PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Some Advice, A4 3.2 or S4

beedie
23-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Hi,
I'm hoping to upgrade my car from a Octavia VRS, and wanting to keep a similar size and space with a pickup in performance and get an automatic at the same time.
Looking for some advice on whether i should be looking to buy a B7 3.2 v6 A4 and then have the possibillity of tuning it (thinking a turbo conversion) or whether i should get a B7 S4 and leave it standard
obviosly the 3.2 would be cheaper initially and i may find i'm happy with the performance of it for now (until i've saved a buck more)
but the s4 would have the "out the box" performance i'm after for slightly more initial outlay.
Cost of A4 is roughly £12000 and conversion in the region of £10000
S4 would set me back about £17000.
The V8 engine would also be heavier on fuel but I'd love the noise.
A4 v6 would have a bit of noise but would be cheaper to run and also lighter (thinking handling)

Any advice much appreciated

Scott:1zhelp:

jdp1962
23-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Have you considered a 3.0TDi V6? It's a Quattro, and if you get a TDV version (mid-2005 onwards, I think), it has 230 bhp in standard trim, with more than 330 lb/ft of torque. It's also easily chippable up to about 275 bhp.

It is a hugely lazy car to drive very fast - due to all the torque - and will use a lot less fuel than either a 3.2 or an S4.

darich
23-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Personally I don't know why anyone would spend £12k on a car and almost the same again on modifications....but hey.....if everyone like the same thing it would be a boring world!!

Must it be a V6 or V8?
Have you tried the 2.0TFsi with a remap? I have the quattro version and with a remap I've gone from 216bhp up to around 255bhp with torque increasing from 300Nm to around 380Nm.
My car is pretty dam quick and I'm fairly certain would be quicker than a VRS....obviously unmodded.
I can also return 34mpg over a tank on my daily commute.
I suspect the V6 as standard may be slightly worse but add a turbo and I'd expect that to drop considerably.
The S4, in the real world, will probably return slightly better than half what I get.

Sure the S4 is a great car and sounds awesome......but my mate has one and in a blast with my other mate driving a 330d there wasn't a lot in it performance wise. Obviously the S4 was quicker but the 330d is no slouch so it wasn't like the S4 pulled several car lengths in a short time.

beedie
24-01-2011, 01:29 AM
I have considered the 3.0 TDI but have all but turned it down in favour of a bigger rev band and better driveability (personal feeling) I had a Fabia VRS which was diesel and stuck with derv for the octavia but just dont do the milage i expected when i bought it (currently on about 4000mile a year)
Dont think the 2.0TFSI would be enough of a step up for me and i'd get bored too quickly. And not too scared of the mpg as worst case senario i'd be spending £1200 on fuel a year with the amount i drive.
Looking for which would be most fun for the limited time i spend behind the wheel.
Thanks for the input does make me think.
Just a thought but is there any cheaper ways to upgrade the 3.2 as turbo'd cars can be remapped adding good bang for buck but not as worth while with this engine.

m3gt2
24-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Do you really need auto? I'd get a RS4!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Andy S4
24-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I've got an S4 avant and it's awesome! Haven't driven any of the others so can't comment on them. Turned down an RS4 purely on ride comfort as I have a nipper to put in the back occasionally. What you've got to ask yourself is - If you get the V6 - will you always wish you'd gone for the V8??? Sorry I can't be more objective.

darich
24-01-2011, 04:52 PM
The more powerful your car then the less of a difference you'll notice compared to others.
By that I mean , an S4 may well have 344bhp or thereabouts.....and mine 255bhp.....but the S4 wouldn't pull as fast from me as I would from a car with 166bhp.
Difference between both pairs (s4 and me, and me and an other) is the same but with the more powerful pair, the difference is smaller.
That's why the S4 doesn't blow the 330d out the park.
Extreme case - which is faster between these two pairs....600bhp sports car v 510bhp sports car.........obviously the 600bhp but probably not by much.
Another pair - 190 bhp v 100bhp .....probably the 190...but almost definitely by a bigger margin than the first pair.

I've had my car remapped for around a year...maybe more...and I'm still amazed at how quick it is at times.

I see you're Aberdeen - planning on being in central belt anytime soon and I could meet up with you?
Or any other members in Aberdeen?
Just a thought. :)

allanmb
24-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi,
I'm hoping to upgrade my car from a Octavia VRS, and wanting to keep a similar size and space with a pickup in performance and get an automatic at the same time.
Looking for some advice on whether i should be looking to buy a B7 3.2 v6 A4 and then have the possibillity of tuning it (thinking a turbo conversion) or whether i should get a B7 S4 and leave it standard
obviosly the 3.2 would be cheaper initially and i may find i'm happy with the performance of it for now (until i've saved a buck more)
but the s4 would have the "out the box" performance i'm after for slightly more initial outlay.
Cost of A4 is roughly £12000 and conversion in the region of £10000
S4 would set me back about £17000.
The V8 engine would also be heavier on fuel but I'd love the noise.
A4 v6 would have a bit of noise but would be cheaper to run and also lighter (thinking handling)

Any advice much appreciated

Scott:1zhelp:

What conversion have you seen for the 3.2? I could be tempted :D

beedie
25-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Do you really need auto? I'd get a RS4!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
WHY!!! I'd love to just couldn't justify it to myself. Don't put the thought in my head

If you get the V6 - will you always wish you'd gone for the V8??? Sorry I can't be more objective.
Thats kinda why I'm asking is the V8 or the V6 the better to live with and drive?
Don't know if i'd always wish but i'd wonder.

What conversion have you seen for the 3.2? I could be tempted :D
Theres quite a few options I'm sure these guys could do Something with it.
http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/news/40/the-new-jbs-mk5-r32-ts-turbo-kit-series
If you just want to sell me your car though i'd quite understand. It ticks most boxes I'm after

m3gt2
25-01-2011, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=beedie;605639]WHY!!! I'd love to just couldn't justify it to myself. Don't put the thought in my head

Just thought if you were willing to spend 12k for a v6 and 10k for a turbo conversion you are nearly at RS4 prices and you will find it harder to insure the v6, also it will be much harder to sell on in the future and will only be worth a little more than a standard v6 at best so overall I would think the RS4 would be cheaper than the v6? Whatever you decide on I bet you will love it :beerchug:

aussiejock
25-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Bear in mind that the V6's they tune are not the same as what's fitted to B7's!

I was looking at RS4's at xmas but with fuel being what it is, im now waiting out for the car prices to drop!!
3.2 is a good enough engine though, great pick up and quattro is a must!

Dont expect to get much above 30 mpg on a motorway at legal speeds.

beedie
25-01-2011, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=beedie;605639]WHY!!! I'd love to just couldn't justify it to myself. Don't put the thought in my head

Just thought if you were willing to spend 12k for a v6 and 10k for a turbo conversion you are nearly at RS4 prices and you will find it harder to insure the v6, also it will be much harder to sell on in the future and will only be worth a little more than a standard v6 at best so overall I would think the RS4 would be cheaper than the v6? Whatever you decide on I bet you will love it :beerchug:
Thats kinda what I'm after, some sence and clarity in my head. Kinda makes me think an S4 would be the way to go. And if I save enough before i find the right car then RS may appear on my shopping list.

beedie
25-01-2011, 11:37 AM
This seem too good to be true to anyone else?
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2416797.htm

jdp1962
25-01-2011, 12:02 PM
This seem too good to be true to anyone else?
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2416797.htm

If something seems too good to be true, it probably isn't. If you do explore further, proceed with extreme caution.