PDA

View Full Version : A4 Tdi Through Puddle?

kieren12345
17-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Hello all,

On the way to work this morning I ran through a puddle on a roundabout, shortly after, the car lost power and died.

The car is a 2001 A4 Tdi 130. The car starts fine but will stop and lose power after 20secounds or so. If I remove the lead to the airmass sensor, the car will run without stopping but it smells of diesel and smokes.

The RAC man discounted a sensor at the front of the car and this also help.

Anyway I have got the car home and dismantled the pipework upto the inlet manfold and couldnt find any water apart from in the bottom of the airbox, a small amount of the airfilter was also wet, the the massflow meter and all pipework after this just seamed to have some oil, but no water in.

I have tried drying the massflow meter with a hair dryer.

I am know stuck as to ideas as to what to try next or as to what is going on.

Any help would be appreciated

Kieren

jimma04
17-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Does it missfire ??

kieren12345
17-01-2011, 09:33 PM
no, it doesnt miss-fire, it idles fine now I have hairdried the MAF, but if I rev it up, it will lose power and stop.

It will rev up better without the MAF and the other sensor unplugged but smokes abit and smells.

hope this helps?

jimma04
17-01-2011, 09:52 PM
whar other sensor
generally if its better without the maf then its knackered
Is the air filter wet/damp
Might be worth taking the bottom hose off the intercooler just make sure theres no water in there

kieren12345
17-01-2011, 10:04 PM
bottom of air box had water in, but the air flow is taken from the top.

The panel air filter had 3 fins that were wet, but the top of the box and MAF appeared dry.

Not sure what the other sensor is, its on the front slam panel and has a lead running to it, and thats it. Its about lighter size. I have no idea what it does, but one of the RAC mans colleague told him to try it and it does seam to have an effect.

Good shout about the bottom pipe, I will try that tomorrow.

Would a very small amout of water knarcker the MAF?

Do you think it could be turbo related?

thanks

jimma04
17-01-2011, 10:40 PM
sounds like boost pressure sensor yeah water can kill the maf
does it smoke ?/

Ben
17-01-2011, 10:55 PM
You need to get it read for fault codes with everything plugged back in as normal. The sensor within the bumper could be the impact sensor that deploys the airbag in a crash perhaps.

kieren12345
17-01-2011, 10:58 PM
it smokes when the MAf isnt connected, but very little when it is.

The smoke has seamed to decrease recently

Where is the boost pressure valve?