PDA

View Full Version : jet engine" sound coming from under the car

guyver
09-04-2006, 12:19 AM
"Jet Engine" sound from under the car
i have a sharan 52 reg tdi

i have bought my car recently and i keep hearing a "jet engine" sound coming from under the car. The "Jet Engine" sound remain even after the car is already wormed up i dont know how long it last but as soon as i stop the car i can still hear it for another 1-2 minutes it very annoying, so i went to the dealer in birmingham i have told them about it and they just simply said it's fine and the car is just trying to warm up in the winter, they did ask me if there is a somke coming out from under the car and i have told them just a little.

but i feel this is not normal and it would be great if some one here could advice.

ndeakin
19-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi,
I bought my Sharan TDI 130 Sport last October and have had the same experience.
Diesels are very efficient and take time to warm up so there is an auxhillary heater underneath the near side which is designed to trip in when the temp is below about 8c. It does whine like a jet engine (worried the hell out of me the first time I heard it) and I too was told it was quite normal (incidentally by VW in Birmingham).
The only time to worry is if it smokes. This indicates that the glow plug is faulty and needs replacing. Quite common apparantly.
Hope this reassures you.

guyver
22-04-2006, 12:37 AM
thanx i feel much better now:D