PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16v Bora - Any Advice?

Shipz
28-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Hey ppl

I've got a 1.6 16v Bora.

Any ideas of anything i can do to improve power as well as fuel efficiency...

I seem to feel that my fuel efficiency has gone down....its either this or my crazy driving!

Any advice appreciated!

Graemedench
18-07-2007, 08:07 AM
HI

I've got one of these too. I've seen me get 53mpg average on a trip but sometimes on the way to work Ive got less than 10mpg.

I've fitted an induction Kit. I'm thinking next plan for me is a powerboost valve, get back a bit of the acceleration since I fitted my 18" wheels. then not sure dunoo if it's worth getting maped? and maybe supercharger?

I'm quite happy with the top speed, Got 136mph flat out with the limiter in 5th. Just wanna get there a bit quicker too.
G

Space Cadet
18-07-2007, 08:58 AM
My advice would be to leave it alone and just enjoy the car as it is, with all due respect it’s a 1.6l in a not too-light chassis, so just save your money until you can afford to upgrade to a bigger engined car.

The most you are going to get by exhausts and re-maps etc might be 10-15 bhp and you will have messed around with the car and will likely have more trouble selling it when you come to move on.

To get serious power increases out of a 1.6l you have to put wild cams in, which I’ve done in the past to a Saxo VTS which then became almost undrivable, or by fitting a turbo both of which are stupid in a ‘family car’.

To sort out the fuel economy and perhaps restore a few bhp try running it on Shell V-Power, it’ll clean out the engine, restore any missing bhp and mpg. If the car’s done a few miles why not put a new air filter in, I always rave about Pipercross.

(Definitely don’t put an induction kit on – you’ll be loosing power rather than gaining it)

Sam
18-07-2007, 09:24 AM
The man above me speaks the truth.

Fizzbitt
18-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Your 18" rims wont be doing your mpg any good at all as im sure they will be heavy.

Has your car had a recent service? Cars which are in need of a service will find economy down due to the lubrication (or lack off) in the engine so its having to work harder and burn more fuel to get the same results.

As stated above... no point in trying to gain extra bhp from a 1.6 bud. You really wont notice any real change in the power department.

Also if you have a induction kit on that will just suck in the hot air from the engine bay and in turn REDUCE your power. I would suggest getting the standard filter back on and use an after market panel filter if you really want one.

Hope that helps...

bora(ing) nick
18-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Hey ppl

I've got a 1.6 16v Bora.

Any ideas of anything i can do to improve power as well as fuel efficiency...

Any advice appreciated!

Sell it and buy a diesel!

Mine is a 1.9tdi pd 100, and also got 18" rs8 alloys on it.

I regularly get 50mpg without driving like a granny.

The only thing i dont like about it is that i only have 5 gears....

I'd lose a limb sometimes if i could just bang it in 6th when motorway driving.

Nick

Fizzbitt
18-07-2007, 11:04 AM
i got the 6 speed 115bhp bora.. ;) lol

tiss my first 6 speed car and it takes a bit of getting used to.. keep forgetting i have it.. lol

bora(ing) nick
18-07-2007, 11:10 AM
i got the 6 speed 115bhp bora.. ;) lol

Well mines getting a remap at the end of the month, ner ner na ner ner, lol :beerchug:

Slightly off topic but it goes from 100bhp (177lb/ft torque) upto 145bhp (257lb/ft torque)

Worth doing IMHO.

Nick

Fizzbitt
18-07-2007, 11:13 AM
All in good time my friend... See Shipz... just get a 1.9TDi soot chucker as it will be quicker in standard form anyway... then add a remap costing circa £275 for an exta 30bhp and 50 odd torque. :)

p.s) like the way i brought this back on topic.. ;) lol

Graemedench
18-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I hear what your saying guys on the induction kit but simply not true. (at leaste not on mine)

I've seen in general a 2-3mpg increase since fitting it and its lessend the dead spots I had around the 3500 rpm range. I didn't buy an off the shelf kit though. I bought a K&N Cone and some ducting. it runs from the front of the bumper to right infront of the filter. The stock filter system isn't that clever really its big, Black and sits right o top of the engine. if thats not a recipe for picking up excess heat I'm not sure what is.

Its done 50K* it's the 105bhp and gets all it services infact its just due it's first MOT in the next few weeks.

Had a few problems with disc's warping alot and pads wearing out but now running on Black Dimond drilled and grooved with matching pads and all seems good sofar. Going for braided hoses and denser fluid soon.

It maybe no real rocket but it can see off my GF's 2.0L sport Megan

PS gearing seems stupid on all VW's both the polo i had b4 and the bora can do 25MPH happy fully of people in 5th sure it's not quick at pulling away in that but, it will. 5th should really be higher. how many other standard cars do you know that will hit the limiter in top gear ?