PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Warning

TonyMc
17-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I bought a 1999 1.8 passat a month ago topped the fluids up and have used the car every day since. I am driving around 50 miles a day.

I was about to leave work today and the coolant level warning light came on. I had forgot to top it up....idiot.

As i am not used to these cars can anyone tell me if its normal for this amount of coolant consuption in 1 month or am i being oversensitive? Also most days i have the the heating on 29 degrees due to the weather.

Thanks in advance

snapdragon
17-01-2011, 03:05 PM
It shouldn't 'consume' any water at all. If the coolant needs topping up, there must be a leak somewhere, usually in the bottom corners of the radiator. Often, the leak is so slow, it dries as quick as it leaks forming a pink crust.

snapdragon
17-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Are you using the G12+ coolant at 66% strength?
This should stop small leaks in the radiator eventually.

TonyMc
17-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Should somewhere like Halfords sell G12 Coolant?

snapdragon
17-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Should somewhere like Halfords sell G12 Coolant?

Yes, it is red and usually says G12 on it, sometimes in very small writing on the back. It is cheaper than Halfords from motor factors, GSF etc..

Chipped2
17-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Your dealer sells most fluids at reasonable cost too and there is no need to look at the small print !
Unlike the aftermarket suppliers he sells all that you will ever need, however small for, your car and will be able to get it next day if it is in stock in the UK.

PS. My wife cannot believe you have your car at 29 degrees, she would have jumped out long before you got into fourth gear.

TonyMc
18-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Well I have found the leak and its the radiator. Euro car parts advertise replacements for around £60.

Anyone know where I can get it fitted for a reasonanble price? I live between Oxford and Swindon.