PDA

View Full Version : Sharan; Fumes in cabin

rbraddley
25-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi Guys,

I had the auxilary heater reconnected as the previous owner had it disconnected due to the cabin filling with diesel fumes.

Can this problem be rectified or should I just live with the smell. It appears that the problem is there when it is cold. out the smell. I have kids in this car and they have complained about the fume filled cabin.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the aux heater appears to operate when the outside temp is say 6 degrees outside. Does the aux heater constantly work to get the engine temp to operating temp quicker with no regard for the outside temp.

Any fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Crasher
25-01-2011, 02:20 PM
The aux heater needs a new glow plug.

rbraddley
25-01-2011, 03:39 PM
The aux heater needs a new glow plug.Crasher can you explain how to remove old heater plug and where it is located , any pics would be great.

Crasher
25-01-2011, 04:44 PM
It depends on the year and the type of heater fitted but I don’t have any pictures but you have to remove the unit, detach the control box on the end and the lower cover, then you can get to the glow plug.

rbraddley
25-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi Cracker,
So its a 03 sharan not sure about what make it is. But if i remove the glow plug as you discribed do I have to do anything with ecu or get it reprogrammed following new plug insertion?

Cheers, Brad

Crasher
25-01-2011, 06:31 PM
You could do with giving it a code read and clearing any faults but otherwise it is straightforward.

kenney
25-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Quote not sure about what make it is,(it's an Eberspächer)

rbraddley
21-02-2011, 05:09 PM
It was the last straw yesterday. The rear heater was working ok up until it decided to fill the cabin via the A pillar housing the passanger seat belt . It was billowing out smoke like a chimney. Had to put all windows down. Can anybody explain why the smoke was coming from the A pillar on the passanger side?

rbraddley
21-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Gearbox oil replacement sump tool FOR VW sharan 03 and Audis
Tool required to remove sharan 03 gear box sump nut is a draper part no. 63476. I am going to change gearbox oil and put in recall gearbox oil which has added lubricant to aid clunking gearchange. Hope this info helps anybody doing DIY and not simply dropping it into main dealers!

Crasher
21-02-2011, 06:51 PM
It is getting up from the underbody.

rbraddley
22-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Crasher,

It must be getting into the internal trim in the floor somehow, is there any obvious places to look or pipes inside?

I have disconnected the heater for now, but obviously I will have to reconnect and see where it is getting in. It must be stressed that the smoke was getting pumped into the cabin and exiting out the A pillar where the seat belt retractable belt enters. I was under the belief that the aux heater had a flow and return pipe attached externally underneath leading to the engine to aid engine heat up on start up. Is there any more piping? Are there rubber grommits in the car to aid internal pressure release when the door is shut that could be still open?

This is the first time this smoke was literally pumping in since I reconnected it 2 months ago. Its one of those dangerous problems though which I need to fix.
Anybody had any similar experiences?

Cheers
Brad

Crasher
22-02-2011, 10:25 AM
You need to address why it is making the smoke, not why it is getting in. You probably need a new glow plug.

matthewgdavies
22-02-2011, 11:17 AM
As Crasher says you need to cure the problem not the effect:
Copy of a post I made previously which I hope you will find helpful:-

1). If new glowplug needed, original part (made by BERU for VW) is obtainable here - vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=54
Beru short part code GH001 - from memory abt £25

2). Good aux heater dismantling/re-assembly instructions (with pictures) are on fordgalaxy.org.uk - tech section/ faqs, common questions and solutions (page 6) - you need to register but it's free soak all visible screw/bolt heads in wd40 in advance

3). Check with VCDS should show (if glowplug is at fault) max 4 x repeated flameout errors followed by 1 x system lockout error - system will NOT restart until these errors are cleared - note if you clear the faults before replacing glowplug then it will lockout again if system fails to start another five times

Ideally you should approach in order 3) (to confirm faulty plug) then 1) then 2) then 3) again - be warned that when fixed it will smoke like mad for a day or three until any unburnt diesel in the unit burns off - it's best to make a number of short journies to keep the unit running until all excess diesel is gone
Note 3) may not apply to you as your glowplug is still partially heating

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/applied/misc/progress.gif

rbraddley
23-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Matthew,

Cant register on galaxy website as it doesnt accept gmail accounts. Can you copy info and post here? Thanks in advance.

Brad.

matthewgdavies
28-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi Brad, apologies for the delay - I have been away and did not have forum p/w on Blackberry
The Fordgalaxy.org.uk website seems to be down now but there is a copy of what looks like the same instructions here although not quite as comprehensive as I recall

http://www.fordmondeo.org/threadattach/1231366309-AuxHeater.pdf

Get under the car asap and spray all the torx head bolts with WD40 now in the hope that they will free more easily

Hope this helps

rbraddley
28-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Matt,

Thanks a million matt these instructions are very helpful. Have ordered glow plug from VW and will attempt removal tomorrow, also replacing temperature sensor as heater fan running constantly.

VW are nice but hey they keep you busy.

Cheers,

Brad