PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new but I need some advice!

GLM1975
27-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Hello I'm new.

I was wondering if anyone can help. I have a new 3.0 TDI Altitude.
I got a blow out on the front and rear passenger side this morning (pouring rain, slip road, 7 months pregnant, you can imagine my response!) I was lucky I wasn't going very fast. Two hours later me and the car made it to the dealership on a flat bed and they have no told me they believe the front one was caused by an impact but seem unclear on this and also what caused the rear to puncture, a split in the tyre wall they think?
My concern is: it is a brand new car, I've only had it 2 months and i've done 3,200 miles. I don't recall hitting anything and when the RAC came there was no debris on the road so if I did hit something it can only haved been a something very small, surely this "tough" offroader can cope with a pebble at 30mph? I have heard of potential tyre probs on Touaregs. I have had to pay over £500 for two new tyres and I still need to get the alloy repaired (apparently) but this isn't the main worry, I have no faith in the other two tyres. VW are sending the tyres to Pirelli to have them looked at but will they admit if there is a weakness?
Sorry for the long post but I have never had a blow out on any car, young or old, let alone a 2 month old 4x4.
Has anyone had any experience? Thanks very much for your help

SLEACH
27-06-2007, 11:13 PM
HI AND WELCOME.

Sorry to here of your misfortune. I am in the tyre industry and can't say as I have heard of any major problems with either Touareg, Cayenne or Q7. Pirelli are not exactly the first to admit fault but you do not have to take their word for it. In about four to six weeks you will receive a letter stating the outcome of their examination. You have the right to an independent examination. The only slight downfall is that you now have to collect or arrange collection of the tyres where previously they used to return them to tou or your dealer. Were the tyres the runflat type?

MasterMickVW
27-06-2007, 11:21 PM
The only issues i've come across are tyre wear problems and these are more or less resolved now on newer models.It sounds possible that you have hit something poss debris or kerb?It's sound like a bit of expensive bad luck!!£500+ for two tyres sounds a bit steep.Anyway hope you get sorted and regain your faith in the Touareg.

GLM1975
27-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi

Thanks for replying, that's useful information. In the long run I obviously hope that it is just one of those things, as I don't want a crusade and I just want to feel confident in the car.

They aren't run flats.

I'm just a bit lost as to how its happened, did the stress of one flat cause the other to go? Is it a weakness or just bad luck? As I said I do not recall hitting anything, no bumps or bangs, no debris on the road - I didn't go over a pot hole and so if I did go over something it must have been very small and I would expect an off roader to cope better.

Gaynor

SLEACH
27-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Dont forget it was with a dealer and if its on 20" rims I would think thats what a dealer would be charging:beerchug:

GLM1975
27-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi Mick

Do you think that sounds too much? VW dealership quoted me £517 for the two new tyres and said it was their best price! Wonder if that includes vat, fitting etc as I was to busy seething to ask!

GLM1975
27-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Yep they are 20 inch rims, dont fancy going back to the dealer avery few months for new shoes!

Its such a shame because I love the car, everything about it. I had a BMW but had to sell it when I found out I was expecting and it took me ages to pick a new car. I also had a problem with an A/C pipe which soaked my carpets in the passenger footwell two days after I got it :zx11:

Gaynor

MasterMickVW
27-06-2007, 11:37 PM
I know we charge £150ish+VAT for the 19's,but can't speak for other dealers.Is it a possibility to go through your insurance??You'll just have excess to pay..Am assuming you have protected NCB.

mluton
27-06-2007, 11:38 PM
You will pay extra ££££££££££ having them from a dealer.

A quote from black circles, your looking at £150 a piece. I had to guess at the size (235/65/R17) but worth a quote.
www.blackcirlces.com

I know its a pain getting the car to another garage, but you might be looking at half the price, even somewhere local to yourselves.

Or even try a mobile fitter.

SLEACH
27-06-2007, 11:40 PM
:approve: Pirelli 275/40r20 106y x/l you should be expecting to pay no more than 230.00 + vat fitted and balanced hope this helps

mluton
27-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Ok quoted on 275/35/r20 your looking at £200+ so dealers price isnt to bad.

Hankook K 104
275/35 R20 Y £231.29

Pirelli Pzero Rosso
275/35 R20 Z £240.75

Big Rims, Nice.

GLM1975
27-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and get quotes, much appreciated and I will speak with my insurance company tomorrow to see if I can get anything that way.

VW have the car and are fitting the tyres in the morning but I think I will get some more quotes/mobile fitter quotes as ammo!

Thanks again.:beerchug:

Gaynor