PDA

View Full Version : 1997 A3 1.6 wont connect

jinjur
18-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Hey,

Tried to connect my brothers A3 to my old vag-com tonight but it would connect....

From what i can remember was very easy to do but this just, well....wouldnt.

FYI its a shareware version and all I want to do at the minute is check for codes relating to the engine idling at 2000rpm after a throttle body clean with carb spray.

If it connects he will stump up the cost for a license to to a Throttle Body Alignment or take it to an authorized mech.

Any ideas?

I also am unsure of the engine code, its a 1997 1.6 is all i know. Where would i find the engine code on the car?

Thanks
Andy

bearthebruce
18-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Aftermarket Radio? These can hang the diagnostic communications bus. There is a page on the Ross-Tech web site dealing with the issue: Aftermarket Radio Problem - Ross-Tech: Home (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html)

If that is not the problem, did you have power at the DLC? You need power to run the tool. There is a fuse for the diagnostic connector.

If that is not the issue, then perhaps a module in the car has hung the diagnostic comms. To find that may require unplugging modules or or at least removing the fuse for the module.

Did you test your VAG-COM setup on another car to be sure it's working properly?

jinjur
18-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply.

Radio is standard fit as far as i can see, yep....its in the owners manual.

Will check the fuse for the power connector, any idea where that is?

I only have a Renault as another car so cant test it on that, i dont think?

Andy

bearthebruce
18-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Sorry, I don't docs for the UK spec car - maybe one of our techs would know and I will ask when I get a chance.

As for testing on the Renault, no - I don't think that will help. You need to test your setup on another VW/Audi to see if it works with one. Non-communication is a common problem with many of the wires out there.

What happens when you go to [Options][Test]? Does it run? Does it say that VCDS-Lite is communicating? If not, the problem could be in your wire or the setup on the PC.

jinjur
18-01-2011, 05:31 PM
ill try tonight Bruce...

Thanks
Andy

Dana@Ross-Tech
19-01-2011, 05:39 AM
See if pin 16 has power:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/images/DLC.png

If you have power there, the fuse should be okay.

wessex84
19-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Helo mate just had the same problem. which version of vagcom are you using? if you are using a new laptop you will have to set up the ports to allow you to use it also you need to check that you have drivers installed for the cable.