PDA

View Full Version : Question 18" wheels

Macdoon
24-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi all

How can i find out the exact spec of my wheels, ET etc, asked my local dealer, what a waste of time, he said quote "can you come back tomorrow when the tech is here" and that was a techy :aargh4:

What info do i need to post?

A mate is getting rid of his 18" 5 stud speedline (only 2k from new) will they fit?

Thanks
Mac

aaudi4
24-01-2011, 10:49 PM
hi, hope this helps as bit basic
the ET (offset) should be printed on the back of both sets of alloys. if the same then will fit. if different may still fit as there are tolerances but would have to find them out. (i dont no)
other measurements with alloys, are for example 5x110, 5x112 5x118 etc. the first number 5, relates to number of studs, the 2nd number is the measurement size of those studs going round thru middle of each hole. so just measure your wheel and find measurement of wheel after.
if poss for your mates wheels best bet is to try 1.
google alloy wheel fitting and companies will explain far better than my mumbo jumbo but hope might help slightly

Macdoon
24-01-2011, 10:59 PM
hi, hope this helps as bit basic
the ET (offset) should be printed on the back of both sets of alloys. if the same then will fit. if different may still fit as there are tolerances but would have to find them out. (i dont no)
other measurements with alloys, are for example 5x110, 5x112 5x118 etc. the first number 5, relates to number of studs, the 2nd number is the measurement size of those studs going round thru middle of each hole. so just measure your wheel and find measurement of wheel after.
if poss for your mates wheels best bet is to try 1.
google alloy wheel fitting and companies will explain far better than my mumbo jumbo but hope might help slightly
Excellent thanks, now i know what to look for :D

aaudi4
24-01-2011, 11:32 PM
good luck. you must be a genius to understand that, even i was confused when i read back to myself.

kodkod.84
25-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Mac

I have two sets of OEM Audi alloys- both are 5x112mm PCD and an offset of ET45.

James05
25-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Also the smaller the number the further out they stick - eg, my 18's are ET43 offset.

ET48 will fit at the back but will not fit over the front calipers.... don't ask me how I know this :(

I *think* I've seen mention of ET35 but I've no idea how much further out they would stick or whether they would fit your vehicle.

James

Macdoon
25-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Had my wheels off this morning and they are ET43, I've heard there is a tolerence level of around 4-7mm, is this correct?

Mac

James05
25-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Had my wheels off this morning and they are ET43, I've heard there is a tolerence level of around 4-7mm, is this correct?

Mac

From my experience the 4-7mm sounds about right - the ET48 fitted on the front and torqued up ok, but will foul on the caliper when you attempt to spin the wheel around.

James

Macdoon
25-01-2011, 08:38 PM
From my experience the 4-7mm sounds about right - the ET48 fitted on the front and torqued up ok, but will foul on the caliper when you attempt to spin the wheel around.

James

Thanks James
Are you saying on full lock they will catch, how did they look on the back.

Mac

James05
26-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks James
Are you saying on full lock they will catch, how did they look on the back.

Mac

No.

I guess when I unknowingly put the ET48 on the front, the bottom of the caliper lined up with one of the gaps between the spokes.
So I then popped the wheel bolts in, torqued them up and then discovered that I couldn't spin the wheel around as the edge of the spoke fouled on the bottom of the caliper.
As the back caliper is smaller there was no problem with fitting.
To be honest I reckon you would be hard pressed to notice the difference...

ET43 fit perfectly and are what were fitted on my car as standard.

Hope that helps ?

James

Macdoon
26-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Gutted my mates wheels are ET48:(