PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan has gained power but overheats

superstardeejay
26-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi, when I drove home from work yesterday I noticed the car had somehow gained some form of extra power..it felt like my old Golf GTI. Weird. I noticed the temp gauge rising way faster than normal, by the time I got home 5minutes later it was on normal but the car smelled 'hot'. As I got out, the 2 rad fans were whizzing full speed, and continued to do so for a good 10 minutes after I turned the car off. Oil and water levels are fine, oil temp on the display says 64deg C.

Now its just over freezing here, I normally only hear the fan come on in traffic when it's blazing summer. I only live 5mins from work yet it reaches working temp in about 2 mins. I get this weird turbo-boost and a hot smell. I have no aux heating on or heated seats. There are no warning lights. It is doing every journey now even if I go 2 miles.

Any ideas, folks? It is under warranty but there's a huge waiting list for the garage.

2009 tiguan 4motion 2.0L diesel
14,000 miles
Manual

MJBrown77
19-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Not sure on the power gain but fans on, smelling hot sounds like youve stopped in the middle of the diesel particulate filter going through a burn cycle. Freaked me out first time but perfectly normal.

superstardeejay
19-02-2011, 07:08 PM
You're right, that's what it was.

After allowing it to continue, its happy again

Crasher
19-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I was doing a forced regen today, I wanted to get out of the car when I could see the post turbo pre cat temp was 840°c on the lap top!