and install a repalcement reconditioned engine!

I have been advised that another £300 of parts are required, new timimg belts, water pump etc. Even allowing for these, this still means the labour costs have almost doubled.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Crasher
11-02-2011, 12:15 AM
It is a difficult and time consuming job and yes there are a lot more parts required than just the balance shaft set, I think the price quoted is about right.

James1965
11-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Many thanks for your advice.

James1965
28-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi Crasher,

I have just picked up the car after almost 5 weeks off the road and all seems well.
However, i rang the original garage who the car was initially taken to, to chase up the bill from them for their initial diagnosis.

They had passed it onto another garage who removed the sump and diagnosed the oil pump failiure and in so doing had damaged the antiroll bar by attempting to remove it without the front wheels being supported and also brkoe/lost parts for the undershield whichg is nowq costing me another £45 to replace.

It might be sour grapes on their behalf, but they have advised that without a replacement short engine, they do not think it will run for long without other issues arising around the crankshaft and bearings etc.

They did not inspect the top half of the engine, but the garage that did the repair did check it, including the turbo and advised that in their opinion there hadn't been a severe case of oil starvation to the top of the engine or turbo and hence the repair they subsequently carried out.

The car does seem to be running ok, I am just a little paranoid i guess.

I would welcome your thoughts on this.

To top things off, my boot release lever went this weekend when attempting to lift the bonnet. Any ideas on how to repair this?

Many thanks in anticipation

Crasher
28-02-2011, 12:13 PM
There is no way to asses if any damage has been done to the engine without stripping it down so if it sounds and feels OK now, it may be OK but it will certainly not have done it any good.

Which release lever has broken, the internal bonnet pull or the one in the grill?

James1965
28-02-2011, 12:41 PM
I think it might be the internal one. I felt someting go as i pulled the lever.

I assumed it was that one, but i guess it could be the other end, inparticular if the front end has just been put on.

To be honest, the engine was running at the time idling on the drive when i attemnpted to open the bonnet and it had been opened before when engine was off after return from garage.

Any advice or assistance you could give me would be most appreciated.

Its due its MOT on 21st March and i will have to get this sorted before then or face even further garage expense.

Mant thanks in anticipation.

Crasher
28-02-2011, 02:10 PM
So you can't open the bonnet now?

James1965
28-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Yes that is the case!!

Crasher
28-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Ohh, that is not pleasant! I think you will have to go in from below with the lower cover off and somehow get hold of the cable, it is not a job I would look forward too!

Elkfordtony
27-04-2011, 06:33 PM
I have been told so much crap by Audi about other engines to replace my BLB I have decided to price a fully reconditioned engine with the updated chain driven pump. I live in northern Ireland but I am willing to go further afield.

WHO does the best job at the best price for a reconditioned engine

T

Crasher
27-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Try The Engine Shop, they OK-not perfect but OK.

Elkfordtony
28-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Cheers they have a good website, might even strip mine and just get the parts need to cost it first. By the way the services have my support I am in the front line here and had met capt Lisa Head a few times. God bless her and her family
T