PDA

View Full Version : MDI Firmware Upgrade

Keithuk
19-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi guys/gals.

Now for the first 4-5 months of having my car I put 283 mp3's on a 2GB flash drive in my RCD310 with different groups in different folders. I made a playlist in WMP all random and it worked great. After this time I noticed that the tracks weren't very random even though the random option was selected, in fact it appeared to only play in one sub folder. I formatted the drive and reloaded but still only played one folder. I moved all files into the drives root and deleted the folders and the playlist now it plays as it used to randomly. I don't know why it changed after 5 months.

I found a Volkswagen Media Device Interface (MDI) Firmware Upgrade 0111 KW22-2010 (http://www.my-gti.com/2491/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-0111-kw22-2010), considering this is a firmware update after week 22/2010 I think I may give it a go to see if it cures my problem.

I'm not sure what it means on the site?

VW MDI KW22/2010 Firmware (http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/fileadmin/pdf/media_in/mdi.bin.enc) (primary download site – this will have the latest if there are any updates so if you want a specific version use the link below)

VW MDI KW22-2010 Firmware (http://www.my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/mdi.bin.kw22-2010.enc)
(This file needs to be renamed from mdi.bin.kw22-2010.enc to mdi.bin.enc. You may not see the .enc extension so this is nothing to worry about – just remove the version number “.kw22-2010″ and proceed with the update)
Now both downloads are the same date but the first one has the latest updates but the second has specific versions. I does give the error codes if the version is older then installed.

Does anyone else have MDI problems? Your thoughts are welcome.

I've said this before this is a useful site to have in your favourites for tricks & tips. ;)

Cheers.

AxeMurderer
19-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I applied the latest version of that just before Christmas. I don't know what it fixed, if anything, but it certainly did no harm.

Keithuk
19-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Which one did you install the newest version or the previous ones?

So it installed ok without any errors?

So you didn't have any problems similar to mine before the upgrade?

AxeMurderer
19-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I installed whatever was the latest version as of mid-December (version 0111 according to what is still on the USB stick I used).

Installation was trivial, with no errors.

I hadn't really played with MDI all that much, apart from being fairly unimpressed with using an iPod via the RCD310. I upgraded that to an RNS510 at about the same time so I can't really compare before and after.

Keithuk
22-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I've put the latest update in I rebuilt the flash drive with the sub folders and it still plays every track in the first folder (BOSTON) so this update has done sweet FA. :zx11:

I've put all tracks back on the root and it plays random again.

Keithuk
08-02-2011, 07:17 PM
I took it in for its first service today and asked them to look at what it only plays one folder on the flash drive. After the service I went out with the technician so I could explain what doesn't happen. Now it appears there are three play options, play, random folder and random mix. It was on random mix and it was playing different tracks like it used too. He said when he first tried it it was on random folder so it was playing random tracks in that folder.

Well its been 12 months since I first read the handbook and I'm sure I set it to random mix I can't remember changing buttons since once things are working properly I leave them along. So this was my fault really for not reading the handbook again its now working as it used too.

I was reading somewhere that a user updated his firmware to the latest and when he took it into the dealers for something else they must have noticed now he says is warranty is void for doing his own updates. Well they didn't say anything to me. ;)

percymon
09-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Ok dumb question, but how do you apply the update - is it a case of downloading it to a CD, inserting it and following some messgaes on the headunit ?

AxeMurderer
09-02-2011, 12:57 PM
You download it to a USB stick and plug that into the MDI.

percymon
09-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Even i can manage that (i think! )

Keithuk
09-02-2011, 01:23 PM
As AM says you download it and put it on a blank USB flash drive. When you plug it in the lead and switch is on initialising/updating or what ever just leave it a few minutes job done.

Why have you got a problem with yours David?

percymon
09-02-2011, 03:25 PM
No problem that i'm aware of, but ran it at lunchtime and it updated whatever was installed

Can't do any harm to have the latest version, and took less time and effort than ringing the service department lol!

terrytg41
27-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Keithuk
19-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi guys/gals.

Now for the first 4-5 months of having my car I put 283 mp3's on a 2GB flash drive in my RCD310 with different groups in different folders. I made a playlist in WMP all random and it worked great. After this time I noticed that the tracks weren't very random even though the random option was selected, in fact it appeared to only play in one sub folder. I formatted the drive and reloaded but still only played one folder. I moved all files into the drives root and deleted the folders and the playlist now it plays as it used to randomly. I don't know why it changed after 5 months.

I found a Volkswagen Media Device Interface (MDI) Firmware Upgrade 0111 KW22-2010 (http://www.my-gti.com/2491/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-0111-kw22-2010), considering this is a firmware update after week 22/2010 I think I may give it a go to see if it cures my problem.

I'm not sure what it means on the site?

VW MDI KW22/2010 Firmware (http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/fileadmin/pdf/media_in/mdi.bin.enc) (primary download site – this will have the latest if there are any updates so if you want a specific version use the link below)

VW MDI KW22-2010 Firmware (http://www.my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/mdi.bin.kw22-2010.enc)
(This file needs to be renamed from mdi.bin.kw22-2010.enc to mdi.bin.enc. You may not see the .enc extension so this is nothing to worry about – just remove the version number “.kw22-2010″ and proceed with the update)
Now both downloads are the same date but the first one has the latest updates but the second has specific versions. I does give the error codes if the version is older then installed.

Does anyone else have MDI problems? Your thoughts are welcome.

I've said this before this is a useful site to have in your favourites for tricks & tips. ;)

Cheers.

Yes I managed to update mine (is over a year old now, built Jan 2010), despite when I asked them at my VW dealer during first service they said there was no update.
............ not unexpected. See underlined in italics above, as long as your vehicle is pre week 22 / 2010 it should (?) update