PDA

View Full Version : Can a magnet harm my RNS-E??

dredgey
18-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Bit of an odd one this... but I'm considering attaching a magnet to the back of one the blanking buttons (pictured) so that I can effectively use the blanking button to hold my mobile phone.

Firstly, would a magnet harm my RNS-E or any of the electricals close by?

If the answer is no to the above, how do I remove the blanking button; is it a simple flathead screwdriver job - I don't want to mangle my dash!

Cheers!

phil miller
18-01-2011, 07:27 PM
there is a chance yes, but then i would have thought it would effect the mobile more as it will be closer to it, have you thought about a BRODIT clip for your car and phone?

gblades
18-01-2011, 07:49 PM
No it wont effect it from that distance. However putting a magnet on the back of the button wont work. The distance between the magnet and the metal it is holding will be too great and so the strength of the grip will be too poor.
You could drill a hole in the button and mount the magnet flush with the front space.

RMH1
18-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Be careful if your phone has satnav as mine does , the magnet will send the in built gps mental as I found out once . :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

darich
18-01-2011, 08:42 PM
If the magnet is strong enough to hold a phone, then it's probably strong enough to affect the sd cards.

I'd advise against it....magnets and electronics generally don't mix well.

phil miller
18-01-2011, 09:08 PM
If the magnet is strong enough to hold a phone, then it's probably strong enough to affect the sd cards.

that was my thoughts aswell

gblades
18-01-2011, 10:46 PM

A fixed magnet wont affect a SD card. You need a moving magnetic field to induce current in anything.

dredgey
19-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the prompt replies. If there's any slight theory that it could damage anything (even long term) then its not worth the risk for what is probably a naff idea anyway.

I'd seen some rubberised magnetics that you stick to you dash for the same purpose which I like the idea of but don't like the look of them. Not keen on having a cumbersom bracket either.... Just wish the the phone option/bluetooth had been installed alongside the RNS-E!