PDA

View Full Version : jap or german

a8 tech
27-06-2007, 08:44 PM
We all know the japs have the reliability issue sorted but why do we buy german.I hate jap crap but what do you think

prolfe
27-06-2007, 08:56 PM
We all know the japs have the reliability issue sorted but why do we buy german.I hate jap crap but what do you think

I agree, that Japanese cars have been at the top of reliability surveys for the last 5 or 6 years, yet we still wander off to VAG, BMW and Mercedes.

Badge appeal will always play a big part, for me the quality of materials used and also the design helped me make my decision.

Anyone who's driven a VTEC will know how sweet they sound beyond 5000 revs. They also have never had a warranty claim on a VTEC engine since they were originally built back in the 80's

And if I could have one that was new and untouched, i'd love a Nissan Skyline R34.

Have to stick to my little A3 and dream of an RS4.

The Stagg
27-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I had two Mazdas before the Passat, both over 120k on the clock. And I miss them both! The 1.8V6 in the MX-3 is fantastic above 3,750 rpm, and its a good looking motor too. German stuff is refined and comfortable and feels better made, the jap stuff tends to be more raw but ultimately more exiting (at my price range anyway) With hindsight i'd probably have kept my MX-3 and spent a few quid on the suspension I think!

Col
27-06-2007, 09:10 PM
The problem is with Jap cars, by and large they look so plain.

Nissan for example have produced on one hand some real crackers 200, 300, Skyline, Pulsar GT etc and then on the other choose to market and plug some of the most boring ugly cars going.

Why do they do that ?

The Stagg
27-06-2007, 09:27 PM
The problem is with Jap cars, by and large they look so plain.

Nissan for example have produced on one hand some real crackers 200, 300, Skyline, Pulsar GT etc and then on the other choose to market and plug some of the most boring ugly cars going.

Why do they do that ?

This is very true, and part of the reason i don't own one now. My Mazda 323f was a 94 model with pop up lights, it was great to drive and didn't really look like anything else. The replacement model was curvy and still looks good today, and i may still buy one, its also available with a V6. The last model was soo bland in comparison it looked like a Nissan Almera tribute... never a good thing!

a8 tech
27-06-2007, 09:42 PM
This is good stuff.I think the quality of audi interiors is second to none and the ride of all vag cars is very high quality but you dont see meny pensioners in audi but if you look inside the jap cars there coffins on wheels,even the taxi drivers are into the v.a.g stuff now as the bluebirds have finally died off.

KiwiA6
27-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Down here, Jap and Korean cars probably make up 90% of the vehicles on the road – apart from the Australian Ford Falcon & Holden Commodore.

The reason I like the Euro’s is simple – styling. Jap cars are simply boring. The difference between sitting in the drivers seat of my in-laws Nissan Maxima and my A6 is immeasurable. Sure, the Japs come with plenty of bells and whistles now, but it can’t touch the ergonomics of the Euros. With the Audi, everything control is where it feels the most right – with Japs, you can spend hours looking for a particular button!!

Ride and handling is another big point. Yes, the Japs are catching up, but for our roads, nothing can beat a blast in a decent Euro.

Luckily for us, Euro’s are becoming much more affordable down here since we started bring in large numbers of used cars from Japan. Most of the Euros on the roads here have first been driven in Japan, or Singapore. This works well for us, as we get a high specced model for excellent value. My own A6 was a Jap import 3 years ago. Euro’s are generally considered ‘posh’ hear – what you would consider a run of the mill car there would get envious glances from people driving Japs worth twice the price here!!

Japanese reliability has already been good, but I have had no problem with the 3 Discoveries, 1 Range Rover, the Rover 623 or the Audi either. That said, the 623 did have Honda running gear, but I found that the best of both worlds – Jap reliability with Euro styling. That was a nice wee car.

MalcQV
27-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Since 92 until last year I have always had Mazda and/or Honda. I can't fault them. This is my first VAG. I like it but TBH have had more trouble with it than any of the Japanese cars, but as I have only had one VAG think it would be unfair to say they are less reliable.

I changed my 96 Accord just because I got bored with it. Had, had that and a 95 Accord before it for 8 years total. They really were faultless.

The engine note in the Pasty is better than the Accords though ;)

RickT
27-06-2007, 11:03 PM
They also have never had a warranty claim on a VTEC engine since they were originally built back in the 80's

Yes they have.. a mate of mine worked for Honda and has replaced a few lumps before now under warranty..

RickT

mluton
27-06-2007, 11:09 PM
My last car was a Toyota MR2 Roadster. Previously to me owning it, it just sat in a garage for 18 months as the person was out of the country all the time.

It had no MOT, but passed without a fault. It also had a hard life from me for 2 years, passing another MOT without failure. Never had to replace any parts, not even discs and pads, servicing was only £110 every 10k.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/Lutons/01Large.jpg

A motor i couldnt fault in anyway, but had to change as it was impractical when i moved in with SWMBO.

Now i drive a VAG mobile.

prolfe
28-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I had two Mazdas before the Passat, both over 120k on the clock. And I miss them both! The 1.8V6 in the MX-3 is fantastic above 3,750 rpm, and its a good looking motor too. German stuff is refined and comfortable and feels better made, the jap stuff tends to be more raw but ultimately more exiting (at my price range anyway) With hindsight i'd probably have kept my MX-3 and spent a few quid on the suspension I think!

I had a MX3 as well, I thought it was great. It sounded so throaty at lower revs and really technical at higher revs. But boy did it drink fuel, on average it was about 19mpg.

adamss24
28-06-2007, 03:19 PM
I had a MX3 as well, I thought it was great. It sounded so throaty at lower revs and really technical at higher revs. But boy did it drink fuel, on average it was about 19mpg.
Thats the thing with german TDI, you can rev the nuts out off them and still return 30 Mpg and do that while you sit in a quiet, refined and well made interiour, and after a few years they still sell for good money !

prolfe
28-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes they have.. a mate of mine worked for Honda and has replaced a few lumps before now under warranty..

RickT

You're right, sorry, I should of written that the 'VTEC system' has never had a warranty claim in its history, the engine itself though has had.

Still pretty impressive.

There's an explanation of the VTEC system here:

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=128766

prolfe
28-06-2007, 04:12 PM
in going on about Japanese cars, I have to say that I prefer German cars.

I have had a '96 MKIII Golf 8v and now my A3 and love them both.

My wife has had a MKII and MKIII Golf and is now in a 56 plate Ibiza Sport which she loves.

I've driven all of the Preludes, an Accord, my MX3 and many toyotas, but they just don't compare to their German rivals.

They are just screwed together so well and the smiles whilst driving them are abundant.

hmm, guess I would not be on this forum if i thought otherwise though. :biglaugh:

The Stagg
28-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Crikey! i used to get 30-32 mpg out of mine! The previous owner had spent a fortune on main dealer servicing though! You are right about that engine note though, it took on a whole new character as the revs built, it was infectious. My Passat is better at the basics of being a car, and doing what a car needs to do, its just that it simply has no character. I've never gone out and driven it just for the sake of it, the same cannot be said for the MX-3!

Fizzbitt
29-06-2007, 02:00 PM
This is the perfect thread for me to come in on as a newbie with a love for the Jap scene. :biglaugh:

Have to agree with a lot of what has been said to be honest. Jap cars are more plastic and not as desireable to their Euro counterparts but... and this is a big but...

The jap sports cars you cant touch for performance combined with reliability.

I have owned 5 Jap cars now in a period of 4 years. All have been sporty numbers and none of them have let me down mechanically which wasnt due to wear and tear.

Ive had the following in no particular order.

2 5th generation Celica GT (pop up lights ones)
1 6th generation Ceilica GT4 (bug eye one with bonnet vents)
1 Honda Civic 1.8 VTi

And the one i miss the most...
MR2 T-bar GT-S Twin entry Turbo

I bought the GT4 and the MR2 for mostly the same reasons... They were the fastest and reliable car i could find for the monies at the time.

The MR2 had a 0-60 of 5.2 seconds with a top speed of 165mph. The car back in 2004 cost me £4.5k on a 94 plate. There was nothing that could compare to it in terms of value for monies and reliability.

I have sadly had to gradually downgrade due to getting married.. then buying a house.. and now kiddie on the way... Ive loved a few German sporty cars but alas they were not as exciting to drive as the GT4 and MR2.

Just picked up my latest car which is a Bora TDi Sport 6 speed and im looking forward to some mpg and cheap running costs. As i have already stated.. It all depends on what you want out of a car.. Has to be said though that the likes of Lexus with the latest range are holding their own against the German contingent and good for them.
:beerchug:

a8 tech
29-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Great info on the jap stuff but all i will say is S2 RS4 RS6 R32 R8 MARK 1 GTI these are what vag are all about.As for lexus they are very reliable but how meny are there on the road compared to A4/a6 and which has more desirability.Keep it comming i like it.Also my fav skoda are banging on the door in the jd power results and rightly so.

dessimpson
29-06-2007, 09:23 PM
For my last 3 cars i've had a Honda Prelude Vtec, a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R and a Mitsubishi Evo 5. Had no problems with the Honda. Lots of problems with the
Pulsar (£4545 for engine rebuild) and no major problems with the evo.
My golf is a nicer place to sit but as a driving experience it's quite frankly, Crap!! Also, to say the VAG cars have great build quality is stretching it a bit.
My wee golf has had a new turbo, the wipers are starting to stick and i had to have the struts re-tapped to get the front calipers back on. Oh, and don't
get me started on the "quality" of VW's paintwork (how many red/pink VW's have you seen????)

Don't know if you can tell. But i really don't like mine :o. I think that when i decided to go for something a bit slower i may have overdone it a bit. The
only reason i've still got it is that i do like the mpg's (;)Scottish!!) and i can't drive it due to a ruptured achilles.

OzzyDan
29-06-2007, 10:13 PM
i owned quite a few Skyline's during the time i lived in New Zealand over there they are 2 a penny i had a 1991 R32 GTR twin turbo (500bhp) i had a 1980 R32 GTT 2.0 single turbo (350bhp) i owned a 1995 R33 GT 2.5 non turbo (250bhp) and the last one i had was a 1998 R34 GTT 2.5 single Turbo (450bhp) they are all great cars and they where all automatic/triptronic apart from the GTR of couse (i now live in the uk i brought a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 2.5 twin turbo and quickly sold it again as i dont have a lying share in BP or Shell) i have now got a 1998 Golf TDI 110 bhp (Auto again "i dont know why Brits insist on buying manuals to sit in a traffic jam every day") after being recomended it by a friend i love it the build quaity if far better than anything i have ever experianced yes it is nowhere near as fast as my previous cars but i dont care. i must admit i am now looking at the mk5 R32 golf as a play car. but i will keep my TDi till i have to scrap it. VAG TDI is the best workhorse on the road today

Fizzbitt
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
i think this would be an approprite time to add this link... lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6260328.stm

RickT
03-07-2007, 10:01 PM
im German for the big lux stuff... but Jap for the hot quick saloons for a decent price..

RickT

Fizzbitt
05-07-2007, 11:08 AM
exactly... as i said.. for performace matched with reliability you cant beat Jap... :)

Nezmond
05-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Owned both, as said before the reliability is faultless on jap cars (only owned hondas, none of the others) and the engines are a scream.

If you want something to chew up the miles without too many problems then they are both great!!

On experience i still prefer jap cars but i havent owned my audi for long:D

a8 tech
11-07-2007, 07:26 PM
:confused: Why have you bought an audi then.Dont take it the wrong way but thats an odd statement if you prefer honda then honda is what you buy

MalcQV
11-07-2007, 10:29 PM
:confused: Why have you bought an audi then.Dont take it the wrong way but thats an odd statement if you prefer honda then honda is what you buy

I have done the same. You won't know what owning something else is like unless you try it :beerchug:

The Honda I wanted was out of my price range so the Pasty seemed like a good 2nd choice, or was it third er fourth anyway you get my drift.

Nezmond
12-07-2007, 12:58 PM
I have done the same. You won't know what owning something else is like unless you try it :beerchug:

The Honda I wanted was out of my price range so the Pasty seemed like a good 2nd choice, or was it third er fourth anyway you get my drift.

The next honda i want to buy is an s2000, so it may be a few years yet, so that was exactly my thinking, ive had the hondas and they are great but i fancied a change so as nissans and toyotas for the most part are dull the next obvious choice was the vag group.

Grabbed myself an a3 and i love it so far:D So its a good decision at the minute!!

Alun
12-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I've driven a couple of jap cars, a Honda Accord and a Suzuki Swift (both 1995). I have to say, the Honda lacked feel through the steering wheel and rusted quite bad. The Swift was very reliable but made out of paper. I curently own my fisrt VAG car in the form of a MK3 Golf TD, which has turned out to be a little belter. My signature says it all really, it's been extremely reliable. I've never had to fix anything (apart from obvious wear and tear), it gives great MPG, the body work is solid and the interior is so well screwed together that there isn't a creak in it anywhere, even after 145,000 miles. Even after me perfomring a few 'skills' on the local beach and driving it hard through the rev range, it still remains a solid reliable car. I can't fault it really in any way.

There was once that saying, "If only everything in life was relaible as a Volkswagen". Which is very very ture.

VAG cars rule!!!!:biglaugh:

MalcQV
12-07-2007, 10:22 PM
The next honda i want to buy is an s2000, so it may be a few years yet, so that was exactly my thinking, ive had the hondas and they are great but i fancied a change so as nissans and toyotas for the most part are dull the next obvious choice was the vag group.

Grabbed myself an a3 and i love it so far:D So its a good decision at the minute!!

The S2000 looks sounds and is a superb car. In my top 10 ;)

Fizzbitt
12-07-2007, 10:25 PM

Aye, a mate of mine has got one. He has since buying it added a supercharger kit/IC/Xorst/CAI kit etc etc...

Now pushin circa 380bhp... :aargh4: Tis a beast to say the least! :D

a8 tech
12-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I have road tested the R8 and S5 this week after preping them for the showroom and there are no jap cars that even come close to the new models being launched this year and next year.Me thinks the japs will always play catch up to german design and build quality,not to mention desirability.O the R8 kicks *** big time

Fizzbitt
12-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Totally agree with you that the current Jap spoorts car range cant touch germans at the mo... The days of the MR2 Turbo/GT4/GTO/NSX/Supra are over.. :(

Although in saying that.. the new GTR is almost out and that WILL give the germans a run for their monies! ;) Also the new NSX is being developed as i type this as well.

sydkhan
12-07-2007, 10:39 PM
all you people are talking about jap designs are boring there is 1 and only 1 car which i owned which strikes out from all other european cars (except new mercedes benz c-class sport version) mitsubishi galant which has more then any other german car road presence.tho i dont own that car anymore but sure i miss it as for ergonomics yep germans are the best but japs provide more with same price of a german car.
:beerchug:

a8 tech
12-07-2007, 10:43 PM
ARE YOU OFF YOUR ROCKER.I like you but your a nutter

sydkhan
12-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Thats the thing with german TDI, you can rev the nuts out off them and still return 30 Mpg and do that while you sit in a quiet, refined and well made interiour, and after a few years they still sell for good money !

i always owned jap cars due to reliability BUT after seeing my brother buying audi and selling for close to purchase price after a year i decided to switch now owns VW had it only for a week hopefully VW will make me stick to germans reliability.

if it does then im sold. :)

i want merc c-class sport thats a car to drive bloddy amazing!

dessimpson
12-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Totally agree with you that the current Jap spoorts car range cant touch germans at the mo... The days of the MR2 Turbo/GT4/GTO/NSX/Supra are over.. :(

Although in saying that.. the new GTR is almost out and that WILL give the germans a run for their monies! ;) Also the new NSX is being developed as i type this as well.

Err, what german sports cars???? :confused::confused:

MalcQV
12-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Err, what german sports cars???? :confused::confused:

Porsche? Though as much as I love Japanese cars, Porsches (911's) are somink else.

dessimpson
12-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Porsche? Though as much as I love Japanese cars, Porsches (911's) are somink else.

I was thinking along the lines of the mx5, rx8, imprezza, evo etc. Basically cars that are affordable. :D

sydkhan
12-07-2007, 11:42 PM
I was thinking along the lines of the mx5, rx8, imprezza, evo etc. Basically cars that are affordable. :D

the evo x will be sure fire HIT as it carries evil grin on the front and the inside is there to match it BUT then again we got AMG, RS of audis and M of bmws these elegant brands just are something.

drove my dads E55 the other day i was off my seat when i came off the driving seat its something amazing.

You pull put of a junction with full throttle and the massive power suckes you into the back of the seat, the noise is psychotic but also strangely addictive. It starts of low pitched and very throaty not unlike that of a canAm racer and gradually becomes high pitched towards the rev limiter the performance is vast to- 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. But sadly the E55 is more of a performance cruiser rather than a chuckable supercar.

but cant wait for Merc C amg and RS8

hope to give RS8 a spin looks like a solid rocket. :biglaugh:

;)

dessimpson
13-07-2007, 12:26 AM
the evo x will be sure fire HIT as it carries evil grin on the front and the inside is there to match it BUT then again we got AMG, RS of audis and M of bmws these elegant brands just are something.

drove my dads E55 the other day i was off my seat when i came off the driving seat its something amazing.

You pull put of a junction with full throttle and the massive power suckes you into the back of the seat, the noise is psychotic but also strangely addictive. It starts of low pitched and very throaty not unlike that of a canAm racer and gradually becomes high pitched towards the rev limiter the performance is vast to- 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. But sadly the E55 is more of a performance cruiser rather than a chuckable supercar.

but cant wait for Merc C amg and RS8

hope to give RS8 a spin looks like a solid rocket. :biglaugh:

;)

All very expensive cars though :( Even the new evo looks like it'll be very expensive and apparently most will have stupid paddle shift gearboxes. Next
thing you know it'll be a 2.5 litre and will weigh 5 tonnes (no wait, that's the imprezza :biglaugh:) There's no fun to be had in a car that is very fast but
weighs loads. Light, nimble and fast. That's where the fun's to be had. Anyone can go 150mph. It's getting there that's the best bit ;)

Nezmond
13-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Didnt help matters that i had a drive of one at a honda open day, that really was a case of good idea/bad idea;)

I agree its very rare that a car looks good from all angles, and that engine is superb!!

Nezmond
13-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately barring the 350Z it does seem that the japs are lagging behind again as said before.

I do think that when the new nsx, gtr and supra are released it will be back on an even footing again!!

MalcQV
13-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Didnt help matters that i had a drive of one at a honda open day, that really was a case of good idea/bad idea;)

I agree its very rare that a car looks good from all angles, and that engine is superb!!

:D:DNever a good idea to drive a superb car then get back in to a "normal" car

Fishr
17-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I have been driving Hondas for the last 7 years, starting with an Accord, Prelude, Civic and now an S2000. I have now just bought an A6 Avant Quattro V6 Diesel for its load capacity, economy and above all the relaxing comfortable drive. The S2000 is a brilliant car, but hard work to drive compared to the A6! The two cars are obviously very different but the Civic is also nice, easy to drive and the engine loves to be revved just like the S2000!:aargh4: This is what is taking me the longest to get used to with the A6, it is such a relaxed way of driving!

The main reason I have bought Hondas is for the reliability, I owned both the Prelude and the Accord well into their 130Ks, the Accord had nothing ever go wrong with it, the Prelude had a few wear and tear parts like ball joints go, which then involved replacing whole lower suspension arms which were a Honda only part that cost hundreds. The Civic and S2000 are still quite low mileage and have both been trouble free, I am just hoping that the A6 is going to be as reliable. Should I be worried?:confused:

The S2000 is for sale if anyone is interested!:D 52 plate with 31K on the clock!! Very sad to see this go, but practicality is the requirement…….for the moment anyway!

Jimbo1.8t
18-07-2007, 11:29 PM
i have £5.50 in my wallet if you could bring it around this week end that'll be swell!!!:D

MalcQV
19-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I

The S2000 is for sale if anyone is interested!:D 52 plate with 31K on the clock!! Very sad to see this go, but practicality is the requirement…….for the moment anyway!

I am toying with the idea of parting company with my Passat (and have been since the first month of ownership :D). The S2000 is worth at very least twice as much as my dullard. The two seats only, might be an issue though :p.

Good luck with selling it, though I doubt you will have any problems ;)

Brekka
21-07-2007, 09:31 AM
I have a Passat TDI 110 but used to have a MY94 Impreza WRX import (not strictly japanese but tend to get labelled jap-crap) that was tuned to 280bhp.

There is no comparison for me personally, the impreza just blows the Passat away on so many different levels, but then it's not really fair to compare the two as they were designed with very different things in mind.

If we ignore speed, handling, etc and look at real world comparisons then the Subaru had bullet-proof mechanicals, overall better build quality (7 years older than my Passat, done the same miles but the interior looked and felt brand new!), interior options and layout were roughly equal in my opinion. Then the real biggy for me, and this is very much a personal thing, is that the Subaru was the comfiest car i have ever sat in (but then thats just a case of ergonomics as i'm 6'6'') and by that i mean the seat suited my build not that there was more or less headroom/legroom. Also as a side issue servicing was very cheap.

In the real grown up world though we have to face facts that the Japs/Koreans don't build diesel cars and there aren't many people building diesels as well as VAG, so when it comes to keeping my money in my pocket the Passat wins every time!

Freshup
21-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Not having owned a german car, if they are anything like the Transporters we own (plastic bits falling off, high maint costs, average component life. but must concede quiet & comfortable for vans) then Jap for me. Currently drive old fogey car, GS300 Lexus, now thats a car!

Fishr
21-07-2007, 10:03 AM
I am toying with the idea of parting company with my Passat (and have been since the first month of ownership :D). The S2000 is worth at very least twice as much as my dullard. The two seats only, might be an issue though :p.

Good luck with selling it, though I doubt you will have any problems ;)

:beerchug: I hope I have no problems selling, the car is absolutely perfect, but with this summer weather...:crying: Last thing on peoples minds is a nice convertable!:mad:

Have you thought about a nice second car!:biglaugh:

MalcQV
21-07-2007, 10:13 PM
:beerchug: I hope I have no problems selling, the car is absolutely perfect, but with this summer weather...:crying: Last thing on peoples minds is a nice convertable!:mad:

Have you thought about a nice second car!:biglaugh:

Yes I have, and am keeping it :p

bestcara1
22-07-2007, 01:48 AM

It's got to be down to the quality of materials used, Mercedes paintwork excepted of course! Sit inside an Audi or VW and you can't fail to be impressed, sit inside a Jap equivalent and you're snoring within minutes.

I've been involved in the motor trade for a number of years and although I am suitably impressed by Japanese reliabilty the mid range product can only be described as bland, give me a Golf, Passat or A4 any day over an Avensis, Primera (yuk!) or Mazda 6, they just do not compere, seriously! :approve:

dessimpson
22-07-2007, 02:02 AM
If you're talking of "quality of materials" then i'd have to agree. But as an overall package my MkIV golf is "Snooze factor 10" for driving. As a complete
package it's not bad but i really can't see why everyone seems to think they are SO well built, as mine has had a new turbo. The paint isn't any better than
other cars it's age. I had to have some extra work done on the brakes which shouldn't have needed doing. It's quite clunky from the back end and the front
wipers are slower than a crack addict window cleaner at the traffic lights (first job to be fixed as soon as i'm up to driving again!)

Ben
22-07-2007, 09:26 AM
I remember, several years ago now, maybe at least 10, going to the motor show at the nec, and seeing for the 1st time close up a nissan skyline gtr34. I think it was the latest and last version they made. This one was in the shade of blue that subarus look good in. I believe that my memory serves me correct that this one had been professionally tuned to over 1000bhp. I always fancied having one from then on. I also recall it having 4 doors and a large boot. Ideal for the family. They then stopped producing them. Recently nissan were scouring the world and buying back the best examples as they had none of their own to use as testing mules as they were considering bringing back the gtr badge.

dessimpson
22-07-2007, 10:02 AM
I remember, several years ago now, maybe at least 10, going to the motor show at the nec, and seeing for the 1st time close up a nissan skyline gtr34. I think it was the latest and last version they made. This one was in the shade of blue that subarus look good in. I believe that my memory serves me correct that this one had been professionally tuned to over 1000bhp. I always fancied having one from then on. I also recall it having 4 doors and a large boot. Ideal for the family. They then stopped producing them. Recently nissan were scouring the world and buying back the best examples as they had none of their own to use as testing mules as they were considering bringing back the gtr badge.

The GTR's were all 2 door I think, and Very pricey!!
They did show a prototype (concept) for the GTR35 a few years back
http://static.paultan.org/skyline_gtr_proto_17.jpg

paul20v
22-07-2007, 11:27 AM
hi
i allways go vag i suppose you get stuck in a better the devil you know situation i to had pondered with the idea of a skyline but get me a standard one with out guages stuck on every surface in the car i think i will stick with the vag :beerchug:

paul20v
22-07-2007, 11:30 AM
If you're talking of "quality of materials" then i'd have to agree. But as an overall package my MkIV golf is "Snooze factor 10" for driving. As a complete
package it's not bad but i really can't see why everyone seems to think they are SO well built, as mine has had a new turbo. The paint isn't any better than
other cars it's age. I had to have some extra work done on the brakes which shouldn't have needed doing. It's quite clunky from the back end and the front
wipers are slower than a crack addict window cleaner at the traffic lights (first job to be fixed as soon as i'm up to driving again!)seized spindles for the wipers and rear axle bushes to the body mounts on the rear common problems
sorry that was right off thread track :beerchug:

sydkhan
22-07-2007, 09:33 PM
every one is talking about jap vs german what about british vs german?

now is that worth competing?

i personally think new vectras are quite good!

what people say?

paul20v
22-07-2007, 10:06 PM

i personally think new vectras are quite good!

what people say?
now your just being silly:biglaugh:

chrisvrscrx
22-07-2007, 10:22 PM
If I had my way i'd have both my passat for daily drivin and a CRX Vtec or a 200sx for thrashin......but i'm skint and I can't.:biglaugh:

MalcQV
23-07-2007, 10:53 PM
wipers are slower than a crack addict window cleaner at the traffic lights (first job to be fixed as soon as i'm up to driving again!)

I agree mate, the Passat is quality inside compared with my Accord, though the latter was 7 years older.

The Passat is quicker too and the BHP is about the same, but then the Accord had 105k on it. We all know the BHP from new is somewhat different from that of a high mileage engine.

Horses for courses. Quality finish of German is better than Japanese, though my personal experience is the reliability of the Passat I have, is way off the Accord.

This morning I actually got concerned the Pasty was not going to start. Must of been damp and I did not use it Sunday.

dessimpson
23-07-2007, 10:56 PM
This morning I actually got concerned the Pasty was not going to start. Must of been damp and I did not use it Sunday.

I haven't used mine in 7 weeks :(
Get my robocop leg off next week though :D Just gotta learn how to walk again :o

bestcara1
23-07-2007, 11:16 PM
exactly... as i said.. for performace matched with reliability you cant beat Jap... :)

Hope your right about the reliabilty bit 'cos I've just bought an RX7 Efini tonight and I'm picking it up tomorrow (my sons gagging to drive it). Cosmetically it looks like it's right out of the showroom I just hope the mechanics are in as good a shape, especially knowing that its got a rotary engine and twin turbos, it looks an absolute beast anyway :D

dessimpson
24-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Hope your right about the reliabilty bit 'cos I've just bought an RX7 Efini tonight and I'm picking it up tomorrow (my sons gagging to drive it). Cosmetically it looks like it's right out of the showroom I just hope the mechanics are in as good a shape, especially knowing that its got a rotary engine and twin turbos, it looks an absolute beast anyway :D

Keep an eye on the oil levels (check weekly) and regular servicing and it'll be fine. Lovely cars :D

Eshrules
24-07-2007, 08:59 AM

that argument isn't sustainable though... how many truely British cars do we have left? most have been sold off now :( i got told Ford own Landrover now, Gmc own ford and a whole host of other companies. then you've got chevrolet and daewoo, etc. :Blush2:

Fizzbitt
24-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Keep an eye on the oil levels (check weekly) and regular servicing and it'll be fine. Lovely cars :D

Yup... what he said...

Also what milage is it and has it had a recent compression test? Rebuilds are expensive and are usually needed every 30/40k depending on how its been driven.

Also watch out for the mpg... or in the Rex case... gpm! :D

Man.. trust you to buy one of the most delicate cars and them post on this thread! lol

The rex for me is one of the most sexiest cars on the planent. I just hope you have picked one up that has been well maintained. A friend of mine had one modded to circa 370bhp with a candy apple paintwork etc etc.

Fizzbitt
24-07-2007, 09:53 AM
The GTR's were all 2 door I think, and Very pricey!!
They did show a prototype (concept) for the GTR35 a few years back
http://static.paultan.org/skyline_gtr_proto_17.jpg

Its almost ready for release. A friend works as a salesman for Nissan and has already taken a deposit for when it arrives.

Its been testing on the Nurburgring a few months back as well.

http://www.nissangtrproto.com/images/2007/03/close-ups-of-the-nissan-gtr-2.jpg

They reckon it will be circa 450bhp with a V8

bestcara1
24-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Yup... what he said...

Also what milage is it and has it had a recent compression test? Rebuilds are expensive and are usually needed every 30/40k depending on how its been driven.

Also watch out for the mpg... or in the Rex case... gpm! :D

Man.. trust you to buy one of the most delicate cars and them post on this thread! lol

The rex for me is one of the most sexiest cars on the planent. I just hope you have picked one up that has been well maintained. A friend of mine had one modded to circa 370bhp with a candy apple paintwork etc etc.

Yep, when you see a car like that in an auction house you've got to have serious misgivings.......and I did have, the problem was I also had my son prodding me in the back when the bidding stalled at a realistic figure, my winning bid went in and at EXACTLY the same point in time I was think '****, what are you doing'.

The car looks like one of those imports that have JUST come in from Japan, it's immaculate which is a worry because if there ARE any problems with it they can only be mechanical although she started up on the first turn and sounded very sweet when given some revs as she was going through.

The proof in the pudding will be later today, I'm in two minds whether to collect her on my tilt bed or allow my salivating son to drive it home with me following very closely in the old RR HSE that I also bought, on second thought I may just make him drive the RR:biglaugh:

Fizzbitt
24-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Yep, when you see a car like that in an auction house you've got to have serious misgivings.......and I did have, the problem was I also had my son prodding me in the back when the bidding stalled at a realistic figure, my winning bid went in and at EXACTLY the same point in time I was think '****, what are you doing'.

The car looks like one of those imports that have JUST come in from Japan, it's immaculate which is a worry because if there ARE any problems with it they can only be mechanical although she started up on the first turn and sounded very sweet when given some revs as she was going through.

The proof in the pudding will be later today, I'm in two minds whether to collect her on my tilt bed or allow my salivating son to drive it home with me following very closely in the old RR HSE that I also bought, on second thought I may just make him drive the RR:biglaugh:

Hehe... Get him in the Rover and get yourself behind the wheel since you bought it! :approve:

What you also want to do is get onto the rotary owners club as there is a tonne of info on there which you will find very very useful.

Congrats on the purcahse and good luck. If your anything like me you will park it near a window to you can just look at it for a while as it really is a thing of beauty. :D

MalcQV
24-07-2007, 12:44 PM
that argument isn't sustainable though... how many truely British cars do we have left? most have been sold off now :( i got told Ford own Landrover now, Gmc own ford and a whole host of other companies. then you've got chevrolet and daewoo, etc. :Blush2:

Are you sure about that (GMC/Ford)?

Ben
24-07-2007, 10:27 PM
As far as i'm aware i can only name 2 british owned car makers. Noble and TX1 (black cab)

AndyM
24-07-2007, 11:13 PM
My 2003 Passat TDi 130 is the first VW I've owned, mainly spurred on by its looks, quality reputation and the fact that my brother had 4 years of trouble free running from an old Jetta which he raved about. I have to admit that the Passat is a bit soggy compared to my previous Mondeo in terms of handling, but the build quality is much better. I'm now a confirmed VW fan.

My wife has a 2005 Lexus IS200 - roughly the same performance as the Passat but while she gets the gorgeous straight 6 engine, I get the fuel economy that she envies so much. I don't doubt the reliability of the Lexus, but I really can't justify the fact that her car cost £7k more than mine when there's only 16 months difference in age between them.

I suppose it's all about personal preference: I've owned Nissans in the past and yes they can be plasticky and sometimes a bit dull to look at, but the P11 Primera SRi handled like it was on rails and was a great car to drive, even at 130k. But, are British built Japanese cars as reliable as their Japanese built counterparts? I'm not so sure.

Freshup
25-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Being a Lexus fan, hate to say this. Used car safety ratings have just been released downunder. Aust & NZ accident stats from '87 to '05 involving 2.8 million vehicles. Safest vehicle......VW Passat....

Fizzbitt
25-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Being a Lexus fan, hate to say this. Used car safety ratings have just been released downunder. Aust & NZ accident stats from '87 to '05 involving 2.8 million vehicles. Safest vehicle......VW Passat....

Tis a good job i never bought cars on their safty rating. When your time is up... its up! Nothing you can do about it. :D

adamss24
25-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Also, keep in mind that not all grease monkeys know how to work on the wankel rotary engine and the engine will need rebuilding every 50 K or so ! I love the way the engine sounds and the performance but the fuel consumption sucks....thats why i bought a V6 TDI quattro ! My car gets booted every day and still does 500-600 miles on a tank of fuel ! My next car will be a remapped a4 3.0 TDI quattro as a daily car and i am planning to build a Mk2 golf GTI 1.8 T with an s3 engine as a weekend car ! That will be fun to drive !

MalcQV
25-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Just drove into work in my BH's MX5. Though we have had it from new (98) I have never really driven it that far, and with the roof down. I look a bit of a **** at my age, but what a car you can't beat RWD fun :p

It was a retest and had failed on a warped disc, that is the only failure we have had on the car in 9 years.

Fizzbitt
25-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Just drove into work in my BH's MX5. Though we have had it from new (98) I have never really driven it that far, and with the roof down. I look a bit of a **** at my age, but what a car you can't beat RWD fun :p

It was a retest and had failed on a warped disc, that is the only failure we have had on the car in 9 years.

BH stands for?

Fizzbitt
25-07-2007, 01:46 PM
by the way...

http://209.85.12.232/7439/86/emo/JDM.gif :D

MalcQV
26-07-2007, 12:14 PM
BH stands for?
Better half's (being lazy I guess)

Edwardo_TDI
26-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I love jap cars too. I had a Mitsubishi Colt 1.6 16v which was pretty quick and fun to drive. Then I got a Mazda Xedos 6 2.0 V6 which was sweet as, but only 144 bhp, still pulled nicely though and handled like it was on rails.

I think jap cars are very reliable and VAG standards have been slipping in the past few years unfortunately. Although jap cars can feel light and flimsy, especially the interiors.

I'm 50/50 on this debate :)

a8 tech
26-07-2007, 07:53 PM
O my god has this turned into we love jap thread.Look the germans build quality and advanced technolodgy is well in front of those ugly o.a.p coffins on wheels come on vag owners fight back.

Col
26-07-2007, 08:02 PM
O my god has this turned into we love jap thread.Look the germans build quality and advanced technolodgy is well in front of those ugly o.a.p coffins on wheels come on vag owners fight back.

Yes lets fight.

We could gurn them to death.

dessimpson
26-07-2007, 08:18 PM

What advanced technology would that be?? and the build quality is no better or no worse :dunno:

a8 tech
26-07-2007, 09:02 PM
What jap car can rival the Q7 or the A8 or the R8 for advancement in network systems and quality of the interiors

dessimpson
26-07-2007, 09:15 PM
What jap car can rival the Q7 or the A8 or the R8 for advancement in network systems and quality of the interiors

What the heck are "advancements in network systems"?? :(

Oh and even the malaysians can beat the Q7 on looks :D

a8 tech
26-07-2007, 09:21 PM
The topology of the electrical sytems,canbus linbus databus mostbus convience can infotainment can to name but a few.These are the communication networks that make the car work,if your sad as iam they are fasinating and very complex,these are the networks that keep advancing

a8 tech
26-07-2007, 10:26 PM
When i started this post i didnt think it would go on for this long,however its had some great input and i am starting to think that jap might not be so crap.Yes i cant belive it myself a self confessed vag lover showing signs of weakness,keep it coming and thanks to all who have spent time on this post to view there feelings on the subject.Very best regards to all

Fizzbitt
26-07-2007, 10:39 PM
That would be partly my fault as as soon as i joined i was directed to this thread due to my passion for Jap cars! :D

The Japs may not have cars in the lineup on par with the likes of the S5/A8 etc but the more common sector like the Hatch's saloons etc. ;)

Heck, if we thought they did everythign perfect we wouldnt be sat here on the Vdub forum talking in this thread.. :D

I have been in the Jap scene now for the past 5 years now so have a lot to say on the subject... :)

dessimpson
27-07-2007, 12:17 AM
That would be partly my fault as as soon as i joined i was directed to this thread due to my passion for Jap cars! :D

The Japs may not have cars in the lineup on par with the likes of the S5/A8 etc but the more common sector like the Hatch's saloons etc. ;)

Heck, if we thought they did everythign perfect we wouldnt be sat here on the Vdub forum talking in this thread.. :D

I have been in the Jap scene now for the past 5 years now so have a lot to say on the subject... :)

Me too. My previous three cars have been Japanese imports :beerchug:

Costly, but fun :D

You forgot MilCAN!! (Not on VAG cars though :) )

bestcara1
27-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Update on my RX-7 elfini bought at auction

When I first saw the car at the auction it looked absolutely stunning cosmetically in silver metallic with what I think is a veilside full body kit, my main concern at this point was that the car was a private entry and why would anyone enter such an immaculate looking car in an auction, my head told me that it must have a mechanical problem but my heart told me, along with my son, that I had to bid!

Once in front of the rostrum the auctioneer announced that it was for sale without reserve, again alarm bells were ringing but the car had sounded so sweet as the driver started her up and tweeked the accelerator, the car had its own audience and punters were looking and listening in/at the engine bay which was truly immaculately clean. I thought stuff it I'm going to have a go at this and consequently won the car......then immediately thought what have I done!

Only when I collected the car did I receive the V5 registration document, it showed that the car had been imported by an Asian guy from 'uddersfield on 01/06/07 who had apparantly sold it to a guy in Middlesex who had completed his details on the V5 as the new keeper then proceeded to cross his details out, at this point I guessed that the Asian had sold it to this guy who had brought it back with a problem, it was around about this time that I started to perspire profusely

Anyway the journey home consisted of me driving it to a fuel station whilst road testing it and then passing it over to my son who drove the next 60 miles home, I'd also picked up an A3 TDi so we swapped over and were on our way.

After a few miles he rang me to say that it felt as if there was fuel starvation everytime he tried to accelerate, I told him to keep going at a staedy speed and watch the temp gauge

When arrived on the drive at home the temp gauge went straight up to hot and on checking the coolant levels later on I found that it was virtually empty, now the fact that this was the one and only Wankel engine that I'd stood over, and not a specialist within 100 miles, I was not a happy bunny and not much sleep was had that night!

Yesterday I had a couple of telephone conversations with Pip at WGT Auto Developments in Cheshire who gave me some sound advice freely about how to go about topping up the coolant which I followed precisely, he also frightened me when he said that worst ways it could be an engine rebuild at £3,000!

As advised I topped it up the first time, took it for a 3 mile run and as I got back on our drive the temperature gauge shot up into the red again. I left it for a while to cool down and when I removed the reservoir cap i found that it had emptied again, so again I topped it up and took it down the road, this time I only went a couple of miles and the gauge stayed in the middle but the car was definately not happy, when I attempted to accelerate the car was stuttering like a mad thing, and I wasn't just whacking my foot down quickly I was driving it, or trying to drive it very moderately, I didn't sleep easily that night either!

On to today, I've got an Audi Cabriolet that needed a new electric aerial so I rang my mobile audio guy, Lee, who is a bit of an auto electrical genius and a lover of all things quick. When he arrived he told me that he had owned an RX-7 years ago when he lived in America, I immediately told him of the problems that I'd had and in a flash he'd forgotten the Audi and set about sorting the RX-7.

The car has a turbo boost gauge mounted on the dash and a turbo timer on the steering column, neither of which had worked from me collecting the car, he pulled a couple of fuse panels and tested them, they were all fine, then he noticed a loose wire that had just been snipped and left hanging, out came the volt meter and eventually he re-connected the loose wire which turned out to be the turbo timer, at this point it was as if the car gave a sigh of relief, no honestly it was, there was absolutely no lumpy idling as before.

With the fascia back in place and filled with confidence we took it up the road, I thought it only fair to let him drive, the difference in performance I just cannot begin to describe, the car was absolutely stunningly quick and totally free revving, the temp gauge remained central and God was truly in his heaven, he reckons that it's got a minimum of 330bhp but I'm considering getting that verified

I have now driven it several times, each journey longer than the last, and I still don't understand why a non working turbo timer caused the car to use water at such a rapid rate but to be honest I am just totally relieved that the car is now running as it is meant to, Lee thinks that somewhere along the line,probably in Japan, the car had a security system removed and in the process of removing it the turbo timer wire had been inadvertantly snipped and not rejoined.

Apologies if I've bored any of you with this mini saga but I'd just like to say to the Asian guy,if you're reading this (unlikely but hopefully), that obviously entered it into the auction thinking that he was about to seriously lift someone's leg and also thinking that it was in need of a VERY costly rebuild, THANK YOU, this is probably the cheapest RX-7 in this condition in the country and I can only think that you paid a LOT more to have it shipped from Japan. Admittedly after a bit of stressing ONE LOOSE WIRE RECONNECTED SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!

If anyone is interested I can post some pics of my vision of beauty, let me know as I've probably bored you all by this point

dessimpson
27-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Hope your luck holds out and that's all it was :)

p.s. Get the pics up :)

bestcara1
27-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Hope your luck holds out and that's all it was :)

p.s. Get the pics up :)

Cheers Des, me too, but honestly the way it's running now it's like a completely different car, it's difficult to believe that one thicko snipping and not rejoining one wire could cause so much stress:aargh4:

I'll wash her off tomorrow and post the pics:approve::biglaugh:

Fizzbitt
27-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Having just read the whole saga on the rex im chuffed to bits for you matey! :D

A couple of my friends have Rex's and both have had different issues at different points. As i said they are delicate engines.

I have NEVER heard of such symptons to be caused by just snipping the Turbo Timer wire though...:confused:

What i suggest is get on this forum and post up the above text and see what people have to say.

http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com/forums/

I dont understand how the coolant was being emptied? Did you have any signs of a leak? Steam?

Either way deffo get it posted up on there as im sure the local experts in all things Wankle will be able to advise you accordingly.

You really are lucky though bud, if you were to take that into a garage they would have taken an age to find (if they did at all) and charged you a bomb.

Who would have thought your mobile audio contact would have the key to the solution!! lol

Keeps us updated and deffo get some pics up!

p.s) check this link out... couple of nice RX7's in there.. old school and new school... ;)

bestcara1
27-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Here she is in all her glory, you might just notice that the Veilside nose cone is slightly off its clips on the offside but that'll be sorted:approve:

Fizzbitt
27-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Absolutely stunning matey! :approve:

Im not a big veilside bodykit fan but on the Rex it looks quite good minus the rear wing.

Forgot to add the link in my previous post of the pics i took...

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12839

Check out the bonnet on this rex.. will give you some more idea's for yours. :D
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r307/fizzbitt/JAE%202007/JAE2007026.jpg

bestcara1
27-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Yep that bonnet looks the biz, very nice

Edwardo_TDI
27-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Its cars like the RX-7 that make ANY top-notch Audi/VW look boring!

Not keen on the veilside kit, but it could be worse :P I would love an RX-7, but there isn't a hope in hell that I could afford to just run it! The fuel costs, very likely engine repairs and insurance costs are insane.

Best of luck with it though, you are very lucky :)