PDA

View Full Version : Brake Bomb ????

tut_gareth
28-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi people

What is this so called brake bomb that i keep hearing about???

and will my 96 tdi A6 have one? :Blush:

Cheers

s6sputnik
01-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Don't know if your car has one, but if your brake pedal feels great and you don't have a light flashing at you from time to time don't worry about it!

Peter D
02-07-2007, 10:49 AM
I am not sure what you are referring to but there was a period where the rear caliper hydrualic banjo fiiing were fitted with no copper washer and ir relied on a machined annular ring on the banjo to seal agains the caliper. This corrodes and starts to leak with the resulting fluid loss a potention brake failure. A6 1998 had this problem yet never recalled. Regards Peter

tut_gareth
02-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Its a brake pressure accumulator or something....... i'm led to believe,
a guy at work mentioned that he had to have one replaced on a 1993 audi 100 but he does'nt know too much about cars and is going by what he was told by a garage.
My A6 is the same shape so i presume it may have one too.

He told me that a good test is with the engine switched off you should be able to pump the brake pedal 10 to 15 times bofore it goes hard. i can only get 4-7 pumps on mine.

So i'm curious to what and where it is and if it needs replacing as i like to have brakes that work generally.

Peter D
02-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Yes it appears you do have one on the TDi A6.

Email me at Info@3DAssociates.co.uk and I'll send you the page.

Regards
Peter

Peter D
02-07-2007, 11:48 AM
This was fitted on cars that had a hydrualic servo not a vacuum servo and the reservoir pressure 'As new charge pressure: 73-77 bar at 20o C.' and a 'Minimum charge pressure: 30 bar at 20o C.' These were fitted to petrol and TD models. The reservoir has a Diaphragm in it and a heafty spring and uses the steering pump HP output to drive the other side. If this fails you loose servo assistance but non assisted braking remains. Regards Peter

tut_gareth
03-07-2007, 07:48 AM
cheer for that peter, email sent.

i do think he pedal feels quite heavy so it may be time for a new one. any ideas on how much these things cost?

cheers