PDA

View Full Version : v5 bora

kenrib
27-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi i have recently bought a 2004 v5 bora auto, the fuel consumption is ridiculously high i only get 21 mpg average, in town it drops to around 17-18 my local vw dealer connected the computer to say nothing was wrong does anyone know what i can do to save fuel thanks kenrib:1zhelp:

Sam
27-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Welcome aboard!

Aside from the usual checking your tyre pressures, driving sensibly and so on there's nothing you can do. The V5 is a thirsty car.

EDIT: Just spotted it's an auto too, that'll cut a few MPGs off.

When you say just bought it, are you still within your 14 day cooling off period if you bought from a dealership?

Maybe take it back and get a TDi?

kenrib
27-06-2007, 11:41 AM
thanks for letting me know i wish i had joined the forum before i bought it. thanks

Eshrules
27-06-2007, 11:42 AM
:o i would have thought the fact it is a 2.3 v5 would have concerned you regards fuel economy :(

anyway, welcome to the forum! :beerchug:

kenrib
27-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Welcome aboard!

Aside from the usual checking your tyre pressures, driving sensibly and so on there's nothing you can do. The V5 is a thirsty car.

EDIT: Just spotted it's an auto too, that'll cut a few MPGs off.

When you say just bought it, are you still within your 14 day cooling off period if you bought from a dealership?

Maybe take it back and get a TDi?

unfortunately no, i have had it 2 months the dealer did giv e me a vw warranty after the fans packed up and the lumley warranty refused to pay for both fans, i had an audi 80 for 11 years no trouble then hond for 7 and now back to vw shud hav stuck with honda whoops sorry

v5paul
27-06-2007, 02:15 PM
21mpg average! Thats real bad. I get 33mpg average from my V5(manual),25mpg when driven hard.

kenrib
27-06-2007, 09:02 PM
the 33 mpg yu get when ticking over does the whole car seem to me ticking, i have one of thos phone holders stuck to my windscreen and stationary in traffic it is wobbling all over the plce, i paid 55 quid for a diagnostic only to be told it was normal, conicidentally when i drove away from the garage i overheated in the firts mile turned round went back and they said they had done nothing, but on checking the fam had pack up, yeah right 20000 miles and the fan packs up i think they saboitaged it to get 480 quid out of me.

v5paul
27-06-2007, 09:35 PM
No ticking on mine. Ive done 120k miles and the engine is still really smooth. Normally, V5's are very quiet on tick over. Sounds like you need to get it checked out at a good VW dealer or independent.

Eshrules
28-06-2007, 12:23 PM
the 33 mpg yu get when ticking over does the whole car seem to me ticking, i have one of thos phone holders stuck to my windscreen and stationary in traffic it is wobbling all over the plce, i paid 55 quid for a diagnostic only to be told it was normal, conicidentally when i drove away from the garage i overheated in the firts mile turned round went back and they said they had done nothing, but on checking the fam had pack up, yeah right 20000 miles and the fan packs up i think they saboitaged it to get 480 quid out of me.

you should have complained, the tables have turned in favour of the consumer now..... if you take a car in and it comes out with a fault it did not go in with, its THEIR responsibility to make sure its fixed, they couldnt dispute it. if in doubt, complain, complain & complain again. trust me, i know!