PDA

View Full Version : Door Sill Plates

Mimmo
28-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Anyone know where I can get some Stainless Steel Door Sill plates?

I have seen the official VW ones in the accessories catalogue, but I don't want to pay full price when you can get after market products for less than half the VW price. I can find plenty of these for B5 Passats but not B6.

Also, anyone know if you can buy the chrome trim for the slats of the grill?

Cheers, Dom :Blush:

MisterD
29-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I've just used an eBay seller called Silverwagen to get a Dog Guard for my (soon to be) B6. They have an eBay shop and reckon they can source most stuff.

The chap I spoke to was friendly, and it looks from paperwork that they are an arm of a VW Dealership in Barnsley.

Anyway, they had what I wanted for the B6. Chap explained to me that the guard was made by the same people who make the VW ones, but I saved £100 by not having it in a VW Box.

The guard has just turned up (2 days after placing order) and it is exactly as he said, so I'm more than happy.

You can find their details on eBay, I'll certainly be trying them in future if I need accessories. If you do end up phoning them, mention eBay otherwise they put you onto normal VW Parts man.

Dave

PNS2007
30-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi, I've recently bought some off e-bay. If you view the following item it might help you - 170111628619

They are good quality and have a small decal with the words Lockwood.

Cheers

Neil

Quatrelle
30-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Just checked Lockwoods website, they don't list anything for the B6.....

PNS2007
30-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Hi I bought my sill proctectors off e-bay from a seller known as superdials which appear to be liknked to Lockwood Interbational. If you visit e-bay and type in the item number I posted earlier you will see. I have fitted them to my car and the look great. (On all 4 sills). Perhaps Lockwood haven't updated their web site?

Neil

Quatrelle
01-07-2007, 06:24 PM
......... Perhaps Lockwood haven't updated their web site?

NeilYou're probably right there. I'm also looking for a bumper protector at the boot. Seen some on ebay, but not sure of the quality. Be handy if Lockwood had some. I'll email them tomorrow.

Mimmo
01-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've checked out the ebay items from Lockwood and they look good. I'll probably go for them. No decals or etching, but that must be why the VW ones cost 80 quid more.

BenR
02-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Bumper protection for the estate: having been told by one dealer there was no such thing, another dealer confirmed that VW do a self-adhesive plastic film to protect the top of the bumper. I bought one and it does. Easy to fit by the wet method.

Quatrelle
02-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Bumper protection for the estate: having been told by one dealer there was no such thing, another dealer confirmed that VW do a self-adhesive plastic film to protect the top of the bumper. I bought one and it does. Easy to fit by the wet method.
How much was it, have you got a part no.? and, silly question, what is the 'wet method'?:o

iaint
02-07-2007, 11:55 AM
The part number is 3C5061197 and it costs £36. Check first that this is the one for estate and not a saloon although I think they may be the same part. I fitted one to protect my bumper from the dog climbing in and out and it works a treat.

It's basically a big clear plastic sticker and the 'wet method' is how the instructions advise you to attach it. You cover the glue with a mixture of water and the contents of a sachet of a solution which is supplied with the kit. This enables you to place it on the bumper and move it about without it sticking. You then use a plastic card (also supplied) to squeeze out the water and you finish it off with a hair drier. This method prevents it sticking the moment it touches the bumper and allows it to be moved into position, it also stops air bubbles from getting trapped and the resultant finish looks very professional. Even when fitted by me !!!

Cheers
Iain

Quatrelle
02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for that Iain - very comprehensive! As I said earlier, I've looked at metal ones on ebay but the quality is an unknown - and they stick instantly! If Lockwoods don't do anything really exceptional I think I'll go down your route.

Best wishes
John

iaint
02-07-2007, 02:17 PM
The best thing about the VW one is because they are clear plastic they don't stand out. In fact if you don't know it's there you may not even spot it.

Iain

PNS2007
03-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi, I have taken some photos of the Lock wood sills I have bought as previously stated. They appear to be stainless steel and from the weight of them are pretty substantial. They are fixed with adhesive tape which holds them good and would be difficult to move if positioned in the wrong place. I hope this helps

Neil

(I hope the photos attach!!)