PDA

View Full Version : De Tarring the A6

JimC64
17-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Ok, so just spent an hour or so giving the car a quick going over and she looks great again ( for a short wile at least;) )
I fully believe thought have you have to keep on top of it, even in this weather.

Anyhow, the lowers, front bumper area and rears etc are covered in tar!!
Only just had her detailed as well:zx11:

Well, it'll be off to Halfords for me in the next wee while and investing in some Autoglym tar remover ( including the new wheels ) to get her nice n smooth again.
Ok, so I know it'll probably only need done again in the new few months but if I don't do it, it'll only keep me awake nights....lol

Anyone else noticed the copious amounts of tar flying around at the moment?

JON76
17-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Yes mate I've noticed this as well. I cleaned mine last week and it's starting to look like a ladybird with all the black specs on the red paint!

dandam
18-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I spent the weekend pushing a carpet cleaner around the house - hopefully that will have bought me plenty of credit with Mrs dandam so I can now go outside to the cars - I need some real cleaning therapy time !! :beerchug:

ROMEYR32
19-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi, yes mine`s covered on the lower half of the front doors. Im sure the mrs finds a tar pile and drives straight through it. Just be wary of how hard you rub with the autoglym, I did it before xmas on another tar covered panel and it left light scratches. I had to t - cut over the top to remove them! Cant be doing with a dirty car! It is good but took ages to remove:zx11:

dandam
20-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Exactly the same happened to mine, I was advised by a professional car valet guy to use a foam spray on it, leave it for ten minutes or so then wash off, not to use a product that you have to rub.

EdgeyA4
20-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Has anybody tried Showroom shin/Greased Lightning?

I use it all the time, a spray on wax on wax off jobby, works really well tbf Dont have to wash the car or anything, and is also very good at removing stumon objects, it has certain things in it to attract the dust and particales to save it scratching the paint work,

Chris

JimC64
20-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Dandam, much appreciated :beerchug:
Thanks for sharing Edgey:beerchug:

I think I will stick with Autoglym tar remover as I used it to great effect on my sons Clio.
I find that a generous amount applied and left to work its magic as a pre treatment for a few minutes, followed by a wipe with a cloth pre soaked in the solution works well.....the tar just slips off no problem.
Then a good wash with warm soapy water in those areas followed by drying and perhaps a wipe over with quick detail does the job :approve:

What with one thing or another and the weather I still haven't got round to it:(....but soon!

maximuss
21-01-2011, 02:28 PM
i find the best thing for removing tar spots is Wurth silicone remover...they just wipe clean off!!

JimC64
21-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I haven't tried it myself maximuss but have used several other Wurth products and they all get a 10/10 from me :beerchug:

belfastmark
21-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi
I find that when using Autoglym Tar remover, the best way is to put it into a squirty bottle and spray the affected areas on panel at a time. Spray a generous amount and leave for a few minutes, then come along with a microfibre cloth, also with some of the product on it and gently rub it. If there are more stubborn tar spots, spray them again and leave for a few more minutes and wipe.
You think you have tar problems now, wait until the warm weather comes ( Hopefully !), and all the potholes that have been caused by the bad weather we are having and have been filled in with tarmac and have softened !!!!
Good luck

JimC64
21-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Just waht I said Mark, right on :beerchug:

You're soo right about the mid spring / summer too! :(

paul b
26-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Removing tar... stuff your liquids, grab a Bilt Hamber clay bar and off you pop. All IMO of course. ;)

Also apply fresh wax over the treated area at least (nah, do the whole car!) to give you protection again.

My car was detailed in the summer, was waxed with Collinite 476S which to this day is still beading beautifully, however for the first time on it's last wash at the weekend I noticed tar sports beginning to build again, previously they would just wipe off during the wash but now they've began to stick. :zx11:

JimC64
28-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Well, thats the dirty job done....lol

Spent some time and got all the tar spots removed, and boy was there plenty:(

Firstly, I thoroughly washed the car as usual, then.....
I used the Autoglym tar remover and applied it generously, leaving it a few minutes to soak. The tar spots very quickly became liquid and started to run. A microfibre towel soaked in tar remover was used to wipe down basically all the way round from the windows down. I had some hits in various locations including a few lumps around the rear light cluster? The wheels were done too at this point.
Anyway, after this was done a quick wash using warm soapy water, dried and the tyres coated with some Wet n Black and she was / is looking good :beerchug:

Eshrules
28-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Jim - you want to try snowfoam bud, that's where the real fun is at.

It's a bit expensive to start off with, you need a decent pressure washer and a foam lance, but it's seriously good at pre-wash and helping to shift those bonded on contaminants.