PDA

View Full Version : Could I possibly have the most faults with any one car on this forum? Please help!!

bigman121
17-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

I've got a 97-98 passat 1.8 20v SE Sport, the base model (less to go wrong, or so I thought!).

I've got several problems with the electrics. I hope someone can help?

The problems are thus:-

1.When I got the car as a cheap run around for work 2years ago, the remote cental locking didn't work, I replaced the battery, but still nothing, not even the little red light on the key fashes or anything? could this be because the battery has been flat for so long that the key has lost its coding? I only have one key for it, do I need a master key to get it re-coded?, if that is the problem?

2. As the remote locking isn't working, I just unlock the car via the drivers door lock, however, I now have several problems with this. Firstly, the key will unlock all the doors, but only lock the drivers door? I have checked the lock barrel paddle thing that normally breaks, but thats all fine and dandy. So the only way to lock the car is via the boot lock (which also unlocks the car too!). What could be causing this problem?

3. I also have issues with the front passenger door, which are as follows;-

A.When you use the key in the passenger door, it only unlocks that door? (is that how it should be?).
B.Also, when you open the door, neither the interior light or puddle light comes on?
C.Also, when you press the door lock button on the drivers door to lock all doors from the inside, they all lock, except the front passenger door, the pin goes down then pops back up?
The electric window and speakers all work fine as they should, so its just the problem of the locks and lights?

4. When the car is locked, the little red flashing led by the drivers door pin doesn't always flash, does that mean the alarm/ immobiliser isn't working? and when locking/ unlocking the car, the indicators only ever seem to flash upon unlocking the car? Whats going on with all this? I have no idea?

I've checked all the usual water ways to make sure they are clear and free, so there is no water coming into the cabin and I've never had the classic wet floor inside the old girl! so I don't think its the module under the passenger seat? but how do I check it?

5. Not an Electrical problem, this, but still irritating!
A.The engine seems to be searching from time to time, when idling, it drops down to 600rpm then raises to 1400rpm? Why?
B.It also seems to hesitate and stutter when accelerating in any gear, at any speed! it may go for days without a problem, then it all happens at once!
C.Also, when left on tickover, i.e in traffic, it starts to sound like a diesel, very ticky, is this the hydraulic tappets emptying? are they knackered? or what else is the problem?
I've had the oil, coolant, all filters, plugs and oil cooler (old one split) changed recently, but none of this has seemed to help stop the searching, stuttering or rattling!

Please help! Its driving me nuts!!

Martin

Also forgot to mention, that the buzzer that sounds when you have left your lights on and you open the door, doesn't always work! When I say, doesn't always work, what I mean is, it pretty much never works! And when it does, it makes me jump because I'm so not used to it working, Is this related to any of the other problems too?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

jimma04
17-01-2011, 09:23 PM
door locks are allways going wrong if the lights on buzzer does not work or the int light is not working its because the microswitch inside the lock is knackered same as locking or unlocking from each door if you can acess a diagnostic you can plug in and watch the live data on the doors ie it will tell u if it thinks the door is open the lock activated ect ect
Oh and if the light on the fob not working and you haave done the batt then fob is knackered you can but them and reprogramme them yourself with no diag required
Sounds like an airleak as for the hunting

bigman121
17-01-2011, 09:32 PM
thanks for the leads here, will be checking tomoz! do you have any idea where i can get the fob from? is it just a vw only part?

jimma04
17-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Maybe euro car parts or just a second hand one