PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking a mk3 turbo diesel 'Umwelt'...anyone ever done it?

vanorak
28-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Just bought an early Turbo Diesel Golf Estate CL (1994 on an M...not a TDi) and was wondering if anyone has ever tweaked one? If so, what's the best route to take? I'm not sure if chipping is an option, or whether an intercooler could be fitted? To be honest, I know jack sh*t about diesels, other than the basics (as you can probably tell from my post). Anyway, any suggestions gratefully received, provided it won't cost me an arm and a leg...Thanks, Vanorak:1zhelp:

adamss24
28-06-2007, 08:05 AM
You cannot do a remap on an old indirect injection TD as there is no electronic control on the pump, all is mechanical. If you do a search on www.tdiclub.com, you will find that manny yankees have modded the old 1.6 TD lumps by fitting intercoolers( up to 15 Bhp increase) and changing the nozzles + upgrading the turbocharger( hybrid ones !) and tinkering with the mechanical pumps. They even go to such extent that use diesel pumps intended for automatic cars, because these have a bigger plunger(11mm) so can inject more fuel as the manual ones(10mm) in the same period of time. So more fuel, bigger turbocharger, colder and denser air = waaaay more power ! Hope this helps.

vanorak
28-06-2007, 11:41 AM
thanks for the speedy reply...and there was I thinking nobody would've been ***** to upgrade the old umwelt, unless it involved retractable pipe cooling racks and slipper storage solutions...