PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to bring the front fogs on with main beam?

Zafi
22-01-2011, 11:53 PM
I dont drive around with my front fogs on all the time and was wondering if its possible to VAG COM them to come on with main beam??

ScottyUK
23-01-2011, 12:09 AM
You can tweak with VCDS so that the fogs can be operated with main beam but I'm not aware of anything where they're off until you flip on the mains....if that's what you mean?

Zafi
23-01-2011, 11:49 AM
You can tweak with VCDS so that the fogs can be operated with main beam but I'm not aware of anything where they're off until you flip on the mains....if that's what you mean?

Thanks, Scotty......

I would like to drive along with the fogs switched off, but when I put main beam on the fogs come on. Not botherered either way if they come on when i flash someone, its when i am on a country road I could do with more light when the main beam is selected ;)

But if I used the normal foglamp switch I also want the front fogs to come on as normal, regardless of dip/main

Cheers

ScottyUK
23-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Sounds very doubtful to me.

I think it's quite clever that you can even overule the "no fogs with mains" rule as to be quite honest I don't see why you ever would need to.

The fogs add very little to my dipped Xenons and increasing the low down light when you're on main beam I just don't get.

What's the advantage/situation? There must be something I'm missing otherwise you wouldn't want to do it. :confused:

PHPsauce
23-01-2011, 11:59 AM
What's the advantage/situation? There must be something I'm missing otherwise you wouldn't want to do it. :confused:

It looks cool to the on coming drivers you are blinding. :drive: :aargh4: :cussing:

Zafi
23-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I dont have xenons :( I do miss the roadsigns lighting up from 500m away when I had them :(

I have hardwired the fogs to come on with main beam in the past and with them adjusted up it adds light to define the edge of the road.

But you cant hardwire as the output from the switch is just a momentary signal to CanBus.

Half of my journeys are on narrow B roads, its just handy to have a bit more light.

.................... and it means I can give a brighter flash to the morons who drive around everywhere with their front fogs on. ;)

Zafi
23-01-2011, 09:16 PM
It looks cool to the on coming drivers you are blinding. :drive: :aargh4: :cussing:

Personally I dip my lights when I see oncoming drivers ............

SC03OTT
23-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure how much of an advantage this will be, given that fogs light up the road about 5ft in front of you...As that's what they are designed to do.

Maybe it does help though. I never used them on my last car unless I wanted the rear fogs on, as you could only get them on if you turned the fronts on as well. And even when they were on, I found them nigh on useless. I kinda get the impression they are more of a fashion accessory these days, rather than actually having any real function.

legendamongus
24-01-2011, 01:11 AM
I really don't see the point of using front fogs to illuminate the road, as they just aren't designed to do it. They illuminate the road about 3 feet in front of you, and at normal speeds by the time you notice any sort of hazard in that distance you'll have hit it.

I conducted a simple experiment once, after encountering loads of people driving with side lights and fogs on one evening. I tried to drive into my garage using these lights only.
The result? I hit a vacuum cleaner. Conclusion? Fog lights are useless unless it's actually foggy.

Seriously, it's just not worth the brainache to make this work.

kenney
24-01-2011, 09:36 AM
In Scandinavia it is forbidden to use fog lights,combined with the main beam,even with dipped beam and no fog,you will be fined,if stopped by the police

ScottyUK
24-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I conducted a simple experiment once, after encountering loads of people driving with side lights and fogs on one evening. I tried to drive into my garage using these lights only.

:beerchug:

I did the same. The last 3/4 mile home I normally don't see any cars so I turned on the fogs and turned the Xenons off.

The LED sidelights gave a glow and the fogs lit up whatever was directly in front of me (maybe 10-15ft in advance of the car ).

It reinforced my mindset that people driving or sides and flogs are ... ahem ... silly!

To be fair to the OP I know that's not what he's trying to do. There's actually no risk to anyone else in what he's doing as his mainbeam wouldn't be on if people were coming at him and he'd just trying to maximise the amount of light he can get.

I think he'd be better off getting some upgraded bulbs instead.

rd1
24-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Zafi,
what you are trying to do seems an excellent idea to me, anything that gives you more light in front has got to be good. I also think that you are being responsible in that the fogs only come on with main beam and then off when going to dip!
just cant see why people think that will blind anyone coming towards you. Go for it and let those of us that agree with you know how you get on.

kenney
24-01-2011, 08:40 PM
central electronics Byte 17 Bit 5 Front Fog Lights deactivated with High Beam

legendamongus
24-01-2011, 11:42 PM
just cant see why people think that will blind anyone coming towards you.
It's because dipped lights are angled slightly over to the kerb to prevent blinding oncoming traffic - that's why you need those stick-on beam adjuster things if you want to drive in Europe. It's also why you can't just buy LHD headlights and fit them to your RHD car (have a feeling this is an MOT fail but not sure). Fog lights are directed straight ahead, so therefore right at oncoming traffic.

OP, I realise that it appears like I'm having a bit of a go, but that is not my intention, honest! I know that what you are suggesting would only be used when there is no traffic to be blinded. Sorry if I've come across a bit strong.

People who use foglights when it's not foggy are one of the few things that really annoy me on the road though... nothing personal to the OP.

Zafi
25-01-2011, 01:49 AM
I absolutely detest the idiots that drive around with their front fogs on all the time. They cause glare and blind oncoming traffic.

My intention is to only use the fogs when main beam is on (unless its really foggy AND I am not behind someone, in which case I will use them with dipped beam).

I will adjust them so they shine a bit further down the road, this will not be a big deal as no-one else will be coming the other way......!!

FFS cant you lot grasp that? :confused:

Thanks to the few who can, thanks to kenney for mentioning byte 17 bit 5, but thats the opposite logic to what I am trying to achieve
i.e. stock setup is when fogs are ON, main turns them off

I am looking for when fogs are off, main beam switches them on in addition to their normal function

So come on, Vag Com brains, work it out, please ;):1zhelp: